New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cranberry lake  (Read 13537 times)

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
Cranberry lake
« on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Anyone know how much ice is on cranberry lake? Looking to make a trip up soon.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cranberry lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Looking into entering the derby any idea how many people enter it? Lodging?
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:45 PM »
There are a lot of people that enter it.  You could stay in tupper lake motel its clean and inexpensive.  Then there is Cranberry lake lodge and the pack basket (Wanakena).  I have fished it once don't want to again, I find that lake frustrating. I have never lost so much terminal tackle on tip-ups ever. 

Offline Gary Minckler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:54 PM »
There will be hundreds of entrants, a fire hall full of food and door prizes, and a chance at a monster pike. Wouldn't miss it...but be prepared for law enforcement.(helmets, no riding double, rigid tow-bars, etc. etc.)
Work is for people who don't fish!

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Have only had poor experiences on Cranberry (poor ice/slush conditions, inconsiderate anglers, unfriendly and over-patrolling DEC/Forest Rangers), plus since they moved the date, we will be on Great Sacandaga Lake this year along with many other anglers. While there are some monster pike in there, all the other factors have steered us elsewhere. Good luck if you head there! @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:13 AM »
January 25th
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:26 AM »
My thoughts on cranberry lake having that derby is that they are ruining a natural resource. It's a trophy northern pike lake and they are going to have that derby until there is nothing left..... Just like they did to Meachum. I wish the DEC would see it for what it is and try to regulate it

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:34 AM »
It is a catch and release tourney, even the winning pike is released, so I don't see it having a huge impact on the pike numbers... Seems many of the ice fishing tourneys are going catch and release now, including the NYS IPA events, VBC Sportsman Derby, Great Scandaga Walleye Challenge, etc.  @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:56 AM »
There is more pressure on those pike during the open water season.  Eventually very few pike will be caught, the fishing pressure will drop off and the pike will come back or maybe not.

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:48 AM »
You think catch and release during ice fishing season has a good rate of survival?

I think that's a "feel good" attempt at justifying the harvest of hundreds of pike in an 8 hour day....

fordman

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:33 PM »
You think catch and release during ice fishing season has a good rate of survival?

I think that's a "feel good" attempt at justifying the harvest of hundreds of pike in an 8 hour day....
the whole  world is over populated.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:40 PM »

We had 100% success last year during the IPA events and I believe they only lost two fish during the Northern Challenge last year. Not sure about the percentage at Cranberry (the director is less than friendly) but C&R during the winter seems to be very successful.
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:59 PM »
My thoughts on cranberry lake having that derby is that they are ruining a natural resource. It's a trophy northern pike lake and they are going to have that derby until there is nothing left..... Just like they did to Meachum. I wish the DEC would see it for what it is and try to regulate it
The number of fish caught at that derby is minuscule compared to the population. The two times I have fished the derby there were only a couple "trophy" fish caught. Let's get the DEC in to harass innocent people fishing for a cause.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:06 PM »
i agree that that most fish C&R do survive and that the dec doesnt need to harass people fishing legally on the ice thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Anyone know how the ice is as of 12/28/13

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:19 PM »
The number of fish caught at that derby is minuscule compared to the population. The two times I have fished the derby there were only a couple "trophy" fish caught. Let's get the DEC in to harass innocent people fishing for a cause.

The DEC has ruined this derby. Why drive to Wanakena, Cranberry Lake to spend the day worrying that you might get a ticket for taking  a load off on the seat of your wheeler with out your helmet on.  Its just no fun, I'll stick to either derbies.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline SwedishPIMP69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:58 PM »
uh yea i was out on cranberry today 8 inches of black ice. Caught a couple bluegill and 2 pike. one was 26 inches and another was 28. good luck

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:10 PM »
The DEC has ruined this derby. Why drive to Wanakena, Cranberry Lake to spend the day worrying that you might get a ticket for taking  a load off on the seat of your wheeler with out your helmet on.  Its just no fun, I'll stick to either derbies.
Btw my last sentence was sarcasm...it's very hard to imply that on the internet.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:36 PM »
For anyone thats planning on staying at or getting Gas in Cranberry Lake at the Cranberry Lake Lodge---THEY ARE CLOSED! THEY HAVE SHUT DOWN THE ONLY GAS PUMP IN TOWN, BARRICADED THE BOAT RAMP WHERE WE USED TO ACCESS THE LAKE. No idea of why they closed but have heard rumours.The Town has opened a spot to get on and off the Lake so please respect what they have done.I saw this on the CLSC website and called another Business up there and they re-affirmed me that this was true. Good Luck.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:39 AM »

Agreed. There are many things that are unfortunate about this derby, and as a result we will not be returning to Cranberry...
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:50 PM »
uh yea i was out on cranberry today 8 inches of black ice. Caught a couple bluegill and 2 pike. one was 26 inches and another was 28. good luck

Niceeeee

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Just out of curiosity are there perch of any size in Cranberry lake?  I have seen nice bass and pike taken out of the lake.  I have caught tons of them but would need around 3 or 4 placed head to tail to measure up to a jack perch.   

