Author Topic: Crappie experts  (Read 3122 times)

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Crappie experts
« on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Is there any tricks to get the larger fish to strike ?  .... I have been to a spot that is producing a lot of small fish , we do get some nice ones in the mix but average 10 dinks to 1 keeper .... I have been using a teardrop jig tipped with spikes ...
Budweiser pro staff

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Crappie experts
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Fish higher ...doesn't always work..but tends to pick up the more aggressive fish...and sometimes that's the bigger ones...also the night bite is always good for the larger ones .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:50 PM »
Bigger baits!!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:00 PM »
If they are mixed in than you are doing pretty much all you can. Which ever fish is most aggressive will strike first. You can definitely up the size of your bait but my bet is you will get the same results. Fish faster and move around the school a bit.
Just add water.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:05 PM »
try a night time bite maybe.i get smaller specks on waxies during daylight.id try the night time bite with emerald shiners.or plastics.slender spoon with a drop chain treble and a minnow head works for larger fish too.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Using your flasher look for what I call "the big boss crappies" in the school and try to tease up them out of the bunch. If you see a small mark coming I just yank it out of sight and approach the school again looking for the largest marks to make a move towards me.
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:23 PM »
I like to use lures such as Flutter Spoons, Slender Spoons, and even Beaded Russian spoons.  Using minnows will usually draw in the larger fish as well.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Good tip in general but also when your screen is cluttered with fish...taking it up and waiting a spell can be most helpful especially at night .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2018, 06:10 PM »
We use white plastics on small tungsten right angle jigs and tip the hook with a spike.  Constantly jig while raising your pole tip about 2-3 feet and then drop it back down.  Continue to do this and you will get the more aggressive fish (larger ones) to hit either while raising or at the bottom of the drop.  But white plastics work better for us then plain bait on the jig.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2018, 06:45 PM »
crappie magnets with 1/16 to 1/8 oz jig head

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Im a retired plumber, seen some crappie!
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Thanks for the ideas lots of good advice here .... I have tried this spot at night a couple times with no luck ..... Think I will try minnows next time ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Use bigger fatheads or the like. Whether jigging, dead stick, tip up or tip down. I have successfully picked the bigger fish out using larger cup bait.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:02 AM »
Use bigger fatheads or the like. Whether jigging, dead stick, tip up or tip down. I have successfully picked the bigger fish out using larger cup bait.

IO second the minnows, larger fatheads or even Hunt baits. I got my PB 17 inch crappie on a 4" Hunt bait on a tipup.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:35 AM »
I use the same method to help get the bigger ones in the school. If too many dinks on live bait. I switch to vertical jigging slab , raps,ripping raps and sebile flatt shads. In the smallest sizes they make. Make no mistake the catch rate of numbers will slow. The quality of the catch will improve though.

I use when ice and boat fishing seems to work year round.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2018, 01:06 PM »

Like these. I don't hit the lake without them.
G.E.F.M

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Lately the bigger Crappie have been very finicky. 2 Lb. Test micro ice mono line, #18 treble hook and a big crappie minnow on a tip down. Jigging seems to be only catching  the smaller ones. The bigger ones on tip downs are also higher maybe 3 ft. above the rest. You won’t really see them on the flasher until they just appear out of nowhere.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Thanks for the ideas lots of good advice here .... I have tried this spot at night a couple times with no luck ..... Think I will try minnows next time ...

Some BOW don't have a night bite ...one place I fish shuts down right after dark ...prime time is around 2 o'clock to dusk....tried several times after dark with NOOOO results...so now when I fish that BOW I pack up at dark ...I believe it is because the water is heavily stained....have you tried glow lures ...tip downs are great for locating school movement...and if you fish the baits high in the water column you can use them as decoy strategy .

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:35 PM »
This is clear water just no night action .... Have not tried the glow jigs yet ... Will try again this weekend ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:36 PM »
I use the same method to help get the bigger ones in the school. If too many dinks on live bait. I switch to vertical jigging slab , raps,ripping raps and sebile flatt shads. In the smallest sizes they make. Make no mistake the catch rate of numbers will slow. The quality of the catch will improve though.

I use when ice and boat fishing seems to work year round.

Interesting ideas here I have a perfect size jigging rapala for this ..... Do u tip the lure with a minnow head or just use a bare jig ?
Budweiser pro staff

Offline 830king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Good topic and some good ideas!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:59 PM »
I'll use #5 or even #7's jigging rapalas if they are on the bite. I have great luck unbaited with the green glow pattern fishing craps.
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Almost never tip as this brings the small ones into play again.
G.E.F.M

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2018, 04:33 PM »
This is clear water just no night action .... Have not tried the glow jigs yet ... Will try again this weekend ...

White tends to work for me and go all in with a UV light .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3Aaa-9Led-Pet-Stn-Light-Vbuv-Bd/22086108

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Interesting replies ... I never would have thought to use a lure that big for crappie .... Thanks again ...
Budweiser pro staff

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:00 PM »
whenever i'm catching small crappie after small crappie, i try a few different things to upgrade size:

1. if you've been fishing the top of the school, try fishing the bottom of the school; and vise-versa. this works when the big fish are nearby, but they're not being aggressive enough to shoulder small fish out of the way.

2. fish plastics rather than bait. a small fish is generally less interested in a soft plastic, while a large fish has likely seen a lot of bait in its lifetime, plastics allow you to present a different shape or even scent, which can turn on bigger fish.

3. fish larger lures/baits. small fish can't wrap their mouth around/are intimidated by larger baits. big fish see it as a larger meal (as long as you're fishing it in a way they like)

4. fish hard lures like jigging rapalas, slab raps, rippin raps, etc. fish these more subtly than you think. if you think you ARE fishing subtly, i guarantee you're not fishing subtly enough. almost all of my success with hard lures has come from being very very careful with any movement i make, and paying close attention to how the fish react.

5. change color to something harder to see. small fish are always attracted to bright, flashy stuff that's easy to see. big fish will pay closer attention and hunt down stuff the small fish don't notice, rather than trying to fight a dozen fish half their size vying for a tiny scrap of food. so, if you're fishing a silver spoon on a bright day, and only catching dinks, switch to a gold spoon, or a copper spoon, and see what happens. sometimes that's all it takes.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2018, 12:41 PM »
I was in a similar situation yesterday dink fish after dink fish. Sometimes you just need to move to find a school of bigger fish, upsizing only mean lookers no biters at all. I mean if you want sit there all day and watch small fish come look but not hit, go for it. If not move and try and locate bigger fish.

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 24, 2018, 03:16 AM »
I have got into some crazy schools of crappie this winter and while the jig catches the numbers, I have caught the biggest ones on #3 Rippin Raps and VMC Tingler Spoons.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Tye,
It looks like #3 only comes in the Ultra Light Rippin Rap.  Was that what you had?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.