Author Topic: Ice Lines  (Read 3538 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Lines
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Mono, Floro, Braid or Nano... Which ones are on your rods?

I gave up on mono a few years back and switched to braided (Berkley Fireline Crystal). This stuff is very tough although I've questioned its performance in comparison to Floro or Nano.

Your thoughts, comments & experiences?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Lines
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Fluoro all the way. ASSO Micron 3 for years but any of the ASSO Fluoro lineup are superb. Fill the spool with most anything then add 3X you normal fishing depth with Fluoro, start running short then add more. A much cheaper approach than wasting good line to fill the spool

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:06 PM »
5# Power Pro Ice w/ 3# Micron 3 leader uni to uni knot
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I like the trilene 2# ice flouro

Offline Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Fluoro all the way. ASSO Micron 3 for years but any of the ASSO Fluoro lineup are superb. Fill the spool with most anything then add 3X you normal fishing depth with Fluoro, start running short then add more. A much cheaper approach than wasting good line to fill the spool

Do you know why there is a price difference in the different Asso fluoro lines?

Last year I used 3# Vicious ice line and had great results.  I got some Fireline fused crystal on clearance last spring so I will start with that and switch to something else if I don't like it.
Paul
Formerly Out_Of_Ideas
All I wanted to do was watch someone Ice Fish!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Mainly different formulations, newer properties & manufacturing process, stretch, color................. ... Just high quality, Italian made line mainly used in Europe. No different in price ranges/specs than the various grades of lines offered by any of the other manufacturers. It is a fairly true IGFA poundage line, 2# breaks @ around 2# not 3#+

Offline Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2013, 08:49 PM »
So why buy the $9 Asso when you can but the $5?
Paul
Formerly Out_Of_Ideas

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Tried the $9 super ($10 at the time) over the summer. It's a bit softer in feel (more like mono) but still sinks like a rock and doesn't stretch. Nice stuff but I'm sticking with the $5 Micron 3 and will give the other a try over the winter. Believe the Micro 3 is the best ice line out there, Super "MAY" be a touch better but not  @ 2X the price. Haven't tried the Stretch yet, somewhat curious about it, know the overall quality will be there, might solve the very rare big fish, lighter line, small jig hook set occasional break off  problem

Offline Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Thanks for the info!
Paul
Formerly Out_Of_Ideas

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2013, 06:58 PM »
When the nanofil came out I got several spools and gave it a try.  I was disappointed... the lite test frays and breaks easily.  I took it all off after setting the hook on a gill and broke off with the 3lb.
I now use mono and floor exclusively.  My favorite is Asso heavy 2lb and 3lb.  The yellow is my norm but do have some of the brown for certain circumstances.  The Asso lines have great properties and I feel is the best line out there.  My second favorite Pline floroice in 3lb. And for the super finicky and clear water presentation I go to Asso 1.5lb ultralight.  I strictly tight line and feel swuvels take away from the presentation.
]

Offline tipwaydown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:13 PM »
I tight line a lot with a fire line main line swivel then a three pound test leader about two foot long....love the fire line tough last multiple seasons and also detect the up right bite of a crappie great...will never go back to running mono or carbon line as a man line.... fire line is just plan tough against the ice.

Offline wickedwind

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:28 AM »
Flurocarbon! because it sinks.ASSO is nice stuff,tried it for the first time last year,with good results.I've also had good luck with 2lb Vanish and the out of production Triplefish ice fluoro .Put some 2lb Seagur abraisx on a rod this year seems good so far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.