New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: THE 2nd Anual BEST CHALLENGE/ ICE TOURNEY AT CUBA LAKE  (Read 11218 times)

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
Re: THE 2nd Anual BEST CHALLENGE/ ICE TOURNEY AT CUBA LAKE
« Reply #60 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:22 AM »
Hey I know some of those cats, great photo.
Get your game faces ON! and 12oz hands ready!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:01 AM »
Great stuff!!! Is the news going to be there on sat. too? Brian, I had a beer with your pops at the HHI on sat. and he tells me that you have been pounding the fish at Cuba.  ??? Give us some reports there fella, I see how you are--- fishy. (lol)  See ya sat. Hope the rain holds off, because even a dog knows to stay out of the rain :-\. Later, Utes

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Well , the perch turned on briefly yesterday, long enough for those guys to get their limit of hogs.
   The perches bellies were full of small crappies I was told.
   Nice job guys! Over 200 big perch were taken in just a few hours and I missed it!!!
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

hali-man

« Reply #63 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:48 PM »
Well they sure didn't turn on where I was fishing, but I do know where it was...  ;)2

How's the report today, S? Did you make it down there?

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Mar 07, 2006, 04:43 PM »
No , and I haven't heard anything yet.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Mar 08, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Scott I have a question to pose to you.
 I have some friends coming down for saturday and they are not going to compete in the challenge. We will get out early on the lake before 8, is it ok If I get them on the ice and let them start to fish?
rather see my foreman and his son get into some fish rather than catch em myself.
Will it be a problem if I get them on the ice fish w/o fishing myself?
Can you pre drill holes for tip ups in the AM?
If its a problem let me know and I will just fish and hang out for the day.
Would like to compete but not cause any problems (no issues of cheating because that is NOT my style)
Let me know boss thanks
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 08, 2006, 11:41 AM »
Wizard, I have 2 questions about the tourney. First is it like the case lake derby with judges on the ice all day measuring or bring'em all in at the end of the day for a final measurement. 2nd I see sign up is 6:00 till 10:00. The way Buckski is talking there is a time that you are going to "release" us to go on the lake. I just don't want to make the 2 hours drive and get there at 6 to have to wait until 7:00 or 8:00 to get on the ice. Thanks see-ya all this weekend (hopefully).

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Mar 08, 2006, 02:23 PM »
which end did the perch turn on at wiz the dam end or towards the rez i dodnt pretty good out there last week hammered some nice perch and 4 crappie 11 inchers
case lake tourney 5th in trout 2009- cuba lake 2005 biggest perch harwood lake tourney 2nd in crappie 2010

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Mar 08, 2006, 08:00 PM »
IS THERE GOING TO BE GOOD ICE? IS THE QUESTION I WANT TO ASK. HOW IS IT HOLDING UP ????  Wanting to Stay On Top, Utes

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Mar 08, 2006, 08:38 PM »
well, Utes, I'm not the predictor of all ice but I would say the part I was on today will be good.  10" of ice from one side to the other.  drilled holes all the way across and she was fine.  getting on may be a problem but then that's why they invented 2x10's isn't it?  ;D  I'm sure the Wizard will give us his insights.  kinda a tough call the wya the weathermen (and women  ;D) have been foecasting this year but I'm sure he'll make sure all is safe. 
gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Mar 08, 2006, 09:24 PM »
question #1]Fishing stats at 7:00am   but sign ups can be earlier6:00 or so. that gives time for some to get to there spots by 7:00.
   ''       #2]   you bring the fish to the judges.
    "     #3]   I hope the ice holds  out through the rain, if it isn't safe I will cancel the tourney, because I won't be responsible for anyones safety.

Buckski- if they aren't in the tourney they can do as they please.      I don't want to see predrilling .[ If there was ,the local guys would have it to easy...

Bring Radios [2 way]  the odd ball fish prize will be given to the first odd ball .  call on radio to enter it then get it to me  first to collect the prize  Which is a $49.95 Kershaw pocket knife donated by Jerry of Wny.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Mar 08, 2006, 09:42 PM »
Elk burgers for lunch?  who's buyin' the buns?  anybody bringin' beer?  or Aftershock?  who's bringin the plank?  these are serious questions scott    we need answers.   ;D
screw the fishin'  let's just party!!   if there' no ice we'll all meet as Scott's house.   ;D
gair-z 
ps, just havin' a little fun..  it's a fun tourney..  Let's hope for some ice and and good weather!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Mar 09, 2006, 08:16 AM »
Man, was thinking of  bringing a machine and would have space in the trailer for some longer planks 2x10's.
Gair is the dam shore ice going to crap?
Going to be a last minute call on the machines and can bring some thing to get on the ice but need to know before friday.
Sounds good will be out early sat. can bring some rolls and other grillables if there will be a grill.
Let me know have some venison and other stuff.
Gair I will Bring no beer, just gonna get some of the genny's from ya :thumbsup:
Guys I use this weather service and the report is for sunny 54?
Check it out its area specific with the zip 14727
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/14727?dayNum=2&from=weekend
They are calling for 45 temp for fri and few showers, the wind may be the issue byt its 25-30 tops MPH and cuba is in a valley protected more than other lakes from the wind.
Hope Iam keeping it positive and we can get out and have a riot!
Anyone local who can expand on the forecast and ice conditions.

