The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: stunted gills  (Read 2711 times)

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
stunted gills
« on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:50 PM »
what do you do with those pesky stunted gills?  do you throw them back? i just make gill chowder   worked out pretty good  ;D
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: stunted gills
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:51 PM »
I toss em back to make room for keeper gills in my limit. In Michigan, if you keep em, you count em!
 ;)

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:56 PM »
I toss em back to make room for keeper gills in my limit. In Michigan, if you keep em, you count em!
 ;)
i usually keep the smaller ones too as part of my limit, when i do actually catch a limit, which isnt all that often.  maybee keeping the small ones is a good way of keeping the stunted fish down?  ???  i was sittin on a lake the other day, around this group of old guys, who sit there everyday and catch limits, who obviously didnt like me being there were all braggin about how they been pullin 9 inchers out everyday for the last 3 weeks, and this guy caught and took home 36 this day yadda yadda lol..and theyre all sayin "wow, man it used to be wed pull nothing out but 8 inchers and bigger!! whered they all go?   :o
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:14 PM »
The Michigan DNR in the old days would visit Lakes with stunted populations, and ask that the fisherman deposit all smaller, un-wanted fish atop the ice. This fed the Gulls, Fox's and Pike. Some people though , never knew when to stop. With PETA types, this could never be done again. Now we pay major tax and fee dollars to fund poisonings that kill off all species, then :-\ we start over.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2007, 05:19 PM »
wait, back up.... what r stunted gills just small ones?
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:45 PM »
wait, back up.... what r stunted gills just small ones?
i consider them stunted i catch alot of small ones.  maybe not "stunted" like 3 inch fish, just ones that are kinda small.  ones that youd normally throw back.  i dunno, the chowder was really good.  kinda reminded me of lobster, it had a sweet taste
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:41 AM »
The Michigan DNR in the old days would visit Lakes with stunted populations, and ask that the fisherman deposit all smaller, un-wanted fish atop the ice. This fed the Gulls, Fox's and Pike. Some people though , never knew when to stop. With PETA types, this could never be done again. Now we pay major tax and fee dollars to fund poisonings that kill off all species, then :-\ we start over.

Well.........I'm 47 and never heard that the DNR said "The Michigan DNR in the old days would visit Lakes with stunted populations, and ask that the fisherman deposit all smaller, un-wanted fish atop the ice."

What I DO know is that if you get caught throwing Smaller Fish on the ice and not taking them w/ you, you could be ticketed w/a Fine for Littering..

Seen it happen..

Stan..

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:45 AM »
Well Stan, I can only attest to the Lakes inthe Oakland County area. I am only 43, just a green rookie compared to some on here, but I do remember this  well, and can remember all the fish laying on the ice with Fox tracks and birds all around them too.
I also remember the results after a couple years of doing this. A population of substantially larger Gills!
No poisons, no labor cost, no PETA!
Just results.

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Well Stan, I can only attest to the Lakes inthe Oakland County area. I am only 43, just a green rookie compared to some on here, but I do remember this  well, and can remember all the fish laying on the ice with Fox tracks and birds all around them too.
I also remember the results after a couple years of doing this. A population of substantially larger Gills!
No poisons, no labor cost, no PETA!
Just results.

LOL...MAYBE....just MAYBE...the DNR Officer was ALSO a >>>>"just a green rookie"

I heard it from a Old Fart..lol..

I just guess it either would matter, or wouldn't matter...All depends if the Officer needs to get his Quota for that day..lol.

Stan

walleyechaser

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:16 AM »
I've found that there are 2 populations of gills in most lakes.  The stunted gills that inhabit the shallower water and the big purple bellied "deep water roaches" that are usually in depths of 20 feet or more.  Only come up shallow in the spring and fall.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Roaches!

The ultimate Quarry! ;)

pinche

« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:22 AM »
I've found that there are 2 populations of gills in most lakes.  The stunted gills that inhabit the shallower water and the big purple bellied "deep water roaches" that are usually in depths of 20 feet or more.  Only come up shallow in the spring and fