Author Topic: Lite Weight Drill Augers  (Read 7457 times)

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lite Weight Drill Augers
« Reply #30 on: Sep 09, 2021, 05:20 AM »
Badger, ski and Agro - thanks for the great info. Makes me even more excited to leave the propane auger at home. (Ill still have the same amount of weight in my sled just trading auger for toddler - hopeful he enjoys it as much as I do)

Thorney, sorry about a bit of a hijack, hope the information was helpful to you too!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Sep 09, 2021, 05:45 AM »

I’m curious how many can also be used for hand drilling like the nils if the unthinkable happens

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Sep 09, 2021, 06:10 AM »
The break through is tough on the lazers..even on the Mora at times ..one bad injury/wrenching you could be impaired or worse yet out of commission for the season . Having a center point is a plus ... I am a Clam Plate fan boy ..on my 7.5 K-Drill ..8" HT E-Drill ...and soon to be 8"  Eskimo Pistol Bit..but to each their own and its always good to have options .

I'm just gonna pick up another 7" Mora bit. I slapped the drill on the 6 just as a test late last season and it worked well enough for me without the wrist wrenching on breakthrough. I actually had a 7" Mora before the Lazer, but had sold it because at the time I wasn't using a drill. So it'll just be 6" Mora for hand work and 7" Mora for the drill for me from here on out. I pretty much only used the drill once the ice was past about 8" thick, which is a fairly short amount of the season this far south.

Hand cutting much past 7-8" of ice just flares up my shoulders like the dickens these days, or I wouldn't even have bothered doing a drill setup. I rarely drill more than 3 or 4 holes in a day.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Sep 09, 2021, 06:30 AM »
I’m curious how many can also be used for hand drilling like the nils if the unthinkable happens

I may have to try my 8" HT E-Drill with my SM Lazer hand auger handle..The HT is shorter then my Eskimo Pistol Bit so it maybe much easier . It was never a concern in the past as I always brought any drill for ice anchor installation . This season I will be adding the ION Quick Release so the SM handle may have to tag along ..I will do a review on Quick Release once I see how it performs on ice .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Sep 09, 2021, 06:40 AM »

Nisus, a new sponsor of the site, has several options that double as a hand auger. Most are out of stock till october.
Da Pack!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Sep 09, 2021, 07:10 AM »

Thanks guys

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Sep 09, 2021, 10:18 AM »
I fish dirty ice (silty river) and open old holes often. The K-drill works perfectly for me.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2021, 10:38 AM »
I fish dirty ice (silty river) and open old holes often. The K-drill works perfectly for me.

Would that happen to be the ole mississippi? I need to find someone to take me out down there. I've never fished a river system before.
Da Pack!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Sep 09, 2021, 05:02 PM »
This season I will be adding the ION Quick Release so the SM handle may have to tag along ..I will do a review on Quick Release once I see how it performs on ice .
That is a great idea. I have used the Eskimo quick release on my old SM Lazer gas auger and it worked just fine. I'm assuming you are planning on using the ION quick release on your Clam plate? I'm just curious if the ION version is 18mm on both ends of it or not. The Eskimo version is 22mm so if I were to try that out with a Clam plate I would need two adapters to go from 18mm to 22mm and back to 18mm again just to use a quick release with the Clam plate and the Pistol bit.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Sep 09, 2021, 05:14 PM »
That is a great idea. I have used the Eskimo quick release on my old SM Lazer gas auger and it worked just fine. I'm assuming you are planning on using the ION quick release on your Clam plate? I'm just curious if the ION version is 18mm on both ends of it or not. The Eskimo version is 22mm so if I were to try that out with a Clam plate I would need two adapters to go from 18mm to 22mm and back to 18mm again just to use a quick release with the Clam plate and the Pistol bit.

It was designed to go onto the ION powerhead output shaft 18mm ...so it fits onto the Clam Plate output shaft 18mm as well ..the Quick Releases Stub is also 18 mm ...fitting the Eskimo Pistol Bit/ION .. HT E-Drill ..most hand augers..and tons of other options . I was confused as to what it did or didn't fit when I ordered it . Yes I am going to use on my Clam Plate . You can also buy the Stub for $20 so if you have multiple augers sizes/types you can swap out.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Sep 09, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for that info HD, I think I will pick one up as soon as I can.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Sep 09, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for that info HD, I think I will pick one up as soon as I can.

Going to have to do a good review . It is a really nice option/tool making quick work for the ice anchors..also think I can save some space by breaking it down ..standing up the auger unit in a smaller sled ..think last ice mobility .

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2021, 08:16 PM »
Nills  6 inch hand sugar with a Milwaukee brushless. Sweeter than Dutch cheese.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #44 on: Sep 17, 2021, 08:23 PM »
Sweeter than hand sugar?lol jk

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Sep 17, 2021, 08:27 PM »
Sorry.  Typing class was in 9 th grade in1969.  I'll try to do better.  Good luck on the ice to you and yoursp

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Sep 17, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Going to have to do a good review . It is a really nice option/tool making quick work for the ice anchors..also think I can save some space by breaking it down ..standing up the auger unit in a smaller sled ..think last ice mobility .
one thing I would suggest on that eskimo/ion quick connect is to either check your  bolt connection regularly on that bottem allen bolt, or add something like loc-tite on or something similar as that thing will spin and and loosen up after awhile after you pop your auger on and off of your power unit if  you use it alot.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Sep 18, 2021, 06:57 AM »
one thing I would suggest on that eskimo/ion quick connect is to either check your  bolt connection regularly on that bottem allen bolt, or add something like loc-tite on or something similar as that thing will spin and and loosen up after awhile after you pop your auger on and off of your power unit if  you use it alot.

