Author Topic: copper colored spoons for yellow perch ?  (Read 7226 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
copper colored spoons for yellow perch ?
« on: Nov 14, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Have any of you tried copper colored spoons for yellow perch ? and how much differance between it and gold under the ice would their be ? any replies appreciated .

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: copper colored spoons for yellow perch ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2021, 08:43 PM »
Perhaps it doesn't really matter as much for the fish.  However it may matter to the extent of the forage.  The reason I like gold as in brass or silver as in nickel finish is that often it imitates baitfish.  The copper color is often more of a dull finish closer to that of aquatic insects or invertebrates.  There has been times where copper is hot.  However gold or silver is always a solid choice for me.

As in a matter of actual jigging, I would prefer to use dull matted paint jobs for when I'm pounding the bottom.  If I'm just fluttering in mid water column, I would often choose shiny stuff.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2021, 06:38 AM »
Based on my observations from the past few seasons I would recommend stocking up on a variety of spoon colors and shapes.  I've spent more time the last few years set up for spearing pike - obviously a sight fishing endeavor - and pretty much ALWAYS have perch come in to the decoy, whether it be a fake deke or a live one.  Perch are very curious about what's going on and movement really draws them in.  Whenever I had a decent sized perch come into view I would drop a spoon down the hole - color really didn't seem to matter AT THAT POINT - the spoons action was the draw.  Once I got the attention of the particular fish I was targeting I would start the process of trying to entice a strike by raising the spoon up to get a chase - and while they often follow they would strike a low percentage of the time and usually would break off the chase.  When I would drop the spoon back down these fish would usually re-engage but would rarely chase upwards again  - but, boy does it fire them up if you drop that spoon and lay it on the bottom.  Often times they would pick it right up, but with a small and subtle movement to make that spoon crawl and flop on the bottom would almost always draw a strike - all on a bare spoon. 

Here is where I found the color to become critical - once I hooked a fish on a particular color pattern spoon it was seldom that same spoon would draw another strike when immediately dropped back down the hole, but if I changed up to a different color they would re-engage a high percentage of the time.  If they didn't I would change spoons again and often this would draw them back in. 

When those perch are in a neutral mode change up colors and spoon styles often and don't be afraid to lay it right on the bottom - same thing for lake trout.  On a hot bite they'll chase and hit about anything/everything.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2021, 07:04 AM »
My best success on Perch hasn't been shiny at all.

I like the painted Northland Forage Minnows in 1/32 ounce tipped with Wigglers when jigging. Color doesn't seem to matter. Bigger Bluegill like these too.

And #16 or 18 trebles with minnows on a dead stick or auto fisherman.

I know this wasn't what you asked, but just wanted to share what has worked best for me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2021, 09:52 AM »
My best success on Perch hasn't been shiny at all.

I like the painted Northland Forage Minnows in 1/32 ounce tipped with Wigglers when jigging. Color doesn't seem to matter. Bigger Bluegill like these too.

And #16 or 18 trebles with minnows on a dead stick or auto fisherman.

I know this wasn't what you asked, but just wanted to share what has worked best for me.

Have to second that as my useage, too. For spoons, I prefer the bright gold.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2021, 07:55 PM »
I have used all metal colored spoons for perch and had luck with pretty well all of them with a slight edge to the silver ones, especially for white fish.  Have also used ones that are half and half (wetaskiwin special), but metal colors always seem to be a good choice. Good jigging action on spoons so I will use them on dropper rigs as well.

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:08 PM »
I like shiny spoons as well.  At one time, I like the Silver and Gold ones.  But there was a sale on a copper version of the spoon I like to use so I thought I would give it as try.  What a surprise it worked just as well.  It was a Williams Wobbler size 30.  Don't know how many jig using the smaller Williams for pan-fish, but they do work.  Very flashy and the action is beautiful.  Put on a minnow head, or most of the time a plastic anise salmon egg.  Same ones you use for trout.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:28 PM »
I love this post since I love to target yellow perch. My go-to color is actually copper. I've had great success with copper colored jigs, but that may be more because of a self-reinforced bias than anything, because that's what I like to start with.

I used to make my own jigs but I now rely on a variety of models that I buy from Sweden (home of the Swedish Pimple). The ones I prefer the most have one side copper colored and the other silver. See photo.

The most I caught in March of last year was 245 yellows in one session. Yes, many of them were small, but about 10 were over 14'. What to make of that information? I don't know. But I like to think that copper works. Well, it does for me, anyway.

Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:37 PM »
That top one looks like a Bergman FishingFredrik. Love that pirken.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:41 PM »

It is indeed a Bergman-pirken (The Bergman jigging spoon). A Swedish classic. I have a few, but they're almost impossible to find.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2023, 12:01 AM »

I'm curious to know how you know about Bergman? Not many people in the US would have heard of it.

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2023, 12:27 AM »
I have many pirkens from Sweden. Olles SM, Olles Ace, Olles Favorite, Bergman, Anders, Hebbe, Linkoping pirken, Ran, Bore, Vernern, Masters and many others. They all catch perch.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2023, 05:43 AM »
I have many pirkens from Sweden. Olles SM, Olles Ace, Olles Favorite, Bergman, Anders, Hebbe, Linkoping pirken, Ran, Bore, Vernern, Masters and many others. They all catch perch.

I'm impressed. I know, or have heard of most of these. And yes, they do indeed catch perch.

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2023, 03:49 PM »
Fredick,
You have a PM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.