New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2015 SENY Gatherings suggestion  (Read 10580 times)

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2015 SENY Gatherings suggestion
« Reply #60 on: Sep 18, 2014, 11:25 AM »
What if we fly the flag and have small gatherings at all of them? Maybe we can start an ice fishing revolution...

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Sep 18, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Now there's an idea! Nice!!

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Sep 18, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I'll set up a flag pole and fly the flag at the King of the Ice this year

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #63 on: Sep 18, 2014, 03:01 PM »
The only date/event mentioned that is a contest is the South Fallsburg fire dept./Echo Lake one so there should be no problem flying the flag at White pond or Chodikee lake. The fire dept. probably will be alright with displaying the Ice Shanty colors. I also have a flag and flag pole.
Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #64 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:57 PM »
Don't forget the HIGHLAND LAKE tourney...... we should ALL try to make that one!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #65 on: Oct 03, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Greeting fell SENY ice anglers I see activity is picking up here on Ice Shanty. I have found/received new information since my last post to this thread ,the South Fallsburg fire dept. contest at Echo/Alta lake has changed it's date to some time in early February due to the fact the Hurleyville and Loch Sheldrake fire departments have decided to combine their respective contests into one contest. So it looks like the South Fallsburg contest will be on Feb. 7, 2015 . If this turns out to be correct I say we make the proposed gathering at White pond on Feb.21 instead of Feb.14 . Also I realize the 14Th is Valentine's day and the King of the Ice contests is Sunday Feb. 15,2015 .
I have received information on the following contests Mahogany Ridge Hunting club at Highland lake(Eldred,NY. area Sullivan county) ,Hurleyville/Loch Sheldrake,NY. Fire depts. Morning side Lake Hurleyville,NY.-Sullivan county and Florida,NY. fire dept.. at Glenmere lake in Florida,NY Orange county.

Below is my revised proposal for this seasons on-ice gatherings. I will make some phonecalls this weekend and get more information on some of these contests.

All dates are Saturdays                      Feb.8,2015   South Fallsburg,NY. Fire dept contest at Echo/Alta lake  Sullivan county,  Feb.21,2015
White Pond Putnam county   March 7,2015  Chodikee Lake  Ulster county

I once again ask if anyone has information on other contests or lakes they think would be good for a gathering please post them here or send me a personal message. I'm seeking information on Ulster,Duthchess and Putnam counties in Particular.[color=black
Steve]

[/color]

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #66 on: Oct 17, 2014, 02:38 AM »
After seeing IceBalls thread on this topic I made some phone calls Thursday afternoon . Once again I received a busy signal when calling the phone number I have as a contact for the Mahogany Ridge Hunting Club contest held at Highland Lake(Eldred area of Sullivan county) . I hope to make a trip to the White lake area latter today it is out of the way but will make a trip to Highland Lake and stop at the Bar-grill that provides food and parking for this contest hopefully they have some information. I will also keep calling the number I have as a contact.

On brighter news I spoke with Mr. Jack Halchak one of the organizers for the Hurleyville fire dept. Contest held at Morningside Lake (Town of Fallsburg -Sullivan county) THEY HAVE NOT COMBINED THEIR CONTEST WITH LOCH SHELDRAKE"S . They only combined the summer open water contest.

This years contest will be on Sat. Feb.14,2015 entry fee is $5.00 for all persons age 16 and over -under 16 no entry fee, they hold a 50-50 and raffle . You also can attend a after the contest buffet meal at the Hurleyville fire House for no additional cost. If you go to the top section of the NY.general community you will see a thread started by adkRoy  "ICE Fishing Contests and Derbies it contains info. from last years contest. You can also find information at the website below.

www.hurleyvilleny.com       Mr. Halchak also gave me a contact for the Loch Sheldrake Fire Dept. contest I will do a search for this person's phone number.  He also said in years past the fire dept. contests he knows about have been on the following dates.

South Fallsburg on Alta/Echo Lake  last Sat. in January ,Loch Sheldrake first Sat. in February , Monticello fire dept.'s is also one Sat. in February at Sackett Lake. The Sullivan County Conservation Club's website lists this seasons King of the Ice Contest for Sun.Feb.15,2015 at White Lake .

