New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: minnow alert even now  (Read 11460 times)

bigdave1018

minnow alert even now
« on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:28 PM »
 i stopped at bay bridge bait shop for minnows and they told me that they were almost out of minnows and had no idea when their next load was coming in. you might want to call your shop just to see if this minnow ban has affected them or not. i see higher prices for live bait minnow in the near future  >:(.

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: minnow alert even now
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:58 PM »
I went to Mitchell's Sunday morning and was told I was buying the last Niagara's. He said he was almosr out and when they were gone that was it.......

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:11 AM »
does this ban effect all baitfish and all of new york?!?!?!?!?! ???

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

pinche

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:24 AM »
Guys are you sure its not just because of the season right now? its kinda tweener time.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:37 AM »
Guys are you sure its not just because of the season right now? its kinda tweener time.
there is a ban on minnows due to the vhs virus going around and minnows are effected by it and they do not want it to spread to other lakes

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:20 AM »
there is a ban on minnows due to the vhs virus going around and minnows are effected by it and they do not want it to spread to other lakes

I think it is too late. It is like the zebra mussel, it'll be in most waters in NY with in 2 years. :'( :'(
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2006, 11:28 AM »
does this ban effect all baitfish and all of new york?!?!?!?!?! ???

Not sure about all bait fish or not, heard they were talking baout banning al baitfish. As for new york state, nothing to do with them....it's a federal ban!

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2006, 11:42 AM »

Not sure about all bait fish or not, heard they were talking baout banning al baitfish. As for new york state, nothing to do with them....it's a federal ban!

Here you go :

For Release: IMMEDIATE                                                 Contact: Maureen Wren
Tuesday, November 21, 2006                                                         (518) 402-8000

DEC ADOPTS EMERGENCY REGULATION TO HELP PREVENT SPREAD OF VHS TO ADDITIONAL NEW YORK STATE WATERS

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) announced today the filing of an emergency regulation to help prevent the spread of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) virus to additional waters in the State.  The regulation, which takes effect immediately, limits the release, possession, and taking of certain bait and other live fish species. VHS is a pathogen of fish and does not pose any threat to public health.

VHS was first confirmed in New York waters in May 2006 in Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River, and has now also been confirmed in several fish species in Great Lakes basin waters in New York State and other states. Once a fish is infected with VHS, there is no known cure. Because of the fatal virus's ability to spread, and potential impact on fisheries, recreation, and the economy, the World Organization of Animal Health has categorized VHS as a transmissible disease with the potential for profound socio-economic consequences.

VHS can be spread from water body to water body through a variety of means, not all of them known at this point. One known mechanism is through the movement of fish, including bait fish. DEC, in cooperation with the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University, is sampling waters across the State, including all waters used as sources of brood stock for DEC hatchery activities, to help determine how far the disease has spread in New York.

A Federal Order was issued on October 24, 2006, by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in an effort to prevent the spread of VHS to other waters and to protect economically important sport fisheries and aquaculture.  The Federal Order prohibits the importation of certain species of live fish from Ontario and Quebec and the interstate movement of the same fish species from eight states bordering the Great Lakes.  The Federal Order was amended on November 14, 2006 to allow interstate movement of fish species provided the fish have been tested and certified free of VHS based on testing procedures implemented on the state level.  Information on the Federal Order can be found on the APHIS website at www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/aqua/ .

(MORE)

-2-

The Federal Order does not address the movement of fish within New York State.  In-state movement of fish for use as bait or for stocking could spread VHS in New York and cause significant adverse impacts to the States fish resources. Therefore, in order to protect New Yorks valuable fishery resources, DEC has adopted emergency regulations to:

Prohibit the commercial collection of bait fish from waters of the State where VHS has been detected. The rule amends State regulations by removing certain waters impacted by VHS from the list of specially designated waters that allow bait fish to be taken for commercial purposes. A list of waters being removed is attached;

Limit the personal possession and use of bait fish. The rule limits the number of bait fish that may be possessed to a total of 100, as well as restricts the use of bait fish for personal use to the specific water from which it was collected. This rule does not pertain to the possession of bait fish in the Marine District; and

Require live fish destined for release into the waters of the State to be inspected by certified professionals and be certified to be free of VHS and other serious fish diseases. The rule prohibits the placement of live fish into the waters of the State (including possessing, importing and transporting live fish for purposes of placing them into the waters of the State) unless accompanied by a fish health inspection report issued within the previous 12 months.  For all species of freshwater fish, a fish health inspection report shall certify that the fish are free of VHS, Furunculosis, Enteric Red Mouth, Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis Virus, Spring Viremia of Carp Virus, and Heterosporis. For salmon and trout, the fish health reports must also certify that the fish are free of Whirling Disease, Bacterial Kidney Disease, and Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis Virus (IHN). The fish health reports must be issued by an independent, qualified inspector, as well as conform with specific testing methods and procedures.

