New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Perch eyes for bait  (Read 13904 times)

Offline justwentfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch eyes for bait
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:10 PM »
Just getting back into hardwater fishing and on ice the other day a partner told me that perch eyes are not legal.  News to me. What is the regulation for NY state

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perch eyes for bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Doesn't say anywhere in NYS regs that you can't use fish eyes for bait. Totally 100%  LEGAL !!! You can use perch for bait, why not their eyes ??? :thumbsup:
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline Fishinkidd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I don't know the NYS regulation but we use to pop an eye out of the first perch we caught too throw on our jig, we even went as far as filling a pill bottle with eyes for the next trip to Lake George....I can't see that being illegal, but these days, ya never know~!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:17 PM »
It's perfectly legal! If it's not, I break the law every time I go perch fishing.

Ask the DEC if you're in doubt.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bigdip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any beer down there?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:21 PM »
if you pull an eye out of a perch you have to include that perch in your possesion limit.

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:48 PM »
same here if thats a illegal im in trouble cause i use eyes every chance i can

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:54 PM »
I'm pretty much a jig fisherman for perch. Been using eyes for over 30 years now. DEC has checked me numerous times since this new bait law went into effect. Every time they ask what I'm using for bait I show them, never had a ticket. I almost always have a vile of eyes with me.

Offline gregod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I almost always have a vile of eyes with me.

how do you store your eyes?

Offline brewsta3224

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:13 PM »
It seems like I saw somewhere on a NYSDEC post on one of their websites on ice conditions and ice fishing, detailing the use of them as a recommendation... I just dont remember where I saw it. I thought it was odd when I did, and use them myself.
Fishing and Catching, sometimes, are two completely different sports!

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Nice little white belly strip makes a pretty good bait for just about anything also.  Man, between the age of my bait, my snowmobile, and now perch eyes, I'm going to have to keep a lawyer on the payroll all season!  Just kidding....
No it is not illegal to use perch eyes for bait.  The fish are yours to do with as you see fit.
Next hunting season, see if you can get hold of some tarsal glands from a buck or doe estrus urine.  The DEC allows us to use these as attractants with no issue.  That's certainly no more unethical or unsportsmanlike than popping perch eyes. Good question though.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:20 AM »
I think that you are only allowed to use eyes of the fish you intend to keep and count in your  limit  it would not be right to poke out an eye and toss them back  even though  a blind fish would probably swim around in circles and draw in more fish
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline jackfrost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:38 AM »
I was ice fishing in Minnesota last year and I was going to pop out a perch eye and my friend who I was with that lives in Minnesota told me it was against the law. So, I looked it up in the Minnesota reg book and it was true.
Not aware of it being illegal in other state other than Minnesota.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Do it all the time and I save them as well....Don't like to waste useful things.  Been checked by the DEC and never any problems
;

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Let me add to the orig question .... do you notice the eyes work better than maggots/spikes/mousies ??  Just curious ?
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Ok, let me add a question. With our lovely laws regarding the transportation of baitfish from one body of water to another........ How do you guys get away with transporting perch eyes with you as bait.
Just want to make sure before I keep some for next time out.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:30 AM »
they stay on hook longer and its free bait. use them all of the time fishing for perch. the blue gill dont seem to like them as much as the perch.
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:57 AM »
ALSO-----taking it a step further...is it just perch eyes (why)??  Do you also use bluegill, bass, crappie etc etc eyes??

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:34 PM »
I believe it is perfectly fine to use a perch eye because perch are not considered a game fish. There is no season or size limit. Once there is a size limit and a creel limit then I believe that they are considered gamefish. For example, I believe it is against the law to use a walleye eye for bait.

I have never seen the actual regulation though, this is just what I have been told.

I will try to find the actual regulation on the DEC website.

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Perch eyes can be deadly on perch, not so much crappie/"gills". Finicky fish don't take them as much it seems but they do work. I like spikes better though, its hard to get an eyeball on a tiny tiny jig when they're being finicky, pretty much pointless to use in that situation.

You CAN use them legally, but CANNOT transport the eyes from one lake to fish with at another lake.... correct me if i'm wrong

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:46 PM »
troutaddict33 is correct.

According to the DEC website you can use ANY part of ANY fish as long as you use it on the same body of water where it was cuaght.

Here is how it reads:

Any fish, or parts thereof, legally taken on a water body of the State may be possessed and used as bait on that same water body, in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (f) of section 10.1 of Part 10 of this Chapter, except as otherwise prohibited by section 10.6 of Part 10 of this Chapter or any other provision of law or regulation.

Here is where I found it:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4021.html

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:41 PM »
How do you get the eyes out efficiently?
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:04 PM »

they make eyeball remover tools. i have some old ones that used to be my dad's. A bent piece of wire under a stick basically. Or I just use my thumb

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Is there anything you can put eyes in to preserve them  ??

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:29 PM »

Push down in the corner of eye and then slide towards top of head and it will pop out easily.  Takes a few to get the hang of it.

Offline tobykoko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:42 PM »
   Paper clips are the perfect tool.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline walleyehunter01

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/Ice
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:23 PM »
troutaddict33 is correct.

According to the DEC website you can use ANY part of ANY fish as long as you use it on the same body of water where it was cuaght.

Here is how it reads:

Any fish, or parts thereof, legally taken on a water body of the State may be possessed and used as bait on that same water body, in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (f) of section 10.1 of Part 10 of this Chapter, except as otherwise prohibited by section 10.6 of Part 10 of this Chapter or any other provision of law or regulation.

Here is where I found it:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4021.html

i believe there was a post on here about using perch eggs for chum and they said it was illegal.but you are saying it is legall ??? ???

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:45 AM »
   Paper clips are the perfect tool.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They work great and I store them in a bait puck in the freezer & in a freezer bag when the puck gets full.  I think for perch the eyes work awesome from bait, I think more so than spikes and the dinks don't seem to hit them as much.
;

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:18 AM »
i believe there was a post on here about using perch eggs for chum and they said it was illegal.but you are saying it is legall ??? ???

There not Chumming with them or throwing hundreds in the water,just using 1 on a hook or jig as bait.

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:19 AM »
I run the bend in a circle hook under the eye and lift.

Offline Instantperception

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Ok, let me add a question. With our lovely laws regarding the transportation of baitfish from one body of water to another........ How do you guys get away with transporting perch eyes with you as bait.
Just want to make sure before I keep some for next time out.

I had the same question and contacted my local DEC office and got this response.............

"I spoke with law enforcement about your question and the following is their response:

No, it is not legal to use fish eyes for bait except in the same water body where taken for the following reason.  NYCRR 19.3 makes it a violation to use fish as bait except as provided in 19.2.  Therefore one must reference 19.2(c) and 19.2(d).  19.2(c) makes it legal to use fish parts as bait on the same water body where the fish was taken. 19.2(d) makes it legal to use fish parts (other than eggs) IF they are commercially packaged and prepared by a method other than freezing.  So....... it is illegal to use fish eyes as bait except on the same water body. (Unless the fish eyes have been commercially packaged, and I don't know of any commercially packaged fish eyes.)"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.