If you have seen my last post to this thread I proposed the following as meeting places and dates for on-ice gatherings The South Fallsburg contest , White Pond on Sat. Feb. 14 or 21 (Stormville, NY. area border of Dutchess-Putnam counties) and Chodikee Lake on Sat. March 8 (New Paltz,NY. area Ulster county) .

PLEASE REMEMBER EVERYONE IS FREE TO START A NEW TOPIC/THREAD ONCE THIS SEASON HAS STARTED SAYING MEET ME AT SO AND SO LAKE. THIS WILL NOT OFFEND ME . BRING YOUR SUGGESTIONS WITH YOU TO THE PRESEASON GATHERING.

My apology for using capital letters twice in this post. I know this is considered as Shouting on the Internet just wanted to highlight my comments.

Mr.Clean/Steve                    Almost forgot to mention they recently socked the lake with walleyes  no idea on average size and total number of fish.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #67 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:58 AM »
        Almost forgot to mention they recently socked the lake with walleyes  no idea on average size and total number of fish.

Which body of water/fishery are you referring to?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Oct 17, 2014, 12:41 PM »
I probably have mentioned this in the past, but it bears a brief reminder again:

If Feb. 14 is going to be a Get-Together date, then my strong suggestion would be to have it at the Highland Lake contest run by the Mahogany Ridge Hunting/Fishing club.  Reason:  Excellent access to the lake, ease of parking with close proximity to the access point, free bait minnows with your registration fee, wonderful free hot lunch and beverages included, nice prizes in several categories, and the club usually raffles off a nice rifle/shotgun (for you hunters out there).

Re:  White Pond....  I do not suggest a meeting at this pond.  Reason:  VERY shallow lake (max.depth abt 10 feet), despite many trips to this bodyof water, the only thing caught was stunted Bass and tiny catfish.  There are, however, consistant RUMOURS of Northern Pike, Walleye, and Crappies.....but I've never seen or caught any.

So. Fallsburgh FD (Echo Lake) contest....... Excellently run, easy parking, easy lake access, no need to walk far to catch fish, great prizes, and they run a 50/50 drawing that's usuallly in the $300 - $400 prize class.

White Lake (King of The Ice).... The WORST !!! I'll say no more !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #69 on: Oct 18, 2014, 03:32 AM »
Hardwater Diehard To answer your question the lake is Morningside . I believe part of any profits made from the Hurleyville fire dept. contest is used to purchase walleye . How well they survive I do not know Morningside is not that deep maybe 15 feet in a few spots.

I was in Highland Lake Friday afternoon and obtained some of the same information as IceBalls has posted. The Mahogany Ridge Hunting club contest will be held on Sat. Feb.14,2015 . Entry fee is $20.00 for adults (15 and over) ,$10.00 for youth this includes one dozen bait fish, hot lunch and beverages . Additional bait maybe purchased for $2.50 per dozen.  I also got a contact name and phone number the one I had was for a member of the Eldred Rod&Gun Club which at one time also held a contest on Highland Lake. Anyone who would like the contact name and phone number please send me a personal message . I was asked not to display the phone number to everyone.

IceBalls I take note of your comments re-guarding White Pond , as I have posted before on reason for using a body of water in Dutchess/Putnam county area was to allow members who live on the east side of the Hudson river  a shorter commute to any gathering. In past years some members complained about the travel distance to Lake Huntington in Western Sullivan county.
  I was told the Mahogany Ridge contest averages around 200 hundred entrants and do not think the entry fee is bad for what it entitles a person to but even for me it is a one and a half hour or slightly longer drive. (I reside near the city of Newburgh in Orange county)  The Hurleyville contest can cost a person a similar amount of money when you figure in the cost of bait ,raffle and 50-50 tickets .It also is closer to the route 17 travel corrider .

As I've posted before all this is open for discussion at the Preseason gathering at Gander Mountain in Middletown.

Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #70 on: Oct 18, 2014, 08:04 AM »
I have fished white pond for many years, and although I have never caught a pike from here, I have caught bass, pickerel, perch, walleye, crappie, and some nice sized gills here.  The max average depth that Ive found is 15 feet, with pockets up to 18.  Fishing here can be slow, or if you hit it right, fast.  I watched my friend pull a 6 pound walleye out of the ice one night.