The emergency regulations became effective today - November 21, 2006.  Text of the regulation is available at http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/propregs/ on the DEC website. Hard copies of the rulemaking can also be requested from DEC by writing to: Shaun Keeler, NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4750; or by calling DEC at (518) 402-8920.

While the emergency measure is in place, DEC will proceed with proposing these amendments as a permanent rulemaking.  Publication in the State Register on December 6, 2006, will initiate a 45-day public comment period, concluding on January 22, 2006.  During this time, the public may email comments by accessing http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/propregs/ on the DEC website. Comments can also be mailed to Shaun Keeler, NYS DEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4750 .       

(MORE)

-3-

List of waters removed, due to VHS, from those where commercial bait fish harvest was previously allowed. 
Cayuga County
        Fair Haven Bay (Little Sodus Bay)
        Lake Ontario
        Sterling Valley Creek (from road bridge on Route 104 to Lake Ontario)

Chautauqua County
        Canadaway Creek (from mouth to Route 5)
        Cattaraugus Creek (from mouth to Route 5)
        Crooked Brook (from mouth to Route 5)
        Lake Erie
        Little Canadaway Creek (from mouth to Route 5)
        Silver Creek (from mouth to Route 5)
        Walnut Creek (from mouth to Route 5)

Erie County
        Buffalo River from mouth to South Ogden Street Bridge
        Big Sister Creek, from mouth to Route 5
        Eighteen Mile Creek, from mouth to Route 5
        Ellicott Creek, from mouth to Route 5
        Lake Erie
        Little Sister Creek, from mouth to Route 5
        Niagara River
                Tonawanda Creek/Erie Barge Canal, from Niagara River east to Barge Canal junction near Pendelton, Niagara County
                Tributaries to Niagara River on Grand Island, from their mouths to a point 100 feet upstream of the first highway bridge crossing except Big Six Mile Creek, for which Whitehaven Road is the upstream limit

Jefferson County
        Beaver Meadow Creek
        Bedford Creek
        Chaumont River
        Cranberry Creek
        Crooked Creek
        Flat Rock Creek
        Fox Creek
        French Creek and tributaries
        Guffins Creek
        Horse Creek
        Lake Ontario

(MORE)

-4-

Little Stony Creek and tributaries, all above the first road crossing (not including Six Town Pond)
        Mill Creek and tributaries, from first road crossing to Stowell Corners
        Mud Creek
        Mullet Creek and tributaries (Mullet Creek upstream from Route 12)
        Muskalonge Creek
                North Sand Creek (from the highway bridge in Woodville upstream to the Ellisburg-Adams town line)
        Otter Creek and tributaries
        Perch River
        St. Lawrence River
                Skinner Creek and tributaries (downstream from the Lum Road, also called McDonald Hill Road, located approximately 3.5 miles southwest of Mannsville)
        South Sandy Creek (from bridge at Ellisburg on Route 193 upstream to Route 11)
        Three Mile Creek

Livingston County.
        Conesus Lake

Monroe County
        Braddocks Bay
        Buck Pond
        Cranberry Pond
        Genesee River (downstream of the lower falls in Rochester)
        Irondequoit Bay
        Lake Ontario
        Long Pond
        Round Pond
        Salmon Creek (north of Ridge Road)

Niagara County
        Barge Canal (west of Lock E35 )
        Lake Ontario
        Niagara River including the Little Rivers
                Tonawanda Creek/Erie Barge Canal (from Niagara River east to junction with Barge Canal near Pendleton)
        East Branch Twelve Mile Creek (from mouth to Route 18)

Orleans County.
        Johnson Creek (from Kuckville to Lake Ontario)
        Lake Ontario
        Oak Orchard Creek (from Waterport to Lake Ontario)

(MORE)

-5-

Oswego County
        Blind Creek and tributaries west of Route 11
        Catfish Creek (north of the hamlet of New Haven)
        Eight Mile Creek (north of Route 104A)
        Lake Ontario
        Lindsey Creek to Jefferson county line
        first tributary of Lindsey Creek, lower one-half mile
        Little Sandy Creek west of Route 11
        Nine Mile Creek north of Route 104A
        Oswego Canal
        Oswego River (downstream of the Varick dam in Oswego)
        Rice or Three Mile Creek north of Fruit Valley
        Salmon River from Pulaski to Lake Ontario
        Skinner Creek
        North Sandy Pond

