New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sacandaga Walleye  (Read 11562 times)

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sacandaga Walleye
« on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:25 AM »
just curious if anyone has been catching any walleyes.  we have been fishing Northampton, off Driftwood, down near the Mayfield bridge, not one walleye.  bunch of perch at Northampton, but we can't seem to locate the eyes.  not lookin for anyone's honeyhole, just curious if the walleyes are that slow this year.  even other fisherman we have talked to haven't had hardly any luck if any.  i hope the action picks up for the Walleye Challenge.  it might be more of a "challenge" than we thought.   :tipup:
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sacandaga Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:48 AM »
best bet would be to try the deep water holes if you can find them. ::)

Offline sw500owner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:20 PM »
Walleye's were hitting slow last weekend. Some friends and I were out 2 day's last weekend, only managed 2 walleye's. 1 was almost 4 lbs., the other was 1.5 lbs. They were both caught by Northampton.

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:35 AM »
i'll have to do some searching in the next couple of weeks before the Chanllenge.  and if we can't find any walleyes, maybe i'll drive around the lake selling beer :woot:

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Sacandaga Reservoir is a large body of water, and fish are only in certain areas.  To look at the lake as a whole can be daunting.  It's best to just take a segment of the lake and learn it.  I know I fished it numerous times blindly with mediocre results.  Finally an old timer let me in on some "secret spots".  But until then, it took me a long time and I put in a lot of hours as many people have done and do on the "Dead Sea".  With the fluctuations in lake water levels, the ice conditions scare me a bit though on Sacandaga, unless someone can prove to me otherwise, so will probably sit out the contest.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Sacandaga Reservoir is a large body of water, and fish are only in certain areas.  To look at the lake as a whole can be daunting.  It's best to just take a segment of the lake and learn it.  I know I fished it numerous times blindly with mediocre results.  Finally an old timer let me in on some "secret spots".  But until then, it took me a long time and I put in a lot of hours as many people have done and do on the "Dead Sea".  With the fluctuations in lake water levels, the ice conditions scare me a bit though on Sacandaga, unless someone can prove to me otherwise, so will probably sit out the contest.
Hey Fishing Pole, seeing that you are sittin this one out, how about sharing those "secret spots" with me. I'll be out there looking for the eyes.

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2010, 02:48 PM »
booker, we have been fishing in "secret spots".  they are such a secret the fish don't even know about em. :pinch:

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2010, 02:54 PM »
Fished all weekend and no eyes either. The only thing we managed was one perch and two smallies

Offline fishin365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:27 PM »
I'm heading up there 1st wknd. in Feb.About 1.5m past the b'ville bridge on southshore. Buddy has a camp. Does anyone know the area,it's only my 2nd time there. I know theres a large cove in thew vicinity,probably start there. Not really keying on specific species,just for fun. Hope the ice is ok,little concerned about that comment about ice not too predictable on Sac. Any comments,or considerations would be appreciated. I still twitch once in a while when it's "Makin' ice" O.K.,I said it!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:15 PM »
There are 1500 guys and $45,000 that say there are walleyes in there, I am going up this friday and sat with a camera Im going to find them suckas. and never fished there ,but a walleye does the same thing in every lake,find structure,wholes you will find walleyes. now getting them to bite is a differant story

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:22 PM »
  now getting them to bite is a differant story
that seems to everone's issue this year.  i have never seen or heard of it being this slow.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I will be up there this weekend bouncing bait on there heads,I will let you know how we did

Offline hindes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:35 PM »
fished all day sunday,caught 1 eye 16.5'',2 pike one 26'' and 17''.had 4 other flags with no bait left,eyes are slow fishing in a hole 11' and goes to 19.5'.i wounder how much more water you gonna find than 20'.

