Author Topic: perch in spring  (Read 3798 times)

Offline bassman86

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any day is a good day for fishing!
perch in spring
« on: Apr 03, 2003, 12:41 PM »
Does anyone know how to go about finding good size yellow perch in the spring? and if so what do I use to catch them with? thanx :)

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:perch in spring
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2003, 08:20 AM »
this reply is a little late for spring but it should work in summer also.perch like to be at or near the bottom. use nite crawlers or small crappie minnows with a slip bobber. when they bite wait till they take the bobber under completley before you set the hook.I have my best luck on perch by  underwater springs. the temperature differance appeals to them. ask the locals about their locations and i believe you will start catching perch.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline bassman86

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any day is a good day for fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2003, 03:50 PM »
thanx i have had good luck so far this year, the biggest was 13" long. :)

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2003, 08:01 AM »
was out on Lake Michigan sunday and caught 5 perch  thats the bag limit on the big pond here in wisconsin. biggest one was 15 inches.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2003, 07:03 AM »
Well here on SImcoe THe perch run just after Ice is out like Littereally if ya can throw a line into the water and still almost hit the edges of ice then that is when they are spawning. Usually we use lil minnows or tube jigs with the smallest bobber u can get. Myself i flyfish for them using a float line and a yellow mini tube jig or a green with silverflec mini tube jig. I strip the line after the tub falls maybe 1-4 feet from the surfaceonce i feel it i Set that hook. And same with bobber if you use that technique set it as soon as u seen any signs of a strike they are quick to spit if ya dont. As far as summer months i use a mini strike king spinner in dense cover they seem to like hitting those bad boys this way. Good luck
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline cnyiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2004, 08:10 AM »
In late Feb or Mar, or if ice hangs until Apr, the perch are moving toward spawning structure. I've had my best luck by moving into the nearest area of weeds off of the deeper areas I caught them in mid winter. The weeds are usually 12 ft or less. I guess they can be caught over woody structure in lakes that have it. Perch dont make nests, they string their egg directly on weeds and dead wood, or whatever they can.
As the weather warms and the ice is beginning to rot, this is my technique, right up until the ice is unsafe.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2004, 03:21 PM »
I find them really hard to find a big one come summer months unless i really hunt for them and then they are in dense cover but they fight like a son of a gun then. I don't ever eat them though in the summer..proabaly becasue i don't catch near the quanity or quailty as i do in the winter and spring and fall for that matter. Fall perch are justy as abundant as spring if ya know where to locate them. Good luck and tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: perch in spring
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:41 PM »
Once you do find'em and you catch a few here's how to stay on top of'em. After catching a few take one and leave the hook in and drop it back down. once it's back down cut the line and tie on a balloon or put a big bobber at the end after cutting it. follow the ballon or bobber around all day and i'll bet you get your limit. ;D When all is said and done bring the helper perch back up and set it free and don't forget to say thanks. utes

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: perch in spring
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2004, 04:59 PM »
Ya Nice to think it would act the same but not that i say it WONT im just saying would be Hard for me to act the Same with a hook hanging out my mouth all day...But worth a shot if it works....Other thing is Depeending on the length of line it might be caught up or you might also make it vulnerable to pike since it can't really get to its max depth becasue of it's new found leash so to speak...But hey if it works worth a shot. Iv'e found that in the spring easy for me to find perch anyhow just harder for me to catch the jumbo's. Tight lines and keep the idea's coming!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.