St. Lawrence County
        Big Sucker Creek, Towns of Lisbon, Waddington
        Black Creek, Town of Hammond
        Brandy Brook, Towns of Waddington and Madrid
        Chippewa Bay
        Chippewa Creek, Town of Hammond
        Lisbon Creek, Towns of Oswegatchie and Lisbon
        Little Sucker Brook, Town of Waddington
        Oswegatchie River (downstream of the dam in Ogdensburg)
        St. Lawrence River
        St. Regis River, from Helena to the St. Lawrence River, Town of Brasher
        Sucker Creek, Town of Oswegatchie
        Tibbits Creek, Town of Oswegatchie

Wayne County
        Bear Creek
        Black Brook
        Blind Sodus Bay
        Blind Sodus Creek
        East Bay
        First Creek
        Lake Ontario
        Port Bay
        Salmon Creek
        Second Creek (below falls at Red Mill)
        Sodus Bay
        Swales Creek
        Wolcott Creek

###

06-191

Mary Young
Media Relations
NYS DEC
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-1016
518-402-8000

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2006, 04:34 PM »
I guess this means that unless you trap minnows from the water you are going to fish, there are no minnows this year. 

This really sucks.

I love a flag!!!!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2006, 04:38 PM »
I'm so consfused about this whole thing, What I got out of the reading, is its preventing the taking of baitfish from those places. But I take it most of those places are where they come from, is that why baits going to be so hard to get this year?
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I'm confused too so I went to DEC's site and found this decent summary of the impact for us and the bait shops. Looks like you can still use bait you buy in a bait shop that's been certified per lot (if they collect their own bait) or have paperwork from a wholesaler stating the lot that was sold to the retailer was certified.  To me that means that if the shop collects it's own bait they have to sit around and wait for someone to inspect it before they can sell it.   If they purchase from a wholesaler, that bait, if already inspected, could be sold with the paperwork on hand. So if your lucky enoughto find a bait dealer that has "preinspected" bait, you can buy it and use it. 

How many fish inspectors are there? Three? 

Here's the summary:

A summary of the emergency regulations that the Department has adopted is as follows:

Close confirmed VHS waters to the commercial harvest of bait fish. The list of confirmed waters includes Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, the Niagara River, the St. Lawrence River, and Conesus Lake. Tributaries to these bodies of water have also been closed to the commercial harvest of bait fish.

All live fish destined for the waters of New York State are required to have a fish health inspection report by a qualified fish health inspector that certifies the fish as disease free. This includes all fish, including live fish for stocking and bait fish. Therefore, in order for a bait and tackle shop to sell bait fish, the bait and tackle shop must have a fish health inspection report by a qualified fish health inspector that certifies the bait fish as disease free. Once a fish health inspection report is obtained by a wholesaler for a "lot" of bait fish, it can be made available/transferred (a copy given) to a bait and tackle shop that receives fish covered by the report.

Bait fish purchased from a source (i.e. bait and tackle store) that has a fish health inspection report by a qualified fish health inspector that certifies the fish as disease free may be used as bait in any body of water in New York State where the use of bait fish is permitted.

Personally harvested bait fish can only be used from the body of water from which they were caught for the purposes of reducing the spreading of VHS.
The personal (non-commercial) possession limit of bait fish is 100 regardless of whether those fish were personally harvested or purchased at a bait and tackle store.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I spoke with Jeff from Fish 307 Lake George, he said bait will be available but the price will be going up.As I understand it there is a $1600.00 per lot fee for the testing of the bait that the suppliers will have to foot a percentage of  that fee will be passed down to the bait shops who in turn will pass it down to us
 >:(

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:41 PM »
You probably are going to pay about 12 dollars for a few minnows.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:06 PM »
The $1600 fee is a little overblown. The one place that I talked to today is $1040.00 . I have to overnight 60 minnows on ice packs and then wait 21 days for results. Of course the cost is non refundable upon failure.If I lose the bait to unforseen complications, I'm reall bummin'.

Once I get to 1,000 lbs of emeralds, I'm sending them ( the 60 specimens) off. I'm only a bait shop owner and part time wholesaler. For the love of the sport and the opportunity before me, I have decided to go in a little deeper and I hope that I don't drown in the process. I am legally harvesting here in new york state. I talked to the guy in charge of this whole thing on the phone and confirmed it.

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:48 PM »
i catch my own in the Niagara river. can i continue to do so.
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:52 PM »
only if u use them in the niagra river

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:58 PM »
only if u use them in the Niagara river

that blows. so how exactly how do we get minnows for bait now. I'm really confused by this whole thing.
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline nyoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:40 PM »
So what's the best way to get minnows from a pond or lake?
Hunting, fishing, camping.....who says life has to be hard??

