Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819583 times)

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1950 on: Sep 23, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Question for smitty sled builders, is a wider ski stance easier to pull ? My one man flip is 26" wide at the sled base, I'm cutting the cross braces so that the ski stance is 32" on center.  Any help would be appreciated, my first attempt at building a smitty sled.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1951 on: Sep 23, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Question for smitty sled builders, is a wider ski stance easier to pull ? My one man flip is 26" wide at the sled base, I'm cutting the cross braces so that the ski stance is 32" on center.  Any help would be appreciated, my first attempt at building a smitty sled.

That size should be fine ..wider is better if the load is tall..also some folks haul their auger and or a hub shelter on wider cross braces .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1952 on: Sep 26, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Always a trade-off on any of the dimensions----a wider sled will be harder to turn. Might be a factor if you are pulling down a trail before getting on the ice
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1953 on: Sep 29, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Agree......the wider the sled.....the harder to turn.....
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1954 on: Sep 29, 2020, 06:11 PM »
Always a trade-off on any of the dimensions----a wider sled will be harder to turn. Might be a factor if you are pulling down a trail before getting on the ice
I will agree the wider not really the best. I made mine wide enough to put my frabil commando on with my auger a strikemaster electra beside it and that was not the best decision imho. Wider than most track or wheeled powered pullers, this made a lot of my pulling on part trailed and part fresh snow surfaces, a little harder to pull sometimes.  Reason 2 is because of the width and fresh powder your sled can belly out and make you pull with the middle making contact with the snow.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #1955 on: Oct 10, 2020, 05:48 AM »
I was coming in here to ask a similar question. I too want to narrow my base. Going from 6" over on both sides of sled to about even with the width....easier turns and able to pull through narrower passages. My problem "might" be is that I attached PVC goal posts on each end (inside) of sled to support my hub shanty. It sits about 20" off the bottom of sled so that I can store accessories under hub, inside sled. Does anyone see this being too top heavy? Best way is to try but looking for feedback from those that have tried or you engineers/physics experts that see a potential avalanche.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1956 on: Oct 13, 2020, 07:36 PM »
I know I've said it before but I'll say it again..

A good width to shoot for is wide enough to fit in the tracks of a quad.. Could make pulling easier if there's a lot of snow and you are walking out far.. There's often tracks you can follow most of the way..

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1957 on: Nov 07, 2020, 11:35 AM »
I know I've said it before but I'll say it again..

A good width to shoot for is wide enough to fit in the tracks of a quad.. Could make pulling easier if there's a lot of snow and you are walking out far.. There's often tracks you can follow most of the way..

X2- I matched the width of my snowmobile skis. Gives the skis a nice track to follow, and seems to pull smoother. I am using a Smitty to save the bottom of my tub, not for ease of pulling. When the quads plow around through the slush, and it freezes hard, the lake surface gets like a cheese grater, and has punched holes in my tub.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1958 on: Nov 08, 2020, 01:38 PM »
I was coming in here to ask a similar question. I too want to narrow my base. Going from 6" over on both sides of sled to about even with the width....easier turns and able to pull through narrower passages. My problem "might" be is that I attached PVC goal posts on each end (inside) of sled to support my hub shanty. It sits about 20" off the bottom of sled so that I can store accessories under hub, inside sled. Does anyone see this being too top heavy? Best way is to try but looking for feedback from those that have tried or you engineers/physics experts that see a potential avalanche.

I thought about putting my hub and auger above my sled, but thought it might be top heavy, so I extended the back of my frame and mounted my auger there and built a holder that I bolted to the front of my sled for my hub, send to work good so far.

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1959 on: Nov 09, 2020, 07:19 PM »
Finally got around to making a smitty sled of my own. Borrowed multiple ideas from here (thanks to all who post on here), YouTube, etc mixed in with a few thoughts of my own. My goal was to be as light as possible while using readily available materials at Menards. Still have a few things to finish up but felt it was ready for a photo debut. Just need to figure out how to secure the flip shelter or the jet sled depending if I'm taking the flip or the hub.

Offline BreweryBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1960 on: Nov 14, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Hello everyone
New here. Just found this board looking for ideas for a drop down Smitty. I know KC who is (or was) a member here posted his version of a drop down. It was posted several years ago. However, I can't find the pics. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am trying to avoid going through all 66 pages looking for the pics/post. Or alternatively does anyone else have ideas on a drop down version?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1961 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Hello everyone
New here. Just found this board looking for ideas for a drop down Smitty. I know KC who is (or was) a member here posted his version of a drop down. It was posted several years ago. However, I can't find the pics. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am trying to avoid going through all 66 pages looking for the pics/post. Or alternatively does anyone else have ideas on a drop down version?