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:20 PM »
Does anyone know if you can still access the lake when parking behind the community center? I'm staying at my camp on hedgehog for the derby. I haven't been up there in the winter in about ten years. We used to be able to access the lake by going down the IGA's driveway thru the camper park. Not sure if they still allow it or not since they also close during the winter.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Alrighty folks here we go.

Cranberry Lake Vol. Fire Dept Pike Derby Jan 25th 2014. Registration is at the firehall on rt.3 in cranberry. Registration opens at 4am. Everyone has to show to get their tags (2 tags). There is public access to the lake in town at the town beach (right next door to the Cranberry Lake lodge which is closed and barricaded.) Also access in Wanakena on the side of road near the Pinecone Restaurant.

Lake is glare ice right now with 12 solid inches of ice, and maybe 1 inch of powder snow. As far as I know the ice is good everywhere, maybe a few small pressure ridges running from Birch Island to Buck Island. There is gas in Star Lake or Tupper Lake. Lodging is probably booked already in Wanakena but try Tupper Lake or another surrounding area. The pike bite has been extremely slow in my opinion and according to others. Been out 12-15 times and had very little success. Caught one fish today from 7am to 430 pm. And only had one other flag. Seems to be the same from what others say also.

Derby should be great as always, with some nice fish caught I'm sure. Law enforcement will be around doing their jobs, whether some agree or disagree we need to leave that to them.

All fish are C&R (even if you catch a 45lber if you weigh it, it gets released) so they are doing their best to keep the pike population. What people need to be more worried about it people coming here and keeping all the breeder pike or keeping trophy pike 16lbs or more and eating them or taking them somewhere for Open Boundary Derbies. Thats what hurts the pike population in the long run, Which we are DEFINITELY seeing the effects of.

Good luck to all this weekend and come by and say hello. Permanent shanty off of Hawk's nest out in center of Dead Creek Flow. Gray metal siding, chimney pipe, and large plexi windows.

:tipup:

Kyle

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Unfortunately cranberry is going to be  dead pike lake in a few years. And it has everything to do with this derby...

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:07 PM »
I chase pike exclusively all winter long. With that said, I really miss catching 4 plus pound brookies on cranberry lake. I have a few on my wall from years gone by. My family has owned a camp on the lake since the early 40s. Pike have been in the lake for years, but they were mainly down in dead creek flow. Now that they have expanded their range the trout are almost non existant. I would not be sad to see the pike and bass be thinned out if the trout would come back. Just my opinion.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:32 PM »
I see a 17 plus came out of there today for Chaumont  tournament
Just enjoying life

Offline kmonthony

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Thanks For The Info, I like fishing there in the summer. never been in the winter.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2014, 02:44 PM »
No problem everyone. Feel free to ask me anything. Yes there was a nice 18lber caught...I saw it. Pike will always be in the lake and trout will never be populated... Those times are long gone. Now there are trophy pike in the lake which brings people to our area and helps the economy therefore we want to keep these trophy pike for as long as possible to help our towns businesses out. No one should want to kill the pike for sake of a trout fishery because they're just wasting time and killing fish for no reason. If looking for trout fish streams or rivers or the trout ponds up the lake. That's my opinion.

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:18 PM »
^^^ I agree Kyle, and anyone that has studied brook trout habitat would realize cranberry lake is not an ideal fishery for them anyways, it is much better for northerns, and you will never remove the northerns

With that said, I hope the fire department doesn't take the fishery for granted as a fundraiser and destroy it. The weigh in stations should be every 100-200 yards apart.

I don't care what anyone says...if you catch a pike, remove the hook, snap pictures, then stick it's head in a bucket and drive it across a lake at 30mph hours and then weigh it, that fish is going to DIE. It doesn't matter if it swims around in their "live well" for an hour. That fish is going to die lol.

I get a kick out of the guys who run derbies and say "we have about a 97% survival rate"

You can leave a fish on the ice for an hour if it's 36 degrees and it will still be flipping around or possible swim away. That doesn't mean it's going to live. The only way you can actually give a percentage I survival rate after the abuse fish take at a derby would be to tag the fish weighed and see if they are caught again. I think you'd see you have less then a 20% chance of survival.

If anyone disagrees, you can research the studies biologists have done on brook trout, and Muskies which are caught and released. Now, I know pike are more hardier then a trout, but they aren't tougher then a musky and no fish is going to surive a 30mph ride across a lake on a snowmobile or four wheeler in freezing conditions. Keep a fish out of the water for over 10-15 minutes (I'd say they are actually out for longer the this on average) and then you try to stick yor wives cat under water in the toilet for just 5 minutes, and see if it survives

And furthermore, sticking a 10lb pike vertically  in a bucket is making an awful bold statement it is still properly getting the circulation it needs to surive lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.