Author Topic: Where to get knifes sharpened?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where to get knifes sharpened?
« on: Jan 25, 2006, 01:10 AM »
Well I'm looking for a place in Fairbanks area that can do a GOOD job on sharpening a few knifes for me.  I can do a pretty good touch up myself, but on these the angles are all messed up and on some the blade is nicked.

So, anyplace you guys reccomend?

Thanks

grumpymoe

Re: Where to get knifes sharpened?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:58 AM »
hey guys...check this thread out....snapped a pic last night of my Mora with new blades....Grump  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=32097.0

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Kevin, the Cutting edge is on Fox ave next to Florcraft and beside the furniture wholesale warehouse. Turn left by quality foods if coming from peger and then all the way down to the railroad yard and turn left second bldg on left, it's a blue quanset hut.

Brad

I think I will be sending my blades back to Eskimo to be re-sharpened I have the address for them if you need it.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:48 PM »
hey guys...check this thread out....snapped a pic last night of my Mora with new blades....Grump  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=32097.0

Oh wise Grump, You are the Yoda of ice fishing :bow: and I will have to try this on my power auger before I call Eskimo.

Thanks

Brad

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 02:01 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll check them out.

Kevin

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2006, 01:28 PM »
I like to use the Lansky sharpening system.  Keeps a constant angle (for 20 to 35 degrees I think) with multiple stones from coarse to diamond. 

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2006, 03:23 PM »
I picked up my auger yesterday after some warranty work @ Rod's. As you know the rope pulley broke, well I asked them to put a D-handle on so I could start it with big gloves or mittens and they did as part of the warranty, he even gave me an extra NGK plug to cross reference the Champion @ no charge to me. I picked up some Tanaka oil, which they said was really good.

I asked about blade sharpening ???. I told them about my blades not cutting and Rod said to bring them in. Eight dollars later he was finished, he said the reason they were not cutting was there was a small burr that was not visible with the naked eye and that was the reason. Hard to believe that something so minuet would cause a big problem. I have not tried them yet but hopefully problem solved and I won't need the shims Grump mentioned, although I now have some a sa backup.

Rod's is cheaper for sharpening and does a better job as far as customer service.

A++ to Rod's Saw shop

FF

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.