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Use gee's minnow traps in beaver creeks and ponds for chubs or shiners, in isolated ponds for fatheads or shiners. use two hand fulls of dry cat food for bait. For lake minnows, I prefer seining, or dipping emeralds in streams with a modified landing net. This just has a 1/8" mesh instead.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2006, 11:35 PM »
What about some of us that are coming from out of state.  Can we bring our own minnows with us to use up in New York.  I mean come on, I'm going down to PA anyway and will bring up a few dozen shiners to keep in my tank to use on Oneida, where's the crime in that.  Anybody know what the penalty is for such an infraction or at least know how they'll enforce this issue for someone who brings bait up.  Just want to know, thanx.  Can you say "Black market."  Screw being a doctor, i'm just gonna sell minnow out of my fish tank and make a killing ( or get locked away and laughed at in prison).  God, reminds me of the fools I met on the salmon river last year willing to buy my lead split shots cause they hated tin (Well lets just say, It paid my bar tab).  Someone is gonna turn into the next Al capone with this one - i can already smell illicit minds at work.  Enjoy Boys.
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline iceisnice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2006, 05:39 AM »
I spoke with Jeff from Fish 307 Lake George, he said bait will be available but the price will be going up.As I understand it there is a $1600.00 per lot fee for the testing of the bait that the suppliers will have to foot a percentage of  that fee will be passed down to the bait shops who in turn will pass it down to us
 >:(
I did not say $1600 to test the bait!!  I said between $600 and $1000 per load depending on the approved lab that does the testing.
I can also get bait from legal waters.  The problem is, in order to do that, the bait must be removed, and  held in tanks away from the water it was taken.  Quarinteened until it has been tested.
I can only hold about 700 pounds at a time. I used to hold my wild bait in cages in the waters I trapped in.  At that time I could hold a few thousand pounds.  It takes between 1 and 2 weeks for the test to come back and that is a long time to hold bait without some loss.  This loss also adds to the push in price.
As of now we are selling certified bait and the supply chain is okay.  We will all have to watch as the season moves on to see how it holds up.
I do not know exactly where this $1600 thing came from but please lets let it go.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:02 AM »
Can you store wild caught in the lake and transfer and test as needed. Load up the lake cages and your 700 pound on shore tank then as you sell off the on shore pull from the lake and have them tested. Or is your 700 pounds on shore all in one tank? Either way it's a struggle to keep a steady flow going.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:57 AM »
The $1600 fee came from the dec site in one of the vhs pages.

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:10 AM »
jmiser the answer is no the federal ban prohibit's interstate transport of bait into or out of the 8 state's without the clean bill of health
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline iceisnice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2006, 05:52 PM »
Can you store wild caught in the lake and transfer and test as needed. Load up the lake cages and your 700 pound on shore tank then as you sell off the on shore pull from the lake and have them tested. Or is your 700 pounds on shore all in one tank? Either way it's a struggle to keep a steady flow going.
The 700 pounds would now have to be removed from the body of water and held on shore for the load.
If we left bait in a body of water we would have to have each removal tested.  Thats gets to be very expensive and would not pay.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:09 PM »
I did not say $1600 to test the bait!!  I said between $600 and $1000 per load depending on the approved lab that does the testing.
I can also get bait from legal waters.  The problem is, in order to do that, the bait must be removed, and  held in tanks away from the water it was taken.  Quarinteened until it has been tested.
I can only hold about 700 pounds at a time. I used to hold my wild bait in cages in the waters I trapped in.  At that time I could hold a few thousand pounds.  It takes between 1 and 2 weeks for the test to come back and that is a long time to hold bait without some loss.  This loss also adds to the push in price.
As of now we are selling certified bait and the supply chain is okay.  We will all have to watch as the season moves on to see how it holds up.
I do not know exactly where this $1600 thing came from but please lets let it go.
Ice
I said that you would have bait.I didn't say the $1600 fee information came from you but thats what I understood it to be.I apoligaze for any misunderstanding

Offline jimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:26 PM »
  I went fishing yesterday in the upper Niagara on Grand Island , where I live. I made 1 dip and got about 6 # of emeralds. The whole marina where I fish was solid. As far out as I could cast was solid minnows. If there are baitfish dying from this virius you could'nt prove it by me.
jmo

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:11 PM »
jimo the vhs virus might not have reached niagra yet i dont no how long it takes but i dont think it is there now  ??? idk anyone else have any other info???

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Where the virus is now is a moot point.  The key is to heed the advisory, so it isn't transported anyplace new.  Just because you may not see visual indications of the virus doesn't mean the body of water or your intended bait are "clean".
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2006, 09:13 PM »
jimo the vhs virus might not have reached niagra yet i dont no how long it takes but i dont think it is there now  ??? idk anyone else have any other info???

It has been stated by a state official that VHS reached lake st.clair.  Now that's scary. Bilge water is the suspected culprit.

I don't know how long it takes for a fish or minnow to die from this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.