New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: whats the Best panfish jigging rods to get ( brands )  (Read 11042 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: whats the Best panfish jigging rods to get ( brands )
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Thorne Brothers are the best there is....

Offline yukonstu1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:41 PM »
yes great rods

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Another vote for jason mitchell meatsticks, I used to use st. croix with their spring bobber. You hook up a lot better with a meatstick, they load up super quick to a great backbone.
Pig
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline JC4me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Another vote for the Ice Blues...love em,and no need for a spring bobber either,they are super sensitive. IMHO
 :icefish:
"It is better to have fished and lost...than never to have fished at all."

adam2000

« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Thorne Brothers are the best there is....

yeah if you wanna pay 80 bucks for a rod to catch bluegills, i have a st croix 24" ul nice rod, also have 27" southbend thin ice rods L, that are very sensative

Offline FishinHank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep Fish,  It does a body good
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:10 PM »
ice blues are the bomb, I have one of the older ones. Never had a problem with it. I wouldnt hesitate to get a new one either. I have never seen one of these rods break, and I have landed lakers with mine. I have the 30" model.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:22 PM »
st.croix UL

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:27 PM »
H the st. Croix is sweet.i went on a horrible rod breaking trend last year after using the same rod since 94. I broke 7 rods last yr.blame it on being 43 old new father with insomniac son. I went with the ht NOODLE action rods. Great on lake george. 45fow and no spring bobber or vex.just used 1 pound test.I broke a bunch but they were 10 a piece but went reallt fast from dicks and gander.I will get a new st croix though if I can ever sleep again and take care or my stuff
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:08 PM »
H.T. ice blues 18 in,30 bucks gets it done with a decent reel. I love mine,dont need a spring on it. Very sensitive. Good for hole hopping.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:10 PM »
yeah if you wanna pay 80 bucks for a rod to catch bluegills, i have a st croix 24" ul nice rod, also have 27" southbend thin ice rods L, that are very sensative

My guess is anyone who has spent that on one will never say they wish they hadn't. I love my TB ice rods and my openwater customs from them.

Offline newincudahy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Failure to prepare is prepairing to fail.
« Reply #40 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:15 PM »
St. Croix legend ul
Fish Now! Cuz you'll be dead a long time.

Offline ny legend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Another vote for the H.T Ice Blues
Born 2 Fish

Offline Reel Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:33 PM »
    "It's easier to ask for forgiveness, then ask for permission"

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 30, 2010, 12:29 AM »
THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS THE BEST ROD FOR ANYTHING  !!!
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline 4chevys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:02 PM »
The HT Ice Blues are the best bang for the buck

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #45 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Another vote HT Ice Blues !!!!
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:36 AM »
THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS THE BEST ROD FOR ANYTHING  !!!
A nice variety of Yad rods will do just fine. Someone, I can't remember who....told me about Yad rods many years ago. If I could remember who....I'd thank him. ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bobby78_2003

• IceShanty Rookie
  • home is where your rod is
« Reply #47 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:23 AM »
I like the ice bears I cant find them anymore it make a 6 inch bluegill look big. but the ht's are good for those who wants a nice rod and cheap it does as good as the high price ones do
home is where your rod is

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:35 AM »
A ice variety of Yad rods will do just fine. Someone, I can't remember who....told me about Yad rods many years ago. If I could remember who....I'd thank him. ;D

RG
You may be old and semi decrepit but your memory isn't that bad.......yet but ..Your Welcome ! ;D ;D ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:57 AM »
a trapper  tied  36 inch  micro lite bream  rod  with a  3  inch spool  loaded  with  2  lb  golden  strean .........  simply  the  most  effective  ice  weapon  ever  made   ;D

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #50 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:03 AM »
My choices are YAD, Austin custom, older Cabela's 18", Thorne bros and lastly Jason Mitchell.
packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:21 AM »
 Any rod with someones name on it it usually over  hyped and over priced.    Most come from the same Chinese factories that manufacture just about every store bought ice rod on the market !
  YAD makes the "majority" of glass and carbon blanks that all other rod manufactures use in their rods  ;)
The same solid carbon blank that you can buy for $2.00 or less from YAD is sold buy name brand companies for $15.00 and up  :cookoo:
  Those same $2.00 blanks (and even less if bought in big numbers) are the same blanks used in some of these $30 to $60 ice rods we see for sale across the country !
  I don't begrudge anyone from making a buck but What the heck are people thinking with the prices of these rods ! :cookoo:
If they want the sport to grow, keep it reasonable !    We don't need any more elitists on the ice than we already have ! ;D ;D
  If you feel that having a name on an ice rod makes them that much better, buy a YAD rod or an HT Ice Blue and put your own name on them !   Much more rewarding in the long run ! ;)

