New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cranberry lake  (Read 13539 times)

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cranberry lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Either way, I'll be at the derby, I'll come say hi Kyle, I got a camp up on the tooley pond road

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Stop by definitely. Look for the shanty, we are 1 of 2 shanties on lake right now.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:22 PM »
I just wanted to clarify that I don't condone killing every pike in the lake. Just remanising on the good old trout days. Cranberry used to be one heck of a brookie lake. I caught the very tail end of the trout days as a kid and enjoyed it immensely. Like I said I am a die hard pike fisherman come winter. And I will enjoy fishing the tournament. I will be heading to camp Friday morning. If anyone wants to stop by and BS we should be there. Can't miss the camp. It's the only one on hedgehog mountain.

Offline racer25r

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • part of team long rod competative fishing team
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:43 PM »
How much snow is on the lake?
Team Long Rod

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Stop by definitely. Look for the shanty, we are 1 of 2 shanties on lake right now.

I was out there a few weekends ago and at that time there was a wooden shanty that had spudded out a live well with minnows in it.

I believe I saw your shanty last year, it has your name on it in big letters?

Offline Holmesy_1369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I was there today 5 northerns caught n quickly released one was a 37 inch 16
Pounder n the other 4 where in the 10 pound range,  I agree with making some regulations to keep it a trophy northern location in a town which let's face the fact with very little snow isn't even getting the snow machine business.  But that being said I live 10 minutes from the St. Lawerence but drive the hour to chase a 40 inch fish.  The snow was blowing hard into drifts on banks relatively no snow on ice.  The derby won't ruin the population the no limit on sizes n number kept will.  Catch n erase fish make it in the summer so why not in the winter all fish caught today swam away under there own power even better than some hard fought summer fish but IDK.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Ya my shanty has gray metal siding with my name on it with red spray paint....the shanty in the picture of the derby flyer with my buddies 27lber last yr. Not sure how much snow.....i'd imagine maybe 2-3 inches but problem best to use a wheeler if possible for transportation as theres not much snow for your slides.

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:31 PM »
I'll be heading up for the tourney next weekend for the first time. Real excited and definitely plan on taking good care to keep all pike alive for their release. I never keep pike anyway - but Oneida's perch and walleye are different story,

good luck everybody.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:51 PM »
looks like weather should be decent. looking like a local forecast of about 25 and mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Good luck everyone and i would not step foot on the ice unless you are 100% legal. Hopefully the bite picks up or it might be a change of fish weigh-ins.

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Aww, man i was considering heading up to the derby this weekend, but with so much law presence i will probably fish elsewhere...any suggestions on waters with big pike or lakers...
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:05 AM »
I wouldn't not come because of it at all. lol. I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Just be legal like normal and hopefully you might catch a few fish, possibly win some money.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Good luck everyone and i would not step foot on the ice unless you are 100% legal.

AGREED! Don't be surprised if you are checked multiple times (maybe even by the same officer). They are ruthless and will ticket you for the smallest of infractions. I still don't understand the necessity of such enforcement, but we won't be heading back this year.  ::)  Good luck to all those going for the tourney, you might get lucky and land the pike of a lifetime - there are some monsters in there!

Aww, man i was considering heading up to the derby this weekend, but with so much law presence i will probably fish elsewhere...any suggestions on waters with big pike or lakers...
Big Tupper Lake has some large Northerns in it, along with lakers and walleye - it's an awesome fishery! @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:03 PM »
thanks finders keepers for the info. :)
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Are they going to have certain areas on the lake blocked off?  I've heard this in the past.  And where are the weight stations located?
I can smell a perch a mile away...

Offline PolishPirates19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:31 PM »
I hope to make it up !

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:14 PM »
How many inches of ice thanks
Just enjoying life

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Ice was 13 inches Saturday in dead creek flow. I'm sure we will be up toward 16 now. As for boundaries they normally cone of the lake near the state boat launch which is in town and the north end of lake and they cone off brandy brook somewhere which is the east side of lake....

Weighing stations are usually located in 2 spots. One is right at the state campground beach and one is at Arnold's pt or right near joe Indian island

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Is brandy usually coned off past where the floating camps used to be?

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Word of caution to anyone going to this derby when you are heading off the ice be prepared to be checked by the dec....the  entrance/ exit by the beach had 6-8 dec and forest rangers standing there last time i fished the derby....a young kid behind us was coming off on a 3 wheeler and they had a good time with him....i know numerous people who will never attend this event again because of harrasment by officers.....how about a no helmet ticket for unloading your atv  or public urination ? Never seen a port a potty at a derby....have fun guys !
Budweiser pro staff

Offline racer25r

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • part of team long rod competative fishing team
« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:04 AM »
how much snow does Cranberry lake have on it?
Team Long Rod

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Is brandy usually coned off past where the floating camps used to be?

I dont exactly know but I would imagine that they cone it off before the floating camps just to be safe and cover themselves.

As far as law enforcement, be legal and you will be fine. I have never been harrassed, but im 100% legal, dont drink, dont be an idiot to them when they start asking questions, and dont ride double. Be smart and come to the derby and have a good time, weather is looking ok, ice is great, and hopefully some nice fish will be caught!

I am not 100% sure on snow, I haven't been on the ice since saturday, will be out Thursday so i can repost, but I'd imagine theres only about 3 inches of fluffy powder on top right now. I would recommend wheelers, but if your only choice is snowmobile I would think theres enough for your slides.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Thanks for updates Blackmer I'll prob be up by black duck hole are if so I'll try n swing by
Just enjoying life

Offline zlove2311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Any idea on side x sides?? Have been looking online all over but cant find anything...

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:30 PM »
out on lake today. 15 inches of solid clear ice. The lake has about 2-3 inches of snow on it, some spots have more some have less. I rode a snowmobile today and it was great. Also should be great for ATVS and Side By Sides. Good luck everyone

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:06 AM »
looks like were going to have some crappy weather, but maybe the fishing will be better than it is now. talking 23 degree, 2-4 inches of snow and high winds for Saturday. Tie down the shanties!!

Offline Team_long_rod

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team long rod
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:14 AM »
How's the derby going for everyone?
The fishing is always good and sometimes the catching is good too

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Just finished the walleye and was curious on if any legends were landed up there today?

Offline Gary Minckler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 26, 2014, 05:15 AM »
20.5, 43 " won it.  Many more from 12 - 17 entered.   And a 20 pounder was caught Friday.
Work is for people who don't fish!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Tournament was great I thought, besides the weather...but the woodstove made up for that part. ;). I was the guy who caught the 20lber friday actually. I will post a pic in a minute. I was out at the shanty hanging out getting some holes drilled and landed my first 20lber at 10:30 all alone. Brought it to the taxidermist to get mounted. The only fish I have ever kept out of the lake.

Anyways alot of people I know feared the harsh law enforcement, but that wasn't the case this year at all. I didnt even get checked for license or anything. Lets see some pics of the fish that were caught if anyone has any. It seemed like dead creek was very empty for 648 people. Heard the big 20.5 of derby day came from East side of lake?

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:03 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.