Author Topic: Custom Jig & Spin's Rotating Power Minnow and Slender Spoon  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Has anyone used Custom Jig & Spins RPM (Rotating Power Minnow)?  I picked up one in the Red Glow Tiger color in size 3 (1/4 ounce - 2") and one if their Slender Spoons - Pro Series in 1/16 ounce Nickle/Pink Tiger.    I was wondering how well they worked and if there were any tips for using them.  They look pretty good but we all know looking good and working well can be two different things. 

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: Custom Jig & Spin's Rotating Power Minnow and Slender Spoon
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:33 PM »
I have a couple of the power minnows,  but I  have not had any luck with them yet.  In fairness,  I have not used them a whole lot so I  honestly can't say if they work or not.

Slender spoons on the other hand absolutely work.  I  always have a  pole rigged with one.  Crappies,  gills, and  perch, and northern love them. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2017, 07:13 AM »
What size Slender Spoons do you use and is there a must have color?

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2017, 07:18 AM »
I have used the slender spoon and have caught a lot of fish on it.  The 1/8 size is versatile for all species and I think it has the best flutter while also having enough weight to get down the hole.  I have used the 1/4 some but my best is the 1/8.  all colors have produced from plain gold or silver with different tapes to the pro series that are painted

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2017, 07:40 AM »
I used both for the first time this past winter, had luck with both! I'd recommend them!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:39 AM »
i use 1/16 oz slender spoon only and tip it with spikes. it is not my go to lure. it's a back up plan when nothing else works or to try to get fish to my area. it walks away from the sonar cone too much also and if you have a camera down it can get caught up in it.

i target pan fish only tho. fish see different colors every day. so one color may work well on one day but not the next. my go to color in lures is gold for day time and blue glow for night time.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:46 AM »
What size Slender Spoons do you use and is there a must have color?

What are you targeting?

They are great spoon for anything from panfish, to walleye to trout.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2017, 12:07 PM »
For panfish, I use the 1/16oz slender spoons quite a bit. Either with a gold or nickel/chrome finish depending on the water I'm fishing. One thing I do is remove the small treble hook and replace it with a Shrimpo jig and plastic. I found that there are times when a smaller bluegill will get all 3 of the hooks from the treble in its mouth, this can be challenging to remove without damaging the fishes mouth

For perch and walleyes, I prefer the 1/8oz size spoon and leave the treble hook as is

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2017, 04:02 PM »
The slender spoons have a great action to them. I've caught quite a few Lakers and my 1st steelhead on the largest spoon.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2017, 04:57 PM »
I use mostly the 1/16 oz.  My go to colors are chartreuse, and gold, or red and gold.

On the drop, the spoon does go outside the flasher cone, but once it reaches the desired depth, it comes back into the cone. I usually use subtle jigging strokes so the spoon does not get beyond the cone, and I don't have issues with it tangling up.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2017, 05:37 PM »
I target pan fish and bass.

Chute82

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Slender spoon is a fish catching machine.  I pounded the fish the first time I used the smallest slender spoon in chartreuse/gold on crappies ... the 1/8 size I have caught perch and walleye on.  Fishusa.com has a sale on slender spoons in custom colors..

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:44 PM »
I bought 6 more slender spoons to go with the other 6 I bought earlier. Also got some Northland glo-shot spoons to try.
jbird68

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:24 PM »
the slender spoon is one of my favorite spoons for ice fishing. i've used it (in various sizes) to catch everything from trophy bluegills to magnum rainbow trout. i'm especially fond of the black nickel and gold colors!

i've only just started using the rotating power minnow, and honestly i'm planning to buy more. the one i have is a bit large for my normal fishing style, but this season i've been using it alongside salmo chubby darters and jigging rapalas to put some quality perch on the ice.

since mine is so large (i won it during the 2017 iceshanty photo contest) i start by working the perch into a frenzy with the salmo chubby darter or the jigging rapala. when i've got a sizable school piled up below me, i bomb the RPM straight to the bottom, pound it a few times to stir up the mud, then gently shiver it just off the bottom. almost every single time, i get hit hard by better-than-average perch, usually in the 11 inch range, which is top end size for this body of water right now.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:26 AM »
The slender spoon is my go to spoon..

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:37 AM »
gold 1/8 slender. any color tape seems to be good, glow and greens are fav. i change the hook to a single. white and yellow perch, pike, lake trout etc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.