You should add your location to your profile ..county and state ..looks like the pictures are remove via the PhotoBucket debacle ...maybe PM the poster and see if he can update the photos or send you a copy . Going to need a couple more posts to PM a member I believe...I used the SEARCH function to find "drop down" FTR.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.msg2890968;topicseen#msg2890968
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1962 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10:04 AM »
The drop down version used coffee table hinges- There was one that used wooden home Made ones, and another that used commercial ones from Amazon. If you look at the Amazon ones, you can imagine how to fab your own if you want, but the commercial ones seem cheap enough and have a mechanism to keep them from folding back down.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=coffee+table+hinges+heavy+duty&crid=66MS5R5GGXD6&sprefix=coffee+table+hit%2Caps%2C199&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_3_16

Offline BreweryBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1963 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Thanks guys!
I added my location to my profile.

I will have to start posting so I can contact KC  ;D

Side note...I tried to post pics to another thread but something didn't work. Is there a secret?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1964 on: Nov 14, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Thanks guys!
I added my location to my profile.

I will have to start posting so I can contact KC  ;D

Side note...I tried to post pics to another thread but something didn't work. Is there a secret?

no secret

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.msg300148#msg300148

some threads to brush up on

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=43.0

Offline BreweryBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1965 on: Nov 15, 2020, 08:04 AM »
Yea...doesn't work for me. Keeps telling me site can't be opened. I guess no picture posting for me. O-well...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1966 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:29 AM »
Hello everyone
Folding legs same as coffee table legs.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=folding+smity+sled&docid=608026039281845381&mid=3F7329D5549BCB5416133F7329D5549BCB541613&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
<===Lefty===

Offline BreweryBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1967 on: Nov 16, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Thanks Badger
I did see someone else post that elsewhere. That is the way I am going to go. I ordered the hinges yesterday. My only concern is that they are sturdy enough. Time will tell. I have a Fish Trap Yukon I bought new about 10 years ago so I am not sure what the base weight is (without gear). I am also thinking of adding some wheels to it for going across parking lots and up ramps.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1968 on: Nov 16, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Thanks Badger
I did see someone else post that elsewhere. That is the way I am going to go. I ordered the hinges yesterday. My only concern is that they are sturdy enough. Time will tell. I have a Fish Trap Yukon I bought new about 10 years ago so I am not sure what the base weight is (without gear). I am also thinking of adding some wheels to it for going across parking lots and up ramps.

Some good posts on wheels ..you may want to review the entire Smitty Sled thread ..lot of reading but you will see lots of ideas ...and answers to questions you have not even thought of yet.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1969 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:20 PM »
finally got around to making my own Smitty

Just need to paint the wood and get some carabiners for the rope

Catchin' Fish

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1970 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:34 PM »
what process you gonna use to keep sled attached to the frame?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1971 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:03 PM »
"
I made this one a long time ago, the 2X6" risers  are "sistered" to 3/4" marine grade plywood using liquid nails and SS #10 wood screws for strength along the grain,cross pieces are morticed and tenoned to help prevent racking and slip over a 1/2" stainless steel rod... the sled is held in place  on via D rings and quick draw ratchet straps...I have  alignment blocks glued onto the cross bars to serve as stops and to align the sled body on the cross pieces... the cross pieces are fisted with "monkey fists" bought at west marine to hold a small shovel and ice pick..

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1972 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:12 PM »
pics?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1973 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:27 PM »
what process you gonna use to keep sled attached to the frame?

on mine...tie down straps anchored to the eye bolts in the back of each riser

Catchin' Fish

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1974 on: Nov 16, 2020, 03:10 PM »
rgr that!

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1975 on: Jan 01, 2021, 10:38 PM »
Has anyone ever put a push bar or handle on a Smitty Sled
Thinking it may be easier to push it than pull it. Looking for photos and ideas
Info if a good idea or bad
Any input

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #1976 on: Jan 02, 2021, 02:14 AM »
Any input

pretty sure I seen a pvc one on here that had push handle.  it mite tend to nose dive in snow?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1977 on: Jan 02, 2021, 09:31 AM »
Any input
Pretty sure pushing would allow the ski's to dig deeper into the snow and slow you down. Pulling is as easy as it gets. Long rope and go.
<===Lefty===

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1978 on: Jan 02, 2021, 09:38 AM »
Any input

Both options, push and pull.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=380222.0

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1979 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:17 AM »
I think that pushing a smitty sled would be like pushing a chain, not very easy. Pulling is a lot easier.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.