Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: East/West Lake Okoboji - Any Help appreciated  (Read 1020 times)

Offline gords

• IceShanty Rookie
East/West Lake Okoboji - Any Help appreciated
« on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Hey all,
Taking the my daughters and nephews out to ice this weekend for their first time. I'm from Central Iowa so never been to Lake Okoboji. Any pointers or locations anyone recommend to get a decent bite for my little ones?
I'll probably stop by the bait shops, but sometimes info here is just as good or better.

Really would be awesome to get them on some yellows, perch, or even walleyes.

Any help would be great and appreciated. I'll definitely return the favor on hot spots in central iowa if you want to just PM me.

Thank again!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: East/West Lake Okoboji - Any Help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:22 AM »
East is good for yellows. Some days are better than others. Gills are going good on West. Triboji, little Emerson, Miller’s all have been good. Lots of people fishing for them so they are finicky. Perch are biting on West also but you have to fish deep water for them. 30-60 ft deep. I did good last time I tried for perch. I was in 57 fow though. Walleye I would head over to Silver by Lake Park.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Hey all,
Taking the my daughters and nephews out to ice this weekend for their first time. I'm from Central Iowa so never been to Lake Okoboji. Any pointers or locations anyone recommend to get a decent bite for my little ones?
I'll probably stop by the bait shops, but sometimes info here is just as good or better.

Really would be awesome to get them on some yellows, perch, or even walleyes.

Any help would be great and appreciated. I'll definitely return the favor on hot spots in central iowa if you want to just PM me.

Thank again!
Here's a few points I'd keep in mind; I fish IGL frequently.

If you're coming up this weekend keep in mind that we're supposed to get 4-6" of snow tonight which might make it sketchy if you plan to drive on the Lake. It will also be super cold Saturday so plan accordingly for that. Spirit Lake is a bad idea if you're driving because most of the accesses are trashed, and it's not really a great place for young kids unless you know where you're headed. Lots of chasing walleyes and perch all over, and on that lake you likely won't run into as many people willing to help you locate.

If you are on foot, East Okoboji is going to be tough because it will be a fairly long walk. Up to 3/4 of a mile to the spots I've heard they are biting. I was in Stan's last Saturday getting fish cleaned and there were a couple of full 5 gallon buckets of yellows, but where those guys caught them is a hell of a long jaunt from the nearest access. Smith's Bay and the trestle bridge (directly across the bridge from Smith's on the East Okoboji side) have been slow; if you do go there, do not walk from one side to the other under the bridge. people have drowned doing that in the past.

Like Buckshots said the bite is super, super finicky. If you have kids you're going to have to be patient because the panfish just aren't aggressive anywhere on the lake. A spring bobber or soft noodle rod is just about required equipment. I get 5 or 6 crappie per limit of gills and they seem to be hugging bottom like the gills. As far as presentation, small, small, small. The tiniest plastics are working best for me right now, I can't get spikes going at all. Your experience with bait may be different. As far as timing, like most places it's best at dawn and approaching dusk.

If I were headed to IGL with first-time kids it would probably be Emerson or Triboji (just a recommendation, I can't guarantee fish and the bite changes from bay to bay almost daily). Just keep in mind that it will be crowded and there will be plenty of people flying around on snowmobiles and four-wheelers. Unfortunately many of those are kids who don't watch where they're going. Hope you have luck with the kids.

Offline bmahler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:14 AM »
One of the smaller lakes in that area like Lost Island, 5 Island, Trumbull, or Silver (Palo Alto) might be a good option.  Much easier accessing where the fish are biting, and decent bites going on.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Go to east lake. Get out on the big flats. With a jig and wax worm. You will catch yellow,perch,gills,crappie and eyes from one hole. You never know what you are bring up.

Offline gords

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:25 PM »
You guys are Great! thanks for the heads up. Definitely helps.
Also, where on East would be best to access the lake for us on foot? Would really like the kids to try and get some yellows. I was able to locate Triboji and Emerson on the maps, so we will hit those too. Thanks again all for your help and I sure hope We can catch some fish for the kiddos!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Have fun up there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.