New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: weight of frozen fish vs un frozen?  (Read 16824 times)

Offline gaffer

• Team IceShanty Regular
weight of frozen fish vs un frozen?
« on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:23 AM »
    does it effect the overall weight one way or the other?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: weight of frozen fish vs un frozen?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:28 AM »
It doesn't really affect the weight but it does affect the length of the fish as they tend to shrink when frozen.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline gaffer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:37 AM »
thanks for the info,we got a 31 1/2 laker yesterday,8 1/2 pounder.frozen by the time we could weigh it.buying the cord for digital to computer so i can post some pics.guys next to us got a 29 1/2'' brown on otsego!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:44 AM »
It doesn't really affect the weight but it does affect the length of the fish as they tend to shrink when frozen.

I agree. Seems like the longer the fish, the more its affected also.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:59 PM »
frozen fish ways less. had this debate with a buddy the other day on the ice. he called his mother who teaches physics at a local college. i cant give you the exact details but somethng about water crystals exploding or something that makes them weigh less. take a cup of water and wiegh it. then freeze it and weigh it agian.

Offline year-round-fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:23 PM »
If your in a derby or tourny and you are allowed to weigh in frozen fish do it a fast as you can. The only way a fish could lose weight is by sweating (the slime) and also some times caughing up some food from earlier. If the derby or tourny is by length yeah don't let it freeze. It will shrink because of the cold their muscles tense up and also rigamorgus will set in. Make sure you stretch out your dead fish before you head in for the finnal measurement.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:16 PM »
frozen fish ways less. had this debate with a buddy the other day on the ice. he called his mother who teaches physics at a local college. i cant give you the exact details but somethng about water crystals exploding or something that makes them weigh less. take a cup of water and wiegh it. then freeze it and weigh it agian.

Has to do with water I guess. Water is the only liquid whose molecules weight less as they get close to freezing (actually start weighing less at 39.2 F). This is why (lucky for the fish and ice fisherman!!) ponds freeze from the top down rather than the bottom up. You'd think someone had a master plan there, ehhh????     Cya.....

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:15 PM »

Please post the college where she teaches so I can be sure my grandkids cross that one off their list.

"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Please post the college where she teaches so I can be sure my grandkids cross that one off their list.

Exactly what I was thinking.  :whistle:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish, fish to live!! Flag Man!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Has to do with water I guess. Water is the only liquid whose molecules weight less as they get close to freezing (actually start weighing less at 39.2 F). This is why (lucky for the fish and ice fisherman!!) ponds freeze from the top down rather than the bottom up. You'd think someone had a master plan there, ehhh????     Cya.....
Water has it's greatest density at 39.2 F and begins to sink, it doesn't start weighing less, ice is less dense than liquid water at any temperature that mother nature can produce, so it floats. In a lab supercooled water can stay liquid well below 32 degrees F. Learned this in a college chemistry class.
In these tough times remember the ones who taught you your skills, give them some of your prize!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Water has it's greatest density at 39.2 F and begins to sink, it doesn't start weighing less, ice is less dense than liquid water at any temperature that mother nature can produce, so it floats. In a lab supercooled water can stay liquid well below 32 degrees F. Learned this in a college chemistry class.

You are correct-heaviest at 39.2 and then it starts weighing less as it gets colder "floating" to the surface to freeze. Think we are saying about the same thing.  Cya.....

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:41 AM »
the water doesnt weigh less as it freezes its less dense so the same amount of water will take up more space thats why it expands the weight of 1 molecule of water is constant its the number of molecules in a given space that changes with temp. 
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:45 AM »
also take in mind sometimes when a fish freezes you wont be able to lay him out to his maximum potential because he might be frozen in an akward position.

Offline sgarri7777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:10 AM »
If you can freeze something and change its weight you may be in the running for a nobel prize in Physics.

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:14 AM »
only way a fish would weigh less when it was frozen if it popped like a frozen beer can. never seen a fish pop yet and ive cut alot of frozen fish
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline Tunachaser75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:20 PM »
Why does ice float?

Offline sgarri7777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Because it is less dense.

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:29 PM »

The structure of frozen water moleculesWhen water is frozen, the molecules are forced to pack in very tightly to each other, eliminating as much space between them as possible. Ice may look and feel solid enough, but it's actually made up of a lot of empty spaces. The triangular shape of ice's molecules keeps them apart and creates a tightly knit latticework instead of a dense solid structure. When water is frozen, it actually decreases in density and increases in volume, which makes it much lighter than its liquid form.
So it's water's unique molecular shape that allows ice to be lighter than water and float.

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:34 PM »
The term "lighter" is confusing here. A pound of water will still freeze into a pound of ice. However, the the pound of ice is less dense than the pound of water, so it floats. This gives the impression that a pound of ice is lighter than a pound of water.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:26 PM »
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it still make a sound  ??? ???

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:29 PM »
You are correct-heaviest at 39.2 and then it starts weighing less as it gets colder "floating" to the surface to freeze. Think we are saying about the same thing.  Cya.....
Weight and density are not the same thing.  Take a cup of water and it will weigh the same regardless of it being frozen or not.  However, the cup of liquid water will require LESS space than the frozen cup of water, due to density.  The molecules spread out, allowing ice to float, becuase the density of the liquid water is such that it can support the weight.

But it WEIGHS the same.  Remember, the WEIGHT of an object starts with at the atomic level, and one oxygen atom and two hyrdogren atoms weigh what they weigh, regardless of matter state they are in.
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:22 PM »

your  mother is  wrong  and  right!    a  exact  cup  of  water  when frozen  expands  thats  why it  wieghs  les  and ice floats !  take  a  fish  freeze  him  he  weighs the  same   and  if  she teaches  physics  she  sould  have  explained   frozen water  expands !   but  weighs  the  same just bigger  volume   this  is  why  if you  freeze  a  soda  it  explodes

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:37 PM »
philosophical question if the fish farts before it freezes does it make a difference.
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:05 PM »
theres somethine i forgot to mention here. when my buddy called his mother he was doing it to settle a bet. we had to bring the fish to our gun clun to weigh it in for a big fish contest. he said it was going to wiegh less because it was frozen i said it wouldnt. he told me "what his mom said". i didnt hear it for my self. sob probibly fudged he explenation for the sace of the bet. if so im getting my drink back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.