Author Topic: Floating ice jacket preferences  (Read 3213 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Floating ice jacket preferences
« on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Hey guys and gals. I currently own striker ice bibs that are the guardians. They are great, but now I want to buy a floating jacket too. I was thinking striker as well, but after looking online I can find cheap brands. Is there much difference between striker, frabill, or clam jackets, or others? And what preference do you have/like the most? I know it's Chevy, ford, Dodge debate, but I just want to see what people think about different jackets.

If anyone has a floating jacket in large I would be interested.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Floating ice jacket preferences
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Would never have anything but striker, that’s my opinion, hardwater super warm , windproof, waterproof, and so many pockets, u will loose things !!!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:47 AM »
I own the Striker hardwater bibs and jacket and absolutely love them.
Just add water.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:49 AM »
x2

Offline Ole Sam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:53 AM »
X3
But I will say that the jacket quality is not as rugged as the bibs.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:57 AM »
X3
.      The quality in mine is the same, there a problem with yours? Same material, except the knees of the bibs

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Striker Ice ....Clam....Frabill... .1,2,3
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:08 AM »
X3
X4, love my Hardwater set.  No difference between my jacket and bibs in terms of quality.  Does get hot when walking a mile or two, but I just open the leg zippers to blow off heat.  It's nice having the extra warmth when I'm sitting for a while.  I normally fish in a shanty, so I take the coat off and hang it.

I wear my Striker gear for fall/spring soft water walleye fishing too.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Why cheap out?

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Mustang...if your shopping price, probably not the way to go...if your shopping safety in case you ever pop thru the ice...worth every penny...worn by many who work in fields dealing with public safety, water rescue and conservation officers.
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline Squidy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:25 AM »
X4, love my Hardwater set.  No difference between my jacket and bibs in terms of quality. 

X5

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Jacket is the same quality as bibs for me. The only thing is, I ONLY where my jacket about 10% of the time. Its so warm that I only wear it in brutally cold conditions. The rest of the time a pair of thermals, Under Armour sweat shirt and just the bibs covering the chest.
Just add water.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Mustang...if your shopping price, probably not the way to go...if your shopping safety in case you ever pop thru the ice...worth every penny...worn by many who work in fields dealing with public safety, water rescue and conservation officers.

X2

Offline PatrickN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2018, 04:49 PM »
My Striker Predator coat and bibs have been worth every penny! Cannot say enough good about them.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Looks like striker is the way to go. I guess I will go with striker.

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Consider a Predator jacket to go with the Hardwater bibs before you make the move.
I am not saying it is the way to go for you, just look at the option.   

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:46 PM »
X4, love my Hardwater set.  No difference between my jacket and bibs in terms of quality. 

X5

X6. Love my Striker suit. Plan on a Predator suit for warmer weather next year.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I went with the Striker Ice Lake Effect Heat Sink Bibs when they were on sale 2 years ago at Overtons.  They are the sister to the Hardwater (snaps instead of magnets I'm told).  I really like them and they are very very warm.  Striker has them on sale right now.

Both are $157 a piece right now (but limited sizes)..
https://www.strikerstore.com/Heat-Sink-Ice-Bibs-p/210350.htm
https://www.strikerstore.com/Heat-Sink-Jacket-p/110300.htm

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:03 PM »
MT_mulies,

Out here you know how cold it can get like its been for the last few weeks. Plus the wind even if in the single digits. Striker Ice Climate is warmer and the layers in the coat work well for me. I have the Climate bibs and coat. If the temps come up mid day I can go without the jacket or use just the liner. On those early morning trips before day light I don't put the jacket on until getting set up. If fishing through to the after dark I am usually the warmest of the group. I'm talking sitting in your living room type of comfort. Best investment I made so far for ice gear. Highly recommend the climate.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:20 PM »
X8. 2nd year on my striker hard water ice jacket and bibs. But kind of depends on where you live, what kind of cold temps you have? They are warm.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:51 PM »
I am very happy with my Striker Ice Climate jacket and bibs. Very warm, I have not had to use the liners for the bibs yet.

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:18 PM »
I am very happy with my Striker Ice Climate jacket and bibs. Very warm, I have not had to use the liners for the bibs yet.

X2. Also haven't had the liner in the bibs even on below zero days.  I wear UA 4.0 baselayers and a lot of time am too warm in the shack.  I wear the jacket's outer shell or the liner, usually not together.  The liner I wear all year round!

Offline wisconsinmark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:57 PM »
My son and I both invested In Striker Ice Bibs and Jackets. We both have Predator Bibs. I have a Predator Jacket and he has the Lake Effect Jacket. We've gone through two seasons so far. These things are rugged, waterproof and warm. Not sure about other brands, but love Striker Ice.

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2018, 01:38 AM »
Can't say enough about my striker ice climate bibs and jacket set up, just love em! Very nice for the more brutal temps we had late December well into January here in Northeast oneida  county wi. this year! I don't use a shanty (can't sit still, I'm a hole hopper) so they are a must! :thumbsup:

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Started out with Arctic Armour....OK, but not breathable enough...always sweat and condensation in jacket (which leads to cold).  Light weight and did a pretty good job....I'd give them a 7 out of 10 (maybe 7.5).  Went with the Striker Lake Effect suit that I saw on ridiculous sale during a Black Friday from gander and will NEVER get anything but Striker again.  As soon as you hold them in your hands you immediately feel quality.  Actually too warm, but breathable.  Less layering underneath.  If you sit out of shanty and start to feel any cold, thats about the only time you'll need the jacket.  Pockets, come on, the one guy was right...I spent 2 hours looking for my cell phone I swore I had lost because it was in one of the secret pockets....buddy called and I felt it vibrating.  Go Striker and be done with it. 
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I am totally satisfied with my Striker Ice Predator jacket (and bibs)!  They work well for snowmobiling on the frozen lakes, too.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Wow, almost unanimous for Stryker.  I did see an ad from Frabill that touted their jacket as the only one USCG approved as a Personal Flotation Device. I’m looking for a warm coat that I can wear while cold-weather boat fishing and double as an approved PFD. Do any other brands fit that bill?  Thanks.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Wow, almost unanimous for Stryker.  I did see an ad from Frabill that touted their jacket as the only one USCG approved as a Personal Flotation Device. I’m looking for a warm coat that I can wear while cold-weather boat fishing and double as an approved PFD. Do any other brands fit that bill?  Thanks.
.      If the frabill is that good , go for it !  The floatation is to buy you time to get out, now if u are still in the water after 5 minutes u are done for anyways. Will the striker suits float you, yes, are they coast guard approved , no ! The results speak for theirselves, by vast majority striker , everyone can’t be wrong !! What ever works for you, if in a boat u prolly already have life preservers in there.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2018, 03:14 PM »
I guess the only fair comparison of the two would be in-the-water-testing. I’m not volunteering, though!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2018, 04:03 PM »
My buddy did try his striker suit in summer , dock a foot off the water, had bibs and coat on and walked off dock, and didn’t even get hair wet. He said only way to get head wet was dive in !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.