Author Topic: Sad sight today  (Read 2086 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sad sight today
« on: Dec 01, 2021, 02:01 PM »
Just drove by the Old Steves Sportsman's den on Hooksett. It was 90 percent bulldozed just a foundation.  I couldn't believe it. I know they have been closed for a while and he has passed away. I used that shop for many years.  Sad to see it go. Hope the family made out on the property.  Sad to see places like that go.
Salmonemia

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
Re: Sad sight today
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2021, 02:21 PM »
Wow haven't been by there and paid attention for a couple of months too bad his boat was there for a while and a couple years ago was buying shiners from him. was a great place to go all the old shops that were fun to walk around are going away. Weird not seeing suds and soda around too.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2021, 02:35 PM »
That sucks.  I know it has been closed for years, but used to be my go-to.  Always had great service there, a pleasure to stop in.  Seems these shops are dropping like flies.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:18 PM »
I agree Wayne, equally as sad is the old Riley's Gun Shop is now a used car lot....
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:42 AM »
That is sad!!
BUD

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2021, 04:46 AM »
I went by 2 days ago and was shocked also, I did find out that Steve's wife sold the property a short time ago and i believe she has moved up north where she (i do believe) guides hunters for bears and possibly deer. It is very sad to see any long running business vanish as did Riley's not long ago..

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2021, 10:10 AM »
What ever happened to Riley’s, I never saw or heard anything, then all of a sudden closed one day.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2021, 10:18 AM »
What ever happened to Riley’s, I never saw or heard anything, then all of a sudden closed one day.

I didn't realize it had closed either but I remember thinking they were probably in trouble when that nice new warehouse sized log cabin gun shop (can't remember the name) opened up right down the street from them... Don't know if that other place is still there either but it was a lot nicer to walk around in and check stuff out.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2021, 11:21 AM »
Rileys closed because it was hard to compete with the big box stores like shooters outpost he also told me online sales is what really killed him people would come in look at holsters or accessories see what they wanted and then go home and order online.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:46 PM »
Rileys closed because it was hard to compete with the big box stores like shooters outpost he also told me online sales is what really killed him people would come in look at holsters or accessories see what they wanted and then go home and order online.
I'm sure we have all done that at least once. I try to support local shops exclusively of i can..once the little shops are gone you cant do the above mentioned thing and the little guy gets shut off and your left with crappy box store service selling crap and have zero knowledge of products.  I like to save but unless it's a hard to find item I try hard to support the small shops.  I've been shopping wildlife since I was a kid.  Glad they are surviving.  I  drive by Steve's and riley's weekly. Sad to see such a big change. I avoid the log cabin theres a few smaller shops I utilize.  Ones a real gem. NH has a few hidden gems left. You'll be surprised and I  am glad to pay extra to an extent.
Salmonemia

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Agree 100%.... wildlife is 2 miles from my house and the new owner is a nice guy i was a little pissed when they started to charge to check in deer and weigh them but you have to pay for your help and i don't see many people popping in when they are checking deer or turkey even if you just buy a box of ammo or a new drag it helps them. their prices are good too right in line with any of the box stores just bought a new jet sled it was maybe 3 dollars more than dicks or bass pro but worth it. They even beat suds and soda on a price for a new TC a couple years ago.

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2021, 04:00 PM »
That’s too bad, I bought almost all of my firearms from cpl years ago from them. I did not like to go to shooters because of the way the owner treated me, after I had a incident that he did not have all the facts about. Needless to say unfortunately along with gun stores this is happening to all the small and local tackle shops and bait shops. It’s been my dream to open my own tackle shop one day  but with the way things are going it won’t happen.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2021, 04:45 PM »
I miss newfound trading post too love nosing around those places
BUD

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2021, 06:01 PM »
I miss newfound trading post too love nosing around those places

The Newfound TP is still open…(trading post not toilet paper)🤣

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2021, 06:33 PM »
Maybe he meant Skips.
Another good little shop that's no more
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2021, 10:14 PM »
Maybe he meant Skips.
Another good little shop that's no more
That’s right…did a bit of business with them. I don’t think he was “forced” out of business…just retired is my thinking.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2021, 05:51 AM »
That’s right…did a bit of business with them. I don’t think he was “forced” out of business…just retired is my thinking.
You are correct. Still sad to see a local small business go away
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:32 AM »
I too was very sad to see Riley's go out of business so all of a sudden, no going out of business sale? Something more there than meets the eye, IMO>
There is 1 other store that nobody ever mentions Barn store in Salisbury NH, they sell reloading supplies, guns and fishing equipment, decent prices on their guns also. I do believe they sell shiners in winter (call to check) As far as shooters outpost, I am not a big fan..(personal reasons)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2021, 08:52 AM »
Riley's sold off everything to other smaller businesses. 2A Tactical got alot of it.
I don't know if that was just easier for them?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2021, 09:13 AM »
I too was very sad to see Riley's go out of business so all of a sudden, no going out of business sale? Something more there than meets the eye, IMO>
There is 1 other store that nobody ever mentions Barn store in Salisbury NH, they sell reloading supplies, guns and fishing equipment, decent prices on their guns also. I do believe they sell shiners in winter (call to check) As far as shooters outpost, I am not a big fan..(personal reasons)
I like the barn store….all kinda goodies there.
There was a small shop on route 3  near Boscowen on the way to concord on the back road…I think I saw a”for sale” sign on it last week…can’t recall the name of the shop…just looked it up..Marshall Firearms.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.