Author Topic: The last hoorah... Maybe  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
The last hoorah... Maybe
« on: Mar 10, 2013, 04:39 PM »
me and the old man finally made it up to our lake house in Richmond NH. he was a little skeptical about there being ice with this weather. everywhere we drilled was 12-15" of good ice. stupid me forgot the power head for my nils so i had to do them all by hand. got on the ice around 930. fishing was pretty good untill about 1230 and had another little rush at 130 or so. met a guy who caught 2 8-10" perch. you cant ask for a better day to fish. 45 degrees and 15" of ice. and we caught fish. let the pictures commence.

First fish of the day was my dads. 18" bass.

he caught another but then it was my turn. 16". interesting spot pattern

but most importantly i had the big fish of the day. not by much but 18 1/4". we guessed about 4.5lbs. i forgot i had my scale

heres the ice

not sure if we are going back next weekend or not but if we dont it was sure a great last trip.
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The last hoorah... Maybe
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2013, 06:23 PM »
nice to go fishing with your father  good memerios
what is and what should never be

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2013, 08:39 PM »
The ice looks the same here in ct and we have just as much 12-17in left in nw ct on some lakes a good 2 weeks left for me to ice fish in ct and 3-4 weeks left in upstate ny where there is 30+in on some lakes right now
Go big or go home

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2013, 08:51 PM »
20 inches on Schroon Lake, NY  today, but the slush is building, edges starting to show through...Tight lines and be safe guys..Barebow

Offline shotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Those are some nice looking bass it must of been a sweet day, I am heading up to laconia next sunday or monday to fish for a few days hopefully there will still be some safe ice left up on the winni's.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2013, 07:25 AM »
Yeah. It was a great day. 8 fish. 7 were between 15" and 18". One 12"

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Good for you spending quality time with your dad. Good fishing :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
MA

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Heading up for one last time tomorrow. Hopefully land some more 4 or 5 lbers

-Ryan-

Offline shotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Hey is Richmond anywhere near Laconia as I am heading to Laconia sunday for my last hardwater trip of the year? I will be fishing monday thru wednsday and possibly thursday and friday if I get snowed in, I hear there is still 12 plus inches of ice up that way and it is going to stay cold through next week and the fishing has been great.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Its probably another hour north. But as long as elevations are high and its been cold you should be fine. There was 12-15 last weekend. I'm expecting about 8-10. Ill post my findings. But fishing was great.

-Ryan-

Offline shotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Hey have a good trip and good luck! I will hopefully be able post some pic's if I catch anything which I probably should be able to as the fishing reports have been excellent lately for all species.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2013, 06:20 PM »
well. walked out to the same spot. a little slower today. but still standing on 11" of ice. 8 of it is black. caught one bass 18.5" a couple 15s and a few 13's. my dad landed a nice 11" perch at about 10:30. i landed a really fat 20" pickeral right at the end of the day. kept the 18.5" and a 15.5" for dinner. it was good on the grill. didnt take any pictures this time until we got home.

and about that perch. i only mentioned the time because of how completely blown away by the strength of the fish at this pond. they are fighters for sure. landed him and thre him on the ice. when we started packing up at like 230 we put snow in a bucket, then the fish, and then more snow. when we got home i went to take the perch out and he kicked. i thought it was just a dead reaction thing but he kept kicking and trying to breath. i figured i had to clean the fish off anyway so i threw them in the rain water on top of the pool. sure enough after a push or 2 he was staying upright. and then he swam away

he swam around for a while and stayed upright so i asked my neighbor and threw him in his fish pond. after 5 hours on ice the fish was still alive. his eyes were clear and he seemed healthy. as much as i dont like killing fish for no reason i'm almost positive its going to live

all in all it was a good day. maybe get out in 2 weeks still if it stays cold enough

-Ryan-

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2013, 06:21 PM »
the lake was making ice all day too. so thats good news. only ice fisherman can appreciate that sound

-Ryan-

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2013, 06:57 PM »
There's no way any lake in the northeast is making any ice just becouse it's making noise don't mean it's making ice it makes that noise when the sun hits it this time of year and it expands and it makes noise when it gets cold when it contracts but lakes don't make ice after feb no matter how cold it is
Go big or go home

Offline shotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Nice!!! Looks like you had a great day and I'm glad to hear that the ice is still plenty safe as I am heading up that way tomorrow am.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Well it was 33 and cloudy so i doubt it was "shrinking" with the amount of noise it was making

-Ryan-

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2013, 09:40 PM »
Its not based on a date for formation of ice but the noise is from a fluctuation in temp above/below ice with a couple other factors i wont bore you with. Good job getting on fish , glad you and dad are still punching holes.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:29 AM »
You know how it is on this forum Ravo... some people know everything about ice fishing, and apparently ice formation. They know everything except how to write a coherent sentence!
Talk to you all next season.  Time to get ready for saltwater for me. Thanks to many people on this site for pointers and ice reports.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2013, 10:18 AM »
Nice report man.  Just want to let you know that I was on 15" of ice 25 minutes north of colebrook so ravo if your itching for a extended season I'll let you know where you and your dad can go!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Alright. Sounds good man! I keep trying to start getting ready for open water but I just keep hitting ice. Lol.

-Ryan-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.