This 'Eye was from Whites:

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Oct 18, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Mr. Clean.....Steve, I understand what you're saying about fishing on the East side of the Hudson River.  If that's the case, my suggestion would be to fish one of the many NYC reservoirs.  As I mentioned, I have a friend who lives in Mahopac and fishes the reservoirs constantly.  I'm sure he could put us onto a good location for one of our get togethers.  All of the reservoirs are located in Westchester & Putnam counties.   Bait is avaiable at Bob's Bait & Tackle (Somers) and another shop (don't know the name) located along Rt. 35 by Cross River Res.

We can talk about it at the Gander meeting.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #72 on: Oct 18, 2014, 03:34 PM »
just so your not assuming Morningside gets 15 foot deep, the deepest hole there is about 8 foot and thats about 5 foot across! the adverage depth there is 4.5-5 foot!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #73 on: Oct 19, 2014, 03:29 AM »
Boss J/Boss Jigs my apology you are correct just checked one book I own that has a crude map of Morningside it lists max. depth at ten feet
I will have to check my facts in the future .

IceBalls  the only downside I see to any of the NYC reservoirs is the ban on gas augers. Especially if we had to cut through over one foot of ice. Please invite your friend to the preseason event at Gander Mountain. Doesn't route 6 pass by Glenida lake , also think there is a bait shop on route 6 in Mahopac. Everyone also has to obtain the permit required to fish the reservoirs.

Other then KB's in put I have not heard from anyone else from Dutchess or Putnam counties.  I give the "Shot Shop" on route 55 in Pawling a call and see what they can tell me about lakes in the area.

Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Oct 19, 2014, 04:52 AM »
Upton lake will have a problem with parking.
I think the Marina on Whaley is finally open, but I don't know about access for the winter yet.
Putnam lake would have parking problems, plus it's a private.
Sylvan may or may not freeze as its big and deep.
Wappinger's is weedy and nasty.   It gets a lot of run off from the surrounding houses.
The same with Morgan.
Ice pond is a heck of a walk
That's all I can think of now

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Oct 19, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Yeah KB, that about covers it......

Upton lake has that small parking lot (abt 10 cars), but if that's full the only other spot is on the road itself.  I like Upton early in the season....good Trout fishing at that time.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Sylvan Lake (had a house there for 24 years), but, yes, it's "iffy" from year to year as far as safe ice is concerned.  Fishing is good there when you can get out.

I'll see if my buddy in Mahopac can make it up to our meeting in Nov..... he could fill us in on possible places in the Westchester/Putnam reservoir area that he fishes.

Another couple of targets might be Gleneida or Gilead, but, once again, very deep lakes which don't always freeze to safe thickness  (pray for COLD ).  These two can yield some nice Lakers if you know how to fish them (have to get Yeager66 (Mike) fill us in on that!!). 

See ya in Nov.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Oct 19, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Looking forward to it.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #77 on: Nov 10, 2014, 01:17 AM »
Yesterday morning the south east New York Ice Shanty members preseason gathering was held ,members attending had a brief discussion of my Suggestions of dates and lakes. It  was decided the we will have our first Gathering at the Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest on Saturday Jan.31,2015 . Location is Echo-Alta Lake in South Fallsburg. This is a private lake so unless you are a fiend of lake property owner it is off limits except for this contest. In past years Crappie weighing up to 3 pounds have been caught, just a small tidbit to get you excited.

I will keep gathering information on other contests and Lakes and after Thanksgiving ask one of the NY. Community moderators to start a poll of other possible locations and dates. At yesterday's south east New York preseason gathering a member suggested some of the lakes in the Palisades Interstate park system. (Harriman - Sterling Forest state parks and Rockland Lake)

So please keep checking this thread, I will try to have every thing in place by Christmas so everyone has time to make plans to attend one of the On-Ice/Lake Gathering(s).