Offline walleymaster96

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:44 PM »
fished all day sunday,caught 1 eye 16.5'',2 pike one 26'' and 17''.had 4 other flags with no bait left,eyes are slow fishing in a hole 11' and goes to 19.5'.i wounder how much more water you gonna find than 20'.
i heard they are going to drop the lake 2'' a day starting either last week or soon

Offline hindes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:24 PM »
they must hae started because two sundays ago i had 21' of water now i have 19.5' this sunday

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:32 AM »
lower the water, maybe we'll find some walleyes :clap:

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:29 PM »
heading back out tomorrow.  i'll give an update.  hopefully it's a good one.  :tipup:

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:11 AM »
we fished friday from 3pm to 7pm caught two walleyes in 12' of water,back out sat morning at 7am no flags till 10am one 30" pike.Not bad for two guys that never fished that lake.I think the key is to fish deep 20'+ daylight,just before sunset fish 12'-. guys that caught walleyes during the day were fishing in deep water. I have to say all the guys I talked to were very nice about sharing info. did they give up a favoriet spot, you could say yes, why would they be fishing in a bad spot. its all about structure,find and you will find eyes. Now I can not wait for The WALLEYE derby in two weeks :tipup:

Offline Jperry4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:42 AM »
When is the tourney on the sacandaga?
Perry

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2010, 03:58 PM »
jan 30 2010 7am to 3pm

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:55 PM »
5 of us fished the Sacandaga again today. This time down by Kenyon Islands. 1 pike about 22-24". No other fish or flags.

Offline sacandaga sucker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:44 PM »
 hey everybody im new to this iceshanty, i fell in love with it,   i fished 4 days this week on the great dead sea..   i did manage to catch atleast 1 or 2 walleye everyday... i think the key is morning and evening were getting flags 12 to 15 foot of water.. during the day go deep...  kind of the norm for walleye but thats how its been for me.. were also gettin a few small pike hits.. and manged to jig up a few perch..but the is the norm for this lake for this time of year

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Welcome to the site Sacandaga Sucker! Great first post :D

I just arrived  home from Florida this morning about 5am and I am dying to hit the ice. Headed out from Northampton bright and squirrely tomorrow to do some scouting for next weekends camp-out.

How much more can they drain that lake? Wow is all I can say. We camped out a couple weekends ago and the lake was already LOW. This should help catch a few more fish this winter (less water, more fishies packed in smaller place) but it could do damage to next years fishing or the year after that etc.

What do you all think?

Anyone chat with the Hudson/Black River boys to get the real scoop on the lake levels dropping?

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:58 PM »
that ones full though isnt it.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:09 AM »
they say it has been dropping 2"a day, I agree with fishing walleyes during the day you must fish deep :tipup:

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:37 AM »
the tourny on the 30th has been filled for a long time now.  if you don't register early for this one you're definitely gonna miss out.  good luck to all who got in.  i'll be out there  :tipup:

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Welcome to the site Sacandaga Sucker! Great first post :D

I just arrived  home from Florida this morning about 5am and I am dying to hit the ice. Headed out from Northampton bright and squirrely tomorrow to do some scouting for next weekends camp-out.

How much more can they drain that lake? Wow is all I can say. We camped out a couple weekends ago and the lake was already LOW. This should help catch a few more fish this winter (less water, more fishies packed in smaller place) but it could do damage to next years fishing or the year after that etc.

What do you all think?

Anyone chat with the Hudson/Black River boys to get the real scoop on the lake levels dropping?
I grew up around the Sacandaga. The lake level is normal. This is what they do every year.  So if you don't know the lake it might seem odd. That is why there are always snowmobile accidents (another one last night) on the lake. With it dropping it creates ice heaves that people not familiar with the lake smash into or it sends them airborne. So the area that you fish in Dec. might be a few feet less water when you fish the same spot in Mar.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Booker, I also have lived here my entire life, half of it in Northville... I would say I have spent 100's and 100's of hours on the dead sea. I know the lake pretty well myself.
I know they draw the lake down every year.. I am not a moron. I have not however seen it dropped
so quickly in some years. A few less feet?????  We are talking more than a couple feet ;)

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Tried a few sandbars that are know out of the water that are close to fairly deeper water (15-20ft.),did pretty well on the eyes,had a couple bonus pike also,started close to the bar 6' of water then strung the line out to the deeper & did pretty well....South end of lake

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Booker, I also have lived here my entire life, half of it in Northville... I would say I have spent 100's and 100's of hours on the dead sea. I know the lake pretty well myself.
I know they draw the lake down every year.. I am not a moron. I have not however seen it dropped
so quickly in some years. A few less feet?????  We are talking more than a couple feet ;)
Coldbum,  Have a bad nite?  You need to chill. I don't know where you are from. I was just trying to give some info for those not familiar with the Sacandaga.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.