Author Topic: SINCE THERE IS NO ICE - READ THIS - H.B. 5876  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Bluebucket

• IceShanty Rookie
SINCE THERE IS NO ICE - READ THIS - H.B. 5876
« on: Jan 22, 2017, 05:22 PM »
House Bill 5876 has been introduced which will ban the sale AND USE of ALL fishing tackle which contains lead in Connecticut.  This bill was introduced to save our loons?  The bill has been forwarded to the Joint Committee on Environment.  I urge you to contact members of the Committee (Connecticut General Assembly - Committee on Environment), and voice your opposition to this bill.

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SINCE THERE IS NO ICE - READ THIS - H.B. 5876
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Yes that is insanity-I'm not throwing out the majority of my jigs+ spinnerbaits over this: besides-EVERY BAIT I buy- Hardbaits, plastics, terminal tackle-All contains a lead warning on the package- soo- they would essentially ban the majority of fishing tackle techinically- I mean c'mon-are they gonna' test crankbaits for lead content?-Shows you how disconnected these politicians are- should be working WITH sportsmen to protect our aquatic resources.

Offline Groversaurus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:39 PM »
I can't find any info on this bill on the state websites.
Do you have any links or more info?
Thanks

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I could somewhat understand banning the sale of lead. NY has been doing that for years. You can't buy lead sinkers or lures but if you have them you can still use them. It's a good way to start weening off of it without having to buy all new stuff. Banning it all together is just silly
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Bluebucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Try this link
https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&which_year=2017&bill_num=5876

or go to Connect General Assembly and enter 5876 under bills

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:05 PM »
As a fisherman I am ashamed of our General Assembly. They have an opportunity to show the world that Connecticut is a leader in protecting the environment. Take this opportunity and do things no one else has tried. Why stop at lead? Ban soft plastics and the use of fishing rods made if synthetic materials. Mandate that all reels be manufactured of metal and use vegetable based biodegradable lube. How about implementing a timeline to phase out mono, braid and synthetic fishing line and replace with a biodegradable plant derived catgut. If these people really cared they would ban the use of any petroleum powered engines on fishing vessels. Mandate that bait can only be sold in biodegradable containers. Make rules that bait has to be used within 36 hours of purchase and any remaining have to be destroyed and documented. And there is far too many hooks that resist rust. Ban those too!
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2017, 04:14 AM »
The state of ct. has never been sportsmen friendly,and continues to head in the wrong direction. the people making our laws do not have a clue

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:35 AM »
Unpopular laws go unfollowed in this state. Let's not forget how many people did not register their firearms.  Including a fair number of law enforcement.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:44 AM »
Wait, you hae to register firearms???  ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:26 AM »
Wait, you hae to register firearms???  ;)

Sold all mine the day before the new laws took place.... ;D

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:31 AM »
I kept mine. Have no problems with registration. Keeps the riff raff separated from the responsible gun owners. As for hard water, definitely a bummer this year. got out those few good weeks and then came back from an everglades trip this week and found a mess. guess we could have our meet and greet with a party line of boats! lol

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:54 AM »
We have had the lead law here in Ma. and I asked several times on the website and the officers said that they have no way of telling lead from other type of jigs.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Only so called assault weopons

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:45 PM »
These fine folks are your friend.
http://ctsportsmen.com/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:55 PM »
You make some valid points. Having said this I don't get your comment the "bait has to be used in 36 hours or destroyed and documented ."
Why would that be necessary? So bait that a guy buys @ 4pm on a Friday would have to be used by 4 am on Sunday.
In other words unless you're night fishing you can't use the bait after that Saturday!  ::)

He's was being very sarcastic in his post.  Basically saying that this is the start of things to come and suggested some of the things he thought the state could think of.  I have no problem going lead free for nature's sake.  The problem is this is just a small spoonful of a much different agenda.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:32 PM »
I only use tungsten but just because I prefer it for production. I bought tungsten beads and use them on some of my tip-ups and they are awesome.
I would miss the split shots but I rarely use the hundreds of old jigs in boxes made with leads guess you could call it a jewelry collection now. With all the plastics out now its been a huge deal in the jig game and got used to holding a bait receipt from fishing NY.....its 2017 and thats the direction all states will be headed and I don't have a problem with it. (don't get rid off all my saltwater lead though).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.