Author Topic: Long Lake  (Read 1334 times)

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
Long Lake
« on: Jan 17, 2008, 02:45 AM »
Theres a wild population of lake Trout in Long lake which is great. However, I drove by the other day and there must have been twenty people fishing there. Some people are keeping five lakers on a trip, since it was once stocked with lakers some people think they can. That's a lot of prusher on a wild population, if we don't start Voluntarily releasing them they wont be there for long.   

Just a thought   

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Long Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2008, 12:54 PM »
I think the State should set some new regs for that lake. I hate to see it but i keep hearing about people taking lakers out of that lake. I think lakers take about 5 years to reach sexual maturity. Most of the lakers that I have caught from there have been 12-20". That is not much of a laker and I would not keep anything under 30".  And i would be hard pressted to keep a 30" they don't taste that good. AND THE LIMIT IS 2. NOT 5. WILD POPULATION OF LAKE TROUT. Good post iced.

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2008, 01:31 PM »
Iced and Junky-

Its good to see that some other folks feel the same way as I do.  Just because there are fish in a lake and you catch them, you don't automatically have to keep them.  Especially with lakers, but with other fish as well.  It seems that the word gets out that you can catch fish somewhere and then before you can say "fanny's you uncle," people are posting photos of brood stock fish frozen on the ice.  Not trying to call any one individual out or anything, but the fish in the 22" and up are the ones making more lakers for us to catch.  WHY KILL THEM?? Excersise some restraint and only take what you will eat in ONE NIGHT!  It's not a contest to see who can clean out a lake the fastest. 

It's important to spread the word about catch and release, especially to new ice fisherman and fisherman in general.  I will start a thread on ways to help make sure that any fish you want to release stays alive once you send it back down the hole. 

Let's leave some fish for our kids....

Sorry for the rant.  I have been thinking about this topic for some time now, so it all came out here...

Cheers!

Jake

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2008, 04:01 PM »
This is from the ADF&G wild life note book on there web site

Spawning occurs for the first time after seven or eight years. Lake trout spawn every other year or less frequently in northern Alaska, while in some southern populations, such as those on the Kenai Peninsula, spawning may occur annually.

As for the wild stock so limit is 2 thats right however the law for a stocked population is 5 sice this was once stocked people  keep 5.

but the limit is 2 

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:21 PM »
Long lake has not been stocked with lake trout in 16 years [1988-1992]:o. But the lake trout are strong in the lake. For now ! I think the 22# laker that was in the ADN in Sept is making fishermen Flock to the lake, I think that AKanders has it right catch and release!  AKanders I hope you do post more about catch and release. The cold wether can kill a fish fast

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Junkie-

I suspect the same thing about the ADN Laker story.  My chin dropped right into my cherrios when I read her justification for keeping the fish, too.  I won't post it here out of respect, but it's about the lamest thing I have ever heard.  Apparently, she was owed a fish. 

I posted a lenghthy bit about C&R this afternoon.  If anyone has any feedback on that, let me know.  I also posted the same bit on AOD forums, since there is alot of hardwater talk on that site as well.  I bet I will get more flak there than here, though.....

Cheers!

Jake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.