Author Topic: big gills just looking at my jig?!?!?!  (Read 3961 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
big gills just looking at my jig?!?!?!
« on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Was able to sight fish in the clam today and had quite a few big gills swim in, stare at my jig from about 2" away from it. What gives? If i left it dead stick they would swim away, if i lightly jigged they would swim away. Using a red gill pill and a single spike. I did manage to come home with 4 decent gills that inhaled this setup, but those big ones had me stumped! Any ideas?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: big gills just looking at my jig?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:18 AM »
were you on honeoye?     man they can be tough over there :o    try some waxies or mousies if you can find them.   also sometimes those bulls really like plastics ;)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Nope just a local pond. Honeoye might be next weekend. All i had was spikes and mealworms with me today. And plastics i tried a bunch but no go. Im gonna check the stomachs of the ones i brought home and see what they are eating.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:24 PM »
When in doubt, smaller and darker with plastics. Sounds like the strange times where a #3mm or even #2.5mm Wolfram on 1#. or less, line is the ticket. Jig + Plastic OAL of 1/4", 3/8" - 1/2" MAX. They're curious, not overly hungry but will munch if offered, maybe.  Hate the situation but it happens more often than most think. Other option, quit and go home

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Never quit! Im gonna take that advice when i go tomorow! Hoping i can come home with a few more

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Make sure the tip of your hook isn't showing. They wont touch a bait on some lakes i fish when it's showing. When i see them come up to my bait on my electronics, and back away, i know my hook is showing so i pull up and make sure it's covered.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Ive gotta go through my  plastics selection tonite. Figure out small but with some movement. Ill see what i have as far as the hook tip goes...right now im thinking the berkley atomic fry in 1/80th is the smallest i have

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2014, 12:30 PM »
I had a similar problem where I was on Saturday, watched them on the camera come up and stare then swim off. Ended up downsizing to a #12 gill pill that was green and got more action. Orignally was trying orage/chart teardrops and #10 ratsos.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Using a red gill pill and a single spike.

there's your problem.   You need to switch up and experiment, find a combo that gets the fish biting.  Change color, jig size, jig style.  Try 3 grubs maybe.  Also, like others have said, plastic tails help alot, especially with big bluegills. I always have 2 or 3 styles and colors with me to experiment with. 

also, try different jigging cadences.   For finnicky fish, i love 'pumping' the rod.

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Change it up Change it up Change it up Till it works
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:31 PM »
there's your problem.   You need to switch up and experiment, find a combo that gets the fish biting.  Change color, jig size, jig style.  Try 3 grubs maybe.  Also, like others have said, plastic tails help alot, especially with big bluegills. I always have 2 or 3 styles and colors with me to experiment with. 

also, try different jigging cadences.   For finnicky fish, i love 'pumping' the rod.

Caught some more today on the red gill pill, as well as firetiger. Single or two spikes, berkely atomic fishfry(smallest one you can get) seemed to work the best. Tried some makis, spaghetti ball legs, j&s mites....tried them all and just lookers. Tried all different cadences but what worked the best was lightly moving the spring bobber then dead stick...they would hit on the pause.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:29 AM »
Of the largest gills I've watched approach my jig on cam, they are the 1st to swim up through the others, you have but one shot at a hook-up. You miss and they're gone...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.