I always carry a lil blue tube of Loctite in my bag of tricks/tools..lil dab will do ya for sure.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Sep 28, 2021, 08:32 PM »
I ordered the Vevor 8" auger and it arrived the other day.  I don't have any experience with other augers for drills, but it seems well built. 

It came with quite a few accessories:  heavy duty blade cover, spare set of blades, a disk to prevent dropping in to the hole if it spins loose, and extension rod with three heights.  The extension rod requires the disk to be removed, to prevent the bit from coming loose there is a part that hooks over the drill and also comes with a handle.

There is still a $20 off coupon through Amazon, unused it seems like a good purchase - looking forward to trying it out.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Sep 28, 2021, 09:07 PM »
I ordered the Vevor 8" auger and it arrived the other day.  I don't have any experience with other augers for drills, but it seems well built. 

It came with quite a few accessories:  heavy duty blade cover, spare set of blades, a disk to prevent dropping in to the hole if it spins loose, and extension rod with three heights.  The extension rod requires the disk to be removed, to prevent the bit from coming loose there is a part that hooks over the drill and also comes with a handle.

There is still a $20 off coupon through Amazon, unused it seems like a good purchase - looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks .. could you post the actual height of the drill unit from center point to the top of the drill bit w/o any adapter ? How fast was the shipping as its sold by a third party via Amazon?

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Sep 29, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Thanks .. could you post the actual height of the drill unit from center point to the top of the drill bit w/o any adapter ? How fast was the shipping as its sold by a third party via Amazon?

HD-Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. I took measurements and it came out to 37 1/4".  Not sure where they got that 39" measurement.  I ordered on Sept 15th and it was delivered on Sept 17th.  I used the $5 coupon code and it came out to $111.29 after taxes.  it was purchased directly through Amazon and it has Veximo listed as the seller which appears to be the name of the Vevor storefront on Amazon.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Sep 29, 2021, 09:44 AM »
HD-Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. I took measurements and it came out to 37 1/4".  Not sure where they got that 39" measurement.  I ordered on Sept 15th and it was delivered on Sept 17th.  I used the $5 coupon code and it came out to $111.29 after taxes.  it was purchased directly through Amazon and it has Veximo listed as the seller which appears to be the name of the Vevor storefront on Amazon.

This helps a lot..One other question ..is it Red or Yellow ?..the picture and description were not matching up .

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Sep 29, 2021, 09:58 AM »
This helps a lot..One other question ..is it Red or Yellow ?..the picture and description were not matching up .

Neither, it's Orange
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Sep 29, 2021, 10:11 AM »
Neither, it's Orange

Thank you ..Unique color from the rest of the offerings out there.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Sep 29, 2021, 03:25 PM »

The 8” auger is 37 and 1/4” long too. Shipping took 4 days.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Sep 29, 2021, 03:52 PM »
The 8” auger is 37 and 1/4” long too. Shipping took 4 days.

Thanks.. with a very competitive price point and its availability that Vevor is a good option..I can pass it along to my local/fellow anglers who I have been working on ...making it my 6th convert with a 7thin the wings  that needs a lil more coaxing to go cordless. :thumbsup:

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Sep 30, 2021, 05:34 AM »
Is it really 6 pounds? 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Sep 30, 2021, 07:06 AM »
Is it really 6 pounds?

If it constructed similar to my HT E-Drill ..its very light weight ..note their are two 8" models ..links below

Vevor 6"

High-Performance Drilling: The ice drill auger’s effective length is: 39 inches, rotating diameter: 6 inches, weight: 4.9 lbs/ 2.2kg. It is lightweight, sharp, and durable. It can be used with an electric drill to meet your daily needs.

Vevor 8"

High-Performance Drilling: The ice drill auger’s effective length is: 39 inches, rotating diameter: 8 inches, weight: 6.4 lbs/2.9 kg. It is lightweight, sharp, and durable. It can be used with an electric drill to meet your daily needs.

Also 8"

High-Performance Drilling: The ice drill auger’s effective length is: 41 inches (without the extension rod), rotating diameter: 8 inches, weight: 11.13 lbs/5.05 kg. It is the ideal choice for ice fishing, science exploration, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Diameter-Adapter-Fishing-Burrowing/dp/B09B9DJ1YR/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=vevor+ice+auger&qid=1633003082&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Diameter-Adapter-Fishing-Burrowing/dp/B09B6PT6YP/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=vevor+ice+auger&qid=1633003082&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Diameter-Adjustable-Extension-Replaceable/dp/B09BDT65GS/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=vevor+ice+auger&qid=1633003082&sr=8-5

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Sep 30, 2021, 09:33 AM »
Ordering today

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.