Steve

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #78 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:04 AM »
Congratulations on your Gathering Mr.Clean and HD.....sounds like everybody had a great time!  :clap: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #79 on: Dec 05, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Just read through this whole thing... only thing I have to say is in regards to the posts on the first couple pages....  there is usually "safe" ice (for me 4") by the first week of January where I fish in Orange County, usually before then, and if I remember correctly by then people are walking on 6+ inches in Sullivan County by then

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Ice is progressing nicely in Sullivan County.... we may get lucky enough to be fishing before Christmas!!  It's already December.... we should get really serious now about setting a firm schedule for our get-togethers.  So far it looks like one at SoFallsburgh F.D. contest (Echo Lk.), one at Highland Lk Contest, one at Lk. Huntington, and maybe one more (Lake undecided).  Steve.... do you have date for the So.Fallsburgh thing??  I know Highland is Feb. 14.  Don't know if anyone is interested in the King of the Ice thing on White Lk. (Feb. 15).  Huntington can be anytime we want since no contest there.  Anyway, let's get settled firmly when we want to have the meets so they can be successful and well attended.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:54 PM »
the contest on morningside i believe is set for the same day as highland lakes contest.

i just set up my rides for thurday, friday, saturday and sunday to go to morningside. i gotta go see if its walkable yet. i hope at least one of the days ill be out there...

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:01 PM »
IceBalls.... The Fallsburg Ice contest will be held on JANUARY 31, 2015, Starting at 7:00 a.m. at the Fallsburg Firemen's Camp, Westwood Drive, Echo Lake, South Fallsburg, NY.
Here's the link on Iceshanty..... It's the Ice fishing contests and Derbies thread....  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=226384.0   
Here's another link for the facebook page....   https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fallsburg-Fire-Company/303534180358
A few small ponds I drove by today were covered in white ice.... One pond I checked had about 2 inches but WAS NOT SAFE(white ice)..... It shouldn't be too long before the smaller bodies of water are fishable! I hope to find better ice this coming weekend! See you on the water!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Dec 09, 2014, 03:48 PM »
i just set up my rides for thurday, friday, saturday and sunday to go to morningside. i gotta go see if its walkable yet. i hope at least one of the days ill be out there...

I would wait till at least sunday to go check... all the ponds that were frozen by me are now all wide open

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 09, 2014, 04:46 PM »
yeah yeah yeah   i know its gettin bad again... just going to be watching the temps and maybe one of the days do a icecheck with my ride waiting there as i do it so i can get home and dry, lol

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:59 PM »
yeah yeah yeah   i know its gettin bad again... just going to be watching the temps and maybe one of the days do a icecheck with my ride waiting there as i do it so i can get home and dry, lol

You should be good to go next weekend looking at the 10 day.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Dec 09, 2014, 10:43 PM »
yes by then it should be good to go. however i dont wait for the weekends...   i will be ice checking before then i am sure.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 10, 2014, 01:18 AM »

John...... PLEASE !!.....be careful....take no unnecessary risks.  Want you around for a looong time !!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 10, 2014, 03:36 AM »
relax rodger. i know the risks of going through. thats why i only stay shallow. thanks for the concern.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #89 on: Dec 11, 2014, 03:21 AM »
My apologies everyone for not keeping this thread updated, as Reelemin posted the Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest will be on Sat.Jan.31 . The contest runs from 7AM to 3PM ,live bait fish will be available for purchase at the contest, besides prizes for different fish also a raffle, coffee,hot chocolate and doughnuts will also be sold. You can check the Facebook hyperlink in Reelemin's post for raffle items.

In previous posts I proposed meeting at White Pond in Dutchess/Putnam counties on Sat. Feb 14 and then Chodikee Lake in Ulster county on Sat. March 8 . I now suggest we meet at the Hurleyville Fire Dept. contest (Morninside Lake, Sullivan County) on Feb.14 instead of White Pond. There is info. posted on this contest in the Ice Fishing contests/derby's thread started by ADK ROY .(stickied near top of New York general Community/board. Weather permitting we will still meet at Chodikee Lake on March 8.

I know there is also a contest at Highland Lake (western Sullivan county) on Feb.14 my feeling is that Morningside Lake is closer to the route 17 travel corrider. This should make it easier to find and get to for members coming for Rockland and east side of the Hudson river counties. IF ANY MEMBERS WANT TO MEET AT HIGHLAND LAKE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DO SO.

This coming February before this website slows down I will start a thread for 2016, hopefully members with more knowledge of Dutchess,Putnam counties and the NYC reservoir system will reply with suggestions.

If anyone would like to help me with suggesting and planning the 2016 ice season SENY on-ice meetings please send me a personal message.

I look forward to seeing all of you at the Fallsburg FD contest on Sat. Jan.31 .
Mr.Clean/Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.