Jean Cocteau

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Mar 09, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Everyone keep your fingers crossed, I heard the ice was still  in good shape ,that all the snow wasn't even gone yet but I haven't seen it with my own eyes to be sure.                                                   
 Buckski    you better bring beer , you drank all mine last year. ;D

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Mar 10, 2006, 06:14 AM »
do you think that it is safe for machines how about shore ice  ill be there tommrrow bright and early  hey  wizard are you accepting donations for prizes  if so ill bring a couple    BIGFISH      CATCH A BIG ONE :thumbsup:

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Mar 10, 2006, 07:49 AM »
Everyone keep your fingers crossed, I heard the ice was still  in good shape ,that all the snow wasn't even gone yet but I haven't seen it with my own eyes to be sure.                                                   
 Buckski    you better bring beer , you drank all mine last year. ;D
ME DRINK BEER? NEVER!!
How about johhy BLUES sound OK, hey is there going to be a grill?? can bring some stuff to cook just let me know, also I'll take out some summer sausage to munch on during prize time.
Machines yes or no??

Jean Cocteau

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:04 AM »
I can use some prizes to give a way, if they are donated.  The best I can do every one is to go down tonight to the lake side and drill some holes around shore ,check the ice conditions and report  how it is tonight.    Then we have to pray that it doesn't get any worse over night.   If I find 5'' or more at shore I will plan on it being fine for machines tomorrow.  I'm thinking the ice in the middle is quite safe still, it was 10'' in some spots7-8'' most others[ a way from shore]   {I don't fish next to shore so I can't say how thick that is}
    I don't want to see any one drive a long way towing a trailer if they can't use their atvs.                Remember room for parking will be an issue.

:woot: }*)/////////k<

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:09 AM »
hey buckski  i have grill and beer not sure on the wheeler yet heading done to the cabin in acouple hours  see you in am :thumbsup:   bigfish

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Mar 10, 2006, 10:04 AM »
ill be heding down soon to hope it holds up for tommrow
case lake tourney 5th in trout 2009- cuba lake 2005 biggest perch harwood lake tourney 2nd in crappie 2010

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Mar 10, 2006, 10:14 AM »
Wind is whippin' now , it's 11:12am but it is supposed to calm some after 2:30 pm. My reports  are ice is good but covered w/water.     I'll find out more and report through out the day...

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Thanks  wizard, that would be helpful and probably the deciding factor on whether i make it there or not. Other guys i was suppose to go with are backing out so i'll be heading down myself. I'd rather deal with a little water on the ice than snow. Stay On Top, Utes

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Mar 10, 2006, 05:49 PM »
Woo HOooOOoOoooOoooooooOOO ooo!   the tourney's on!
I guess i better get to packin'.   c-y'all tomorrow.
gair-z

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Mar 10, 2006, 06:15 PM »
GAME ON!!!
see ya in the am
Scott I picked up a 30 just in case ;)2
Big Fish I'll defrost some venison and may be we can snack on it during the awards.

Jean Cocteau

crowkiller

« Reply #84 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:26 PM »
were are all the pics guys how did ya do? every one stay dry

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:37 PM »
I don't want to ruin Wizz's gig..  I'm waiting for Wizard to put up results and Hali-man to post pics..  fun time - made of course by beuatiful weather, safe ice and a good bunch of guys  not mention beer.  ;D
I can tell ya this.  there was a nice pike caught, a dandy calico and a decent perch..  no eye.. 
Grump, I lost something big at the hole at 10 minutes before quittin' time.  ;D   no lie.  my pole took the brunt of the fury.  >:(
gair-z

I must add, all categories taken (perch, crappie, pike) were by Shanty members!   

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Mar 12, 2006, 08:21 AM »
UTES  }caught the winning Crappie at 12 1/8''

BIGFISH} caught the big pike at 33 3/8''  [ real fatty, I'd like to know the wt.]

PERCHKILLER30 } brought in the winner at 10 3/4''
  Hali-man should be posting some pics later.

Thanks to Youngster for coming by with the White tail country gift certificates.
  Thanks again to Jerry of western NY for the Kershaw knife,  That was won by CHRIS from lockport for catching the odd ball fish  [rockbass].
We  had nice new tip-downs to give away and also tip-ups. thanks to the guys for donating them as well.
     I had a good time! I think most every one else did too, I have to thank every one for keeping your areas clean an not leaving any garbage out there[ the only garbage I had to pick up was from people that weren't in the tourney]
 It was great to see some of you again and to meet some of you for the first time.
  Hope to see you all again next year...        SEE YA !         SCOTT / wizard

hali-man

« Reply #87 on: Mar 12, 2006, 10:32 AM »
It was a great time on Cuba!!! I probably walked 4 miles throughout the day, going here, there, and everywhere. Fishing some, BSing some, and laughing a lot. Buck and I stayed late and then hit her again this morning. I am completely satisfied even if this was the last time on the ice this season...

Here are Utes and BigFish with some winners:

Perchkiller counting the loot:

Howard's Jr and Sr:

Gair and Buck:

One cold and happy boy:

The Wizard hard at work:

Rich with some loot of his own:

Mike and pike (I do get lucky every once in a while):

Special thanks and props to Scott.  :clap:

I have a lot more pics if anyone would like to see them...

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Mar 12, 2006, 10:55 AM »
Thanks for the great pics Mike[hali-man] !    You can tell it was a alcohol free environment. :D :D The boy was 8 year old Kalab Cassidy from Fillmore, with his first pike through th ice.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Good Job Kalab!   by the sounds of it yesterday, the kids down the lake from us had a ball.    even the BIG kids.   ;D

thanks again, Scott.  and Hali too...... 
gair-z

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.