Author Topic: JIggin--- Lures?  (Read 791 times)

Offline EL CAPITAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
JIggin--- Lures?
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I was fartin around jiggin the other day while i had tips out,   I ended up hookin on to a 24+ inch salmon    i had a sh+++ty rig with no drag  and 4 lb test  of course i got i to hole and it broke off before i could grab it.... :%$#!:

My question is what do u find works good for jiggin lures  I had this teardrop chartreuse thing tiped with a shiner tail. It worked pissa, but is now gone. I bought a shad rap and some buckshot northland shiner thing that rattles like the head half of the shiner I think i  :icefish:will try adding another shiner tail.

Any thoughts on what good or doesit really matter?? right place at right time:-)

:icefish:
Live free or die
Trump 2020

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: JIggin--- Lures?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Elcaptinmas,

I tried Northlands fish fry jigs for the first time yesterday and was pretty impressed.  Tiped with mousies for perch they worked really well, the are a horizontal glow jig.  One side is the glow and the other is a holographic of a small fish, killer eyes.  The things I really likes about them are the weight and how easily they hooked fish, not many misses. 

Also been experimenting with tungstun jigs that I found at cabelas, I cant remember the brand but they were small but worked really well jigging 50' plus.  Tungstun gets down there quick!

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:59 PM »
I use kodiaks pretty much all the time. and lindy rattlers.

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:00 PM »
I suppose the jig that you select depends on what your seeking and the depth you are fishing.  Personally, I fish with panfish jigs, 'teardrop',  'mouse', 'ant', and 'banana', whatever up to 10 feet in depth.  Tipped with a moussee they are all effective for perch, blue gill and even crappie.  When the opportunity present itself, I have also hooked up bass, trout, and pickerel on the same jigs.  When I am in over 10-12 feet of water my go to jig is the standard Swedish Pimple.  I've recently started using Lindy Rattlers, but I cannot say if they are any more effective then another jig.  I have found that I dislike using jigs with multiply hooks due to hooking up on weeds and other debris and frequent lost of such jigs without increasing my catch.

Offline dtsoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:24 PM »
I guess a lot depends on which fish you are targeting. For bluegills and perch I like a small teardrop or ant. My favorite teardrop is the Fiska Wolfram tungsten jig, I got mine on-line at a site called yourbobbersdown last year. They are heavy for their size and come in a variety of colors.  Forage minnow also makes a quality line of jigs, bit if I could only use one jig for the rest of my ice-fishing life, it would be the Rapala, hands down. I've had good success even without mousies or spikes added to the treble hook. They are effective on everything from 'gills to 'eyes and trout and come in a variety of sizes and colors. Tight lines. 

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Lindy Darters, Rattli'n Flyers and Frostees have been my top producers so far this season...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.