Author Topic: crystal lake  (Read 1593 times)

Offline pocoloco

• IceShanty Rookie
crystal lake
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Crystal Lake,when was the last time they stocked it? Pretty pathetic fishing there ,this year!

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: crystal lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:29 PM »
i fished it this fall after they stocked got trout every time but in the slot must have caught 40 there. and a few weeks back caught 2 salmon 1 was 10 pounds. til this year i always said the same thing, just put in the time and you will find them.

Offline pocoloco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:44 PM »
i fished it this fall after they stocked got trout every time but in the slot must have caught 40 there. and a few weeks back caught 2 salmon 1 was 10 pounds. til this year i always said the same thing, just put in the time and you will find them.

Been fishing this place before you had hair on your smeckle bud. Bull #$%.

Offline rocklobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Chill Poco.  I think you been out in the cold to long.  If you aren't catching fish there maybe try a different tactic??? Try shallow water if you have been deep... fish on bottom if you have been fishing the upper water column. Maybe smaller bait or try jigging in a cove ;).  The fish are in there you just have'nt found them yet. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching.  I will pm you when I see the big whole in the ice by the boat launch (were they stock).  Then you can go clean them up.
here pikey pikey...BIG DEAD BAIT...

Offline pocoloco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Chill Poco.  I think you been out in the cold to long.  If you aren't catching fish there maybe try a different tactic??? Try shallow water if you have been deep... fish on bottom if you have been fishing the upper water column. Maybe smaller bait or try jigging in a cove ;).  The fish are in there you just have'nt found them yet. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching.  I will pm you when I see the big whole in the ice by the boat launch (were they stock).  Then you can go clean them up.

Who you think you are, Roland Martin?I don't think I've ever seen you on the sportsmans channal!!

Offline rocklobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Whoa bud.  Just trying to help out someone new to the site catch some fish.  That is what Shanty is all about. Welcome by the way.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:29 AM »
wow, that place seems to bring out the best and the worst in people. been there at least 50 times over the years and have had some great days and many not so great days. it is loaded with quality fish. it has also been dead to me this year. the place gets a ton of pressure year round. theres also a ton of forage available.
so the big browns and there are a lot of them, dont have to be that aggressive. i've had my best luck jigging. time and patience are needed  on that lake. not to mention a little help from the fishing gods.

wt

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AH-SUNSET -to fish or not to fish what a stupid ?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:36 AM »
wow , no other response needed

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:33 PM »
now i feel i have to hit crystal in the am. anybody going to be out there

Offline rocklobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:31 PM »
I'll see ya out there. Need to redemm myself after last Sundays skunking out there ;D.   

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:03 PM »
I feel your pain

Offline EL CAPITAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:07 AM »
ill be there too  :tipup:
Live free or die
Trump 2020

Offline tommyb89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I was out yesterday (friday) and caught a nice salmon.. 28" 9lbs.. i live 5min away from the lake and i figured i'd give it a try for salmon it was my first through the ice. I got one two years ago in open water.. I was still setting up when i caught it at like 730 am.. I set up 3 tipups and setting up the 4th when i looked behind me and number 2 was up went over to it and the reel was screaming.  So i set the hook and i pulled the shiner and the hook right out.. reset it and set up the 4th and 5th tip up and while i was setting up the 6th looked back and number2 was up again.. went back and reel was screaming again and this time i got him.. he made like three 15 foot runs and then i got him up and out of the hole.. nice fish good color and his tail fin was all screwed up thats why he didn't fight that good..  Gut hooked him so i kept it.. got like 3.5 pounds of fillets off him or actually her it had like half a pound of eggs which i saved for steelhead alley..  Might be going to Mount Tom pond any reports on that?

The pics are big.. so i didn't put them on the page.. here are the links :tipup:

http://www.jandlenterprise.com/images/P1070895.JPG

http://www.jandlenterprise.com/images/P1070896.JPG

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Tommyb, I spent the late morning to sunset at Mt. Tom.  I watched people come and go throughout the day, I did not see any action.  I never even got a flag, but had a stocked brown trout on my last tip up as I was picking up for the day (flag did not trip).  Looks like Crystal Lake is being much more productive.  I'm hearing rumors about salmon being caught at Mt. Tom, but after two weekends have not seen anything to verify.

Congrats on your on your 9 pounder, sounds nice! :tipup:

Just looked at the pictures...very nice, congrats!

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Yeah those tails always are worn, it's from keeping them in the cement tanks at the hatchery. Last year I iced 13 and only one of them had a nice tail...unfortunately it was the smallest one. But they still fight like crazy.  ;) :tipup: :tipup:
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline tommyb89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Tommyb, I spent the late morning to sunset at Mt. Tom.  I watched people come and go throughout the day, I did not see any action.  I never even got a flag, but had a stocked brown trout on my last tip up as I was picking up for the day (flag did not trip).  Looks like Crystal Lake is being much more productive.  I'm hearing rumors about salmon being caught at Mt. Tom, but after two weekends have not seen anything to verify.

Ya I've heard its a #%&@ Hole.. Next time you go out set a few traps with the shiner a foot below the ice.. Thats the sure way to get a salmon.. I might be headed up there on monday to try it out.. How much ice? like 10" to 12"? Any springs i have to worry about?

Offline Bill S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:15 AM »
I have my best luck moving around and jiggin at crystal. My buddies got a few nice salmon this year, and we lost one that had to go close to if not 40"  Snapped 12 lb flouro after a looooonnnnnnnnng fight. 
Fish on...... Just practicing!

Offline EL CAPITAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:10 AM »
nice fish tommyb!!!!
Live free or die
Trump 2020

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:34 AM »
bill s if that is you from W.L. its jason s, we need to get out let me know what you are doin this weekend

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.