Author Topic: New Member, Gear suggestions?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline LIVINtheLIFE

• IceShanty Rookie
New Member, Gear suggestions?
« on: Mar 25, 2020, 02:38 PM »
New member, but not new to ice fishing! I posted this in the general chat too, I did not realize there was an equipment chat. Been ice fishing a long time albeit I don’t get out as often as I could and don’t know a lot about gear. This year that changed, been trying to get out a lot and still 2-3 feet of ice in most places right now where I live. I’m in the market for a new auger/gear, late in the season for sure but getting setup for next year! Looking at getting into a drill/hand auger combo to replace my Eskimo gas auger. Currently I have 3 options I’ve narrowed down to, I live in Canada and with this stuff going on resources are limited to get gear out of the states, that being said I’ve found a used Nils 8” auger(42”) and pointed head for $75CAD, was mounted to an old Tanaka so without saying it doesn’t come with a handle and it doesn’t come with a blade cover. Blades look great but they are rusty(would cost roughly $200CAD extra after shipping to get a new handle, blade cover and drill adapter from Nils). Total ~$275 for the Nils said and done that is if the blades don’t need touched up. Other options I’m looking at are a Fin-BoreIII(Full setup brand new with adapter $150CAD shipped to my door) and lastly my final option is a new Strikemaster Lite Flite, I found one on sale right now for $280CAD all said and done shipped to my door. So is the used Nils auger worth the extra effort and cost? Fin-Bore is the cheapest and arguably more durable/easier to maintain setup at the cost of about 2Lbs heavier(compared to Lite Flite)and it’s shorter being matched with a cordless drill(shorter flighting as well if that matters). Strikemaster was designed for the drill, most expensive option and it is brand new and lightest. Only downside is there is no handle incase the drill was to fail, I could make one I’m a welder by trade, but I’m unsure how these composite drills work if you we’re to try by hand. Any input? Hoping to fish for another week or two here before season end! Thanks!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New Member, Gear suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2020, 06:28 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.