Author Topic: auger size?  (Read 817 times)

Offline big game hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!!!
auger size?
« on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:53 PM »
i am planning on purchasing a new hand auger a six inch or four inch and would like to know which brand and size is better. it is mainly for our jigging holes for perch, bass, sunfish, and whatever i may come across.

thanks
Lets Go Fishing

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: auger size?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I have a 4" Lazer for jigging, it cuts great (fast and easy) but can be a bit undersized. Every fish in the 4" hole wraps around the transducer and the hole can slush back in pretty fast.
The guys I fish with have a 6" Nils and it works great.
This won't help your decision much, but the guys w/ the 6" tend to drill search holes with my 4" , then pop a few 6" in the "hot" area to fish outt of.

I will be buying a 6" Nils and having a cordless drill conversion adapter made for next season. This will be for the quick trips and early ice, still like the power auger for ice over 5" thick.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:49 PM »
Smaller is faster but bigger is better. A big bass, pike, walleye, or trout won't fit through a 4" hole and the memory of landing a trophy fish is better than a "one that got away" story.

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:02 AM »
I have a 5" Laser that works great, easy to drill and fast

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish, therefore I'm broke...and hungry!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:05 AM »
Smaller is faster but bigger is better. A big bass, pike, walleye, or trout won't fit through a 4" hole and the memory of landing a trophy fish is better than a "one that got away" story.

Yep!  Go big or go home!  I'm a 10" Eskimo guy myself!  Of course different targeted species plays a huge role in my decision!

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Jor jigging, a 6" is the way to go... Any smaller and you may be sorry one day  ;)  I had a crappie this morning that almost wouldn't come out o a 6" hole. Momentary heart attack but I managed to drag him through.  :o

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:50 PM »
As far as a brand goes, I have a 8' nils that is much easier to use than the 6 inch strikemaster I used to have.   
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline big game hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:28 PM »
thanks for the info i am thinking on getting a nils 6 incher... thanks for the help
Lets Go Fishing

Offline 1fishon1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:31 PM »
I like my finbore 6''.  So far its outlasted my buddys nils which he had to buy a new head for and now it hasnt ever cut the same.
[img]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetemp/language/www/US/CT/Newington.gif" alt="Click for Newington, Connecticut Forecast" border="0" height

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.