Offline oneidawalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Unfortunately most solid graphite rod blanks for ice fishing cost a lot more than $2.00 each whether you are having them made in the US or in China. Thorne Brothers uses Lynco Grinding Company, a designer of steel mandrells (tapered steel shafts that graphite cloth is wrapped around) for some of the major U.S rod manufacturerers including Sage, Loomis, as well as St Croix. Most of the solid graphite blanks in the U.S will cost a rod mfg betweeen 6 to 14 dollars each. I had quotes done for me with two China Mfgs of solid graphite (carbon) ice blanks and they ranged in price from $6.50 to $9.50 per blanks based on a 500 piece minimum of one style. That also does not include duty and tariffs, overseas shipping charges as well as 10% FET that is added to a completed ice rod once you add other components to the rod blanks.

Remember these rod mfgs are in business to make a living just like anyone else in a trade or professional job. The only way you might be able to get something very reasonable such as a YAD rod is to have them manufactured in China or Taiwan. You can go on the Alibaba sight and find out that many of their minimum pieces for built  ice rods usually are between 250 to 1,000 pcs on one style to even get close to what a YAD ice rod costs being brought into the US. HT, South Bend, and other companies are having rods made by the 10,000 or more to be able to retail one at $9.99 - $14.99. Not realistic if you are a small mfg or tackle shop to invest in.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:53 PM »
for cheap panfish rods that are really sensitive the ice blues are good.  St. croixs are not that great b/c the tip is not sensitive and you will never see the bite on these rods unless you get a spring bobber.

I use a thorne Bros power noodle now and it's sweet and you can see any kind of bite on the tip easily.  For most peoples fishing the ice blues are fine, if you like me and like to buy a nice rod get a thorne bros power noodle

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:05 PM »
ice blues are nice. Fast tips on them. I started using dave genz 16" ultralight combos. u can get 3 combos on ebay for $49. Comes with a zapper to charge the glow on your jigs. probably will stick with my ice blues for perch though.

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #55 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Thorne bros sweet pea for panfish, perch has great sensitivity and comfortable to use all day! Worth the price!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Jan 01, 2011, 05:46 AM »
Like anything, you an pay as little or as much as you like for your stuff. $50 for an ice rod  is a rip off.  I've looked at the Thorne rods. They can't even get the eyes on straight. I have a dozen Yad rods, not the cheapie foam handled ones, the better ones. IRG 24, IRC 24, IR 24. I've paid less than $6 and up to $20 for them. They are at least as good a quality as the rip off rods. They fish well, have quality cork handles and very consistent sensitivity. 

I don't care which mandrel they used to roll those blanks. If they can't put a rod together, it doesn't matter. St Croix is no different. I tried to buy an upscale fly rod last year. I looked at rods in the $175 - $350 range from several manufacturers.....JUNK!

The eyes weren't straight, the blanks weren't spined properly...poor workmanship....period. I went so far as to order a VERY high end blank from a manufacturer (which will remain nameless). A $350 blank that had a 2" whale in it's length.....back it went.

In the end, just buy what you like.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #57 on: Jan 01, 2011, 05:51 AM »
The fish don't care what rod you use...
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline gpn50

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get out of the chair!!!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Dave Gentz 23 inch ultralight and/or storm 24 inch ultralight with 3 lb test cajun red.....killer rig IMO

Offline oneidawalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:28 AM »
I agree with you RG that YAD is probably one of the best consistently manufactured ice rods on the market, especially the ones with the cork handles. It is sad when a manufacture puts together an ice rod with high end components and demands a high price and has poor workmanship to go along with it. After the fly fishing movie The River Runs Through It came out, you saw so many fly rod mfgs with so many high end rods. It is still sad to see price tags of $600.00 to $700.00 on the high end fly rods when the cost into those components do not really justify the retail cost. Also the quality of high end fly rods as well as the high end ice rods that have entered the market in the past few years has gone down. Not like the old days. So as you say, people should buy what they like, not base it on price or hype.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.