New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George Report with my Son  (Read 1118 times)

Offline jackperch

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake George Report with my Son
« on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Last week, I posted on the Lake George BS thread that I was going to stop by "The King" with my 14-year-old son on the way home to NJ from a ski trip to VT, and was looking for some general how-to and where-to info.  We had never been to Lake George before, never caught a lake trout, and had no electronics -- and had only two hours to fish.

Many thanks to all of the guys who posted various tips and especially thanks for the PMs (you guys know who you are!) -- greatly appreciated. 

Spoiler alert: we didn't catch anything...

BUT... here are my impressions on "The King":

1.) It is an unbelievably beautiful lake. Something about its size -- which is enormous -- ringed with those mountains. When we got to the parking spot and walked out on it, it felt like walking into Yankee Stadium for the first time -- you are now ice fishing at the highest level.
2.) Crazy you can walk out 50 yards from shore and be in 100 feet of water, and it takes a crazy-long time for a 5/8 ounce lure to reach the bottom! I am primarily a panfish jigger in relatively small NJ/NY lakes and ponds where 10 feet is on the deep side. Felt like I was fishing the Marianas Trench...
4.) Fellow anglers were really friendly -- one guy leaving the ice gave me a quick report (he did well) and pointed me to his location. He even gave me some spikes to tip my jigs.
5.) My son set up in an abandoned ice hole near a shanty and a guy eventually came out and started talking to him.  One thing led to another he came out with his Vexilar and showed him fish holding on the bottom. Next thing his other buddy came out and they showed him how to lower the jig to the marks on the flasher (see pic).  Then we watched fish approach -- but not hit. But this was super-exciting to us first-timers, even though we never hooked up. The anglers reported that the fish were doing that all day -- kind of had lockjaw, and they explained how great the fishing can be, and I can see how. It was incredibly nice and generous for these guys to spend so much time with my son.
6.) For the Lake George regulars: you have a great community of anglers and a great fishery. You you should do everything you can to protect it! I hope to be back sometime soon.
7.) Might be time to buy a flasher... 

Offline Ohiobucks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake George Report with my Son
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2019, 12:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience!  I fished for a while without a flasher, then went out with a guy that used one.  That night I bought one and I wouldn’t even go out without it now.  There are definitely good people out there that are willing to help out. Glad you had fun. 

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2019, 12:59 PM »
Nice report and glad you enjoyed the experience.
It's actually called the " queen " by definition,  lol
I was also a blind jigger and tip up guy forever until I was humbled.
Now I rarely do tip ups and wouldn't be without sonar.

My only suggestion is to check out the "other " lake about 25 miles north. Its better suited for tip ups and jigs well too.
Far less traffic once the queen freezes and I enjoy peaceful solutions.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Very cool for those individuals to help your son out.

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Glad you got the most out of your experience! The queen is a beautiful lake and us locals are very grateful to have the fishing opportunities we do around here. Hopefully you make a trip back someday and are able to get on some fish next time... Tight lines!
Hunting trouts.

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:55 PM »
These are the reports you like reading,it's what its all about fisherman helping each other. My hats off to all involved helping this father and son to have memoriesies there never going to forget. I myself watch this sight closely and is on my bucket list to come out this year to catch Lakers also.

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Great reports Jackperch.  I read both your before and after posts.  Superb.  I will be making my maiden voyage to Lake George with my son this Friday.  He is a quite bit older than 14 but neither of us have ice fished The King.  We fish all the time in Putnam county and are excited as can be to try and jig up a laker or two.  Nothing better than spending time in the outdoors with family.  If anyone wants to give me a heads up on where to try, I thank you in advance.  If not, I hope we are lucky enough to meet some fellow fisherman wherever we wind up dropping our jigs.  I hope you and your son are able to get back someday.  Thank you.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:33 AM »
7.) Might be time to buy a flasher... 

I warn everyone I ever take out jigging lakers it's going to be an expensive trip because you're going to end up buying a flasher and all the gear to do it again  ;D

Wait until the two of you get out on a day with a good bite …

Flasher $400
Shanty $400
Heater $100
Auger  $100
Spud Bar $20
Miscellaneous Jigs etc $100

Watching a laker screaming up off the bottom when your lure is only 5 feet down and just knowing it's going to get crushed, fighting and landing it and then as fast as you can drop it back down having it happen again ….  and again    ....   PRICELESS  @)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.