New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Caroga Lake Tourney!!  (Read 12046 times)

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Caroga Lake Tourney!!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:24 PM »
Hey Jason-
   I am seeing a lot about West Caroga & splake on this site. Any news on what is happening in East Caroga? What are they catching?  Where? With what? I'm new to this & don't want anybody's honey holes, just need some direction to get started. Any advice for East would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks a lot!

Also, just now saw the post about rubber worms in the splake...any splake in East? Any idea as to what kind of rubber worms they are bitting on? Thanks a LOT!

Offline Katfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2008, 02:35 PM »
How many people do you expect?

Offline jayjefer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I just have 3 questions:  Where is the clubouse?
                                  Can we sign up there the day of the tournament?
                                  If so,  what time can we sign up?

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:49 PM »
check page 1, all the info should be in the first post.  good luck :tipup:
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:12 PM »
hey carogakid if you are doing the measuring this year im not joining. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:34 PM »
How many people do you expect?
We have about 30 people pre registered so far.....Hopefully more will come...Over the past years there has been anywheres from 50 people to 250 people entered..

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Also, just now saw the post about rubber worms in the splake...any splake in East? Any idea as to what kind of rubber worms they are bitting on? Thanks a LOT!
Not really too many splake in east they tend to stay to the deeper water in west Caroga... There's been a few pickerel and some smaller perch caught in east this year, nothing really spectacular.. :-\ I don't think anybody uses rubber worms for splake.. Although I have caught them with Rubber grubs and Cigarette butts in there belly's...I would stick with shiners for the splake, But then again Rubber worms might be the new hot lure for splake... :whistle:

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:50 PM »
hey carogakid if you are doing the measuring this year im not joining. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Good, we'll sign you up and you can help with the measuring this year!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Hey carogakid after that mess you made in the bar ill do what ever you say :woot: :woot: :woot: hey this smiley looks like stevie O ;D

Offline frozetoes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2008, 05:47 AM »
Where is a good place to park when fishing the east side?

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2008, 06:30 AM »
Where is a good place to park when fishing the east side?
You should be able to park down on the avenues off of 29a and go out of the association beach. PM me if you need directions.

Robb :tipup:

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:06 AM »
I used to work summers SCUBA diving for the state on the weed harvester in the Caroga lakes.  I can tell you that if it is splake your after West is your lake although I have seen them in East, they are few and far between as they do tend to favor the deeper waters of West.  If it is a shmorgesboard of species your after East has just about everthing I dove for 4 summers up there and have seen everything from Pickerel, both large and small mouth bass, crappie, perch, and walleye(some big ones) to schools of fingerling rainbows and browns.

Good Luck

Thanks a loT!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:07 AM »
Not really too many splake in east they tend to stay to the deeper water in west Caroga... There's been a few pickerel and some smaller perch caught in east this year, nothing really spectacular.. :-\ I don't think anybody uses rubber worms for splake.. Although I have caught them with Rubber grubs and Cigarette butts in there belly's...I would stick with shiners for the splake, But then again Rubber worms might be the new hot lure for splake... :whistle:

Thanks a lot!

Offline 10inches of ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:21 PM »
about 10 of us are coming up saturday, can't wait. is there any chance that this will be cancelled with all this warm weather?     also, how big were the winning fish the last couple of years?

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:09 PM »
about 10 of us are coming up saturday, can't wait. is there any chance that this will be cancelled with all this warm weather?     also, how big were the winning fish the last couple of years?
I was out today we had 9 inches of ice on west caroga.. 4inches of hard black Ice, 5 inches of soft white Ice.. I'm pretty sure the tourney will be on.. The temps are supposed to drop up here wensday night through sat, So we should be in good shape.. In the past years the average winners usally range from: Pickerel 21-24inches
                                                                          Trout   14-19
                                                                          Perch   9-13
                                                                          Crappie  9" and Up
I did see a 9 inch splake win the trout category one year.. :o

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:13 PM »
II did see a 9 inch splake win the trout category one year.. :o

Well Mr.Caroga Kid,  if you do half as good in the tourney as you did deer hunting this year you'll win every category by 9am and Robb won't catch a damn thing ;D 

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Well Mr.Caroga Kid,  if you do half as good in the tourney as you did deer hunting this year you'll win every category by 9am and Robb won't catch a d**n thing ;D 
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:04 AM »
i think when they release the trout they that them out in the millte of the lake and release them to get a better  popalasion of fish

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2008, 01:45 PM »
was wondering the ice conditions on east? can you access the lake from the campground? thanks in advance.

steve

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2008, 01:55 PM »
was wondering the ice conditions on east? can you access the lake from the campground? thanks in advance.

steve
9-10 inches on East, 4inches of black ice, 5-6 of white Ice.. You can access through the state Campground..It's just a long Walk down..

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2008, 02:07 PM »
would it still be possible to use a wheeler sat.? can you use them in the campground? thanks in advance

steve

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2008, 02:33 PM »
would it still be possible to use a wheeler sat.? can you use them in the campground? thanks in advance

steve
As long as the weather stays cold, I don't see why you couldn't use a wheeler sat.. I don't think you'll get a wheeler through the State Campgrounds.. If you turn down the roads Just past the State Campgrounds it will funnel to an Association Beach, It's Closed to the Public, but I have permission for Contestants to enter through there ( Sat only) I think it will be easier for you to Access through this spot instead....

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2008, 02:47 PM »
thanks again. i have a relative that has a camp down dwyer lane (i think) that i might be able to go out from. thanks again

steve

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #53 on: Jan 09, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Well Mr.Caroga Kid,  if you do half as good in the tourney as you did deer hunting this year you'll win every category by 9am and Robb won't catch a d**n thing ;D 

Come on, I got some old rusty lures that will catch about anything ;).

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:16 PM »

hey are you calling my muzzeloader old and rusty??  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:21 PM »

Well at least you finally broke down and put a new hook on that thing :o  What was that big walleye thinking when she bit that old black and silver rusty one hook Rapala  ;D  I told you those don't work ::)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:22 PM »
hey are you calling my muzzeloader old and rusty??  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Remember, SHOOT ON THREE ;D  Not two :P

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Remember, SHOOT ON THREE ;D  Not two :P
I was elbowed on 2.... :D

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:27 PM »
I was elbowed on 2.... :D

That story is a classic ;D 

Offline ominousone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:42 PM »
A map of access points would be great...

A quick question... do you know if the guy who lets people launch on east for a small fee (I think it's almost 10 bucks now) will allow parking there?  It's a huge lot, on the channel, and it'd be a nice starting spot for those trying on east.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.