New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2015 SENY Gatherings suggestion  (Read 10581 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
2015 SENY Gatherings suggestion
« on: Apr 01, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Greetings fellow south east New York Ice Shanty members. Since 2009 we have held an annual outing usually at Lake Huntington in western Sullivan County. This years questions about ice conditions caused the cancellation of the event and weather resulted in a low turn out at the back up event.(Original date was Jan.19,2014   backup Mahogany Ridge club contest on Feb.15,2014 this contest took place but was right after winter storm Pax and the conditions were brutal around 20 inches of snow. )
This got me thinking why not try and have multiple gatherings spread out around the area. I suggest meeting at established contests then no member has to take responsibility for determining ice conditions. Also have outings in Dutchess/Putnam and Orange/Rockland county areas so more members could attend without have to make a long trip to one place. Below I will list some contest we could use and also a few lakes we could meet at ,please post your feellings ,lake suggestions ,etc.  I will bump up this thread next fall when this site starts to become more active if we have a preseason meeting this idea could be discussed at that time.

Contests  Hurleyville Fire Dept. Morningside Lake Town of Fallsburg  ,Monticello Fire Dept. Sackett Lake Monticello area, Mahogany Ridge Highland Lake -Eldred ,NY. area  .All of these contests are in Sullivan county . So please add to my list I know there must be others in different counties.

Lakes to meet at White Pond/Dutchess-Putnam county     , Rockland Lake /Stony Point area of Rockland county  ,Slivermine Lake in Harriman State Park .   (Rockland Lake and SilverMine are under the control of the Palisades Interstate Park Commission they require a minimum of 6 inches of ice before allowing anyone to ice fish. )

Every one stay safe and have a great open water season. I log in to Ice Shanty year round and will keep a note book of posted ideas/suggestions.

MR.Clean/Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: 2015 SENY Gatherings suggestion
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2014, 12:48 AM »
Given Hardwater Diehard's recent post in the SENY thread thought I should bump this thread back up to page one.  He suggested having our annual outing at either Winding Hills park (off of rt.17k in Orange county) or at Morningside park (Town of Fallsburg, Sullivan county) . Please read the last few posts in the SENY thread (page 349) and my first post in this thread if you have any ideas,thoughts,suggestions please post a reply.
One lake I suggest is Chodikee off of route 299 in the New Paltz/Highland area of Ulster county . I'm not sure if the parking lot is plowed out on a regular basis in winter.
Steve

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Morningside freezes up pretty quick so it might good for an early meet. What about Swan Lake? That's another one that is usually ready early.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2014, 02:07 AM »
Redneck Fishfinder to my knowledge Swan Lake is privately owned, I think the local fire dept. does have a contest we could possibly meet at for a gathering.
Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Redneck Fishfinder to my knowledge Swan Lake is privately owned, I think the local fire dept. does have a contest we could possibly meet at for your gathering.
Steve

That is true to best of my knowledge ....most of the contests in Sullivan Co  are in the month of February ...with most on Saturday ...and some FD's and hunting clubs have the same dates ....and usually around the 15th (like clock work) the weather hits hard ...either heavy snow ...bitter cold or wind ...sometimes the trifecta .. with a thaw either before or lil after that date...the amount of snow atop of the average ice (10-12 inches) makes its sloppy or very unsafe ... last years back to back heavy snowfalls made it tuff going for a while...but all that snow melted down and turned to hard pack ...so we had 15 or more inches of  "ice" after that . Contests gets my vote for a meet ...but if safe ice comes in January and Huntington is not buried in I'd be up for that or other location.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2014, 09:04 AM »
I've always fished Swan Lake with no issues, I didn't realize that it was privately owned. I like Lake Huntington so I'd vote for that to. Would King of the Ice be a good get together? I know the fishing is usually crummy but it's a fun event!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2014, 09:33 AM »
Not a big fan of King of the Ice ....but another idea would be to fish White Lake the weekend after the contest ...should still be plowed out barring no heavy snow fall between times ...easy access and plenty of parking ... cant remember if there is a gate or not .... though the lake has been called the " Dead Sea" at times ...but an option .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2014, 10:34 AM »
That lake definitely is the Dead Sea- probably because of the boat traffic all day every day during the rest of the year. Constant boat traffic is pretty hard on the fish in small lakes. Lake Huntington would be a lot better if not for the jet skiers doing circles all day. They actually look ridiculous speeding around in circles in a small pond. I remember there used to be great trout fishing in there with schools of saw bellies churning the surface of the lake all summer. Used to see big browns coming through the ice just about every day. Not now. Actually haven't seen a trout in years.

Anyway... the king of the ice is more of a festival than a fishing tournament- I just go to be there and if I catch a fish that's a bonus. Does anyone know anything about swinging bridge?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2014, 10:54 AM »
RF ... Swinging bridge... DEC launch is closed in the winter (cable across access) and no parking on roadway at all ....the Marinas are closed for the season at that time so without permission from its owners its a no go ...not certain if they are even plowed out ...PS sent you a PM .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2014, 02:18 AM »
Hardwater diehard thank you for quoting me realized I needed to modify my reply to Redneck Fishfinder. Meeting at White lake the week after the King of The Ice contest is a good suggestion. If we we can obtain permission there is another way on to White Lake besides the state launch . Next to a restaurant called the Fat Lady Cafe is a series of docks we could use to get on the Ice Also off of route 55 by the Town of Bethel town justice court is a large parking lot . I can check with town clerk  to see if this lot is plowed on a regular basis. My thought is drop off gear by the docks park your vehicle walk back to docks and out to lake.
Also if everyone reads my initial post of this thread I would like to have multiple gathering at different locations in SENY. People could go to the one closest to their home or all of them if they so desire in the past travel distance has kept some members from attending the gathering.

To my knowledge the fist gathering was in February of 2009. I do not remember how we decide on Lake Huntington . the gathering has been held there every year since then with the exception of this year. IceBalls(Roger) has taken the lead in organizing things the last three years. Assuming we have a preseason meeting this year we could finalize plans then provided there is a list of suggested lakes/contests. I like using a contest because then no member has to check ice conditions beforehand this was a problem this past season.

Sorry to be so wordy I tend to run on at times with my posts.
Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2014, 06:17 AM »
    They plow the parking lot at white lake in the winter at the state launch most of the time.. You can drive down to the lake take out your gear then park the car..
I bring my 4 wheeler there sometimes..
images.jpeg

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Chodikee is a great spot with easy access that is regularly plowed and good fishing. Does anyone ever get any trout out of White Lake anymore?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2014, 11:10 AM »
tipup28 how is the fishing on Chodikee  for crappie and perch ? How far from the access point is productive water ? When is fishable safe ice usually expected ? I haven't fished White lake in a very long time ....that fishery takes quite a beating during the summer months from boat and jet ski traffic . Most trout guys I know fish the NYC reservoirs  ..lot of  rowing ..but can get great rewards .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Jul 04, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Glad to see an interest building for next years gathering/gatherings Dewey,Tipup28 thank you for the information .  Looking at a map of Chodikee in a book I own the surface area is 60 acres around 20 acres bigger then the lake at Winding Hills park. The actual fishing area is smaller flooded timber on western shoreline and southern part of the lake. It has been 10 years or more since I last ice fished their at that time a tipup set within 200 feet or so of any flooded timber/cat tails usually resulted in a flag. The catch was mostly chain pickerel some of decent size most averaging 16 to 20 inches in length. If this still in the case Chodikee maybe a good location for a family gathering since there should be action most of the day that would keep younger anglers occupied.
Dewey I know you fish Glenmere by Florida,NY. what are things like at that lake parking ,ease of access to the ice, etc. ? Also have you ever been to the contest held there by the Florida fire dept?
I will start writing down these ideas in a note book and do some research.  The book I own that contains crude maps and basic info.on some of the lakes in SENY the title is Southern New York Fishing directory put out by the Jack Stewart JR Memorial Fish &Wildlife fund. A new copy is published yearly cost is 10 dollars I have seenit for sale at Dick's ,Gander Mountain and various bait shops. It also contains a listing of bait shops.

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Just found this on the Fallsburg FD face book page.....   In an effort to keep harmony between all of our local fire departments, Fallsburg Fire Department's 2014 Ice Fishing contest has been CANCELLED. Our next Ice Fishing contest is scheduled for JANUARY 31, 2015, please save the date!!!!    If this contest is held on Echo lake in Fallsburg as it has been in years past its usually awesome ...nice huge crappies in that lake ...prizes and raffles are nice too. and its in January ...I do believe the contest hasn't been held in many years .   The lake also may be called Alta lake ....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Hardwater diehard thanks for posting about this contest. I know IceBalls and some other members have fished at this contest in years past. Is Echo/Alta lake a privately owned body of water like so many others in Sullivan county ?  If so it may see limited fishing pressure compared to other lakes with public access. What is the parking situation for this lake?
Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2014, 03:19 PM »
As far as I know it private . The FD has a pavilion on its NW shore  ...Bing or Goggle map it ...long access rd off Westwwod . I believe the locals "access " it from time to time so he may get a lil pressure .The contest I was at a local older gentleman was landing the largest crappies I've ever seen ..a lot of big fish were caught by others as well...but it was a very sloppy day 10in ice then 3 in of water.. then  3 in hard crust and 12 + inches of wet snow each step was quite different from the last ..and got worse as the day progressed... but some great prizes and raffles. Parking can get crowed at the launch ...but plenty of parking along the access rd .

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Chodikee has some nice bluegill jigging action, with yellow perch out in the middle, and lots of pickerel and bass on tip ups.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Been looking for some lakes that offer public access ....anyone ever fish Kiamesha lake off RT 42 in Monticello ...its my neck of the woods but I have no information good or bad ..not even about parking ...any interest in fishing this lake ?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I know a few guys who used to fish there a lot, they always said they did pretty well there. I don't think it's too heavily pressured.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2014, 07:02 PM »
when I fish glenmere I find the lot is plowed & easy access drop off gear & then park the car close by no prob,,,
images.jpeg

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #21 on: Jul 10, 2014, 03:19 AM »
Dewey thank you for the reply and info. on Glenmere lake.  I have been past Kiamesha lake a few times during the winter months. I believe there are a few small pull offs along the route 42 shore line. Personally never seen large numbers of people out ice fishing.
Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2014, 06:29 AM »
I have fished kiamesha lake & there are a few pull offs ,but it was steep over the bank where I went. I used to park down by the ice making co. & go out but they fenced in there property over the years  the gates were closed the last time I went a few years back… I always catch perch a lot of them but all small…  chodikee lake I have fished also with some good success sometimes there is a parking lot there & a nice walk out on the ice…
images.jpeg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2014, 07:08 AM »
Some lake suggestions meeting places  by county

Sullivan : Huntington ,Superior, Kiamesha  ...FD and local contests all through February
                               Orange :  Glenmere, Winding Hills Park,
                               Ulster :    Chodikee
                               Putnam :  White pond

I not all that familiar with any contests in Orange, Ulster or Putnam county  or any good ice fisheries/contests in Dutchess co .

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I've never fished White Pond but it looks pretty good...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2014, 02:44 AM »
Kb/Karl lives in either Putnam or Dutchess county and fishes White pond frequently with good results. White Pond also gives you the opportunity to catch a walleye. I believe some sportsman's group has held a contest in the Middletown area in years past. I will have to start doing a search on ice fishing contests in Orange ,Putnam and Dutchess counties .
Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2014, 09:35 AM »
The contest that I am familiar with in Middletown area is on a small lake with pre drilled holes ...ran across some fisherman last season that told me of a  ice fishing contest at a hunting club in Otisville area ..but I think that one is geared more towards kids and on a small private  lake/pond .... I'm still working on the pre season gathering ...my thoughts is still Gander Mtn in Middletown ...easy access and if someone comes a lil early they can kill some time at the store ...no keys to return no rental fees etc makes it much easier destination .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2014, 03:54 AM »
Hardwater diehard that sounds like the contest I've heard about believe you also got food with the admission fee. Given the details you have posted and the store's location by two major highways makes it sort of a no brainier to hold a preseason gathering there this year. Once Cabela's builds its' store we can inquire about their facilities.
Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jul 14, 2014, 07:04 AM »
 Mr Clean think I'm going to go with the first week in December for the preseason ice gathering(hinging upon the lodge availability)   ...the ice fishing fever pitch should be quite high... between the  holidays too.. hoping the weather is a lot better.. believe two members were not able to attend due to the weather ... it was slow going for me on the ride home .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #29 on: Jul 14, 2014, 03:58 PM »
The first major snow fall of the winter happening on the day of last years preseason gathering did keep number of attendees down. This will not affect all members but I believe firearm big game season (deer/bear) runs from mid November to mid December. So some people will be out hunting. No date will please everyone and as you said it also depends on when the lodge at Gander Mountain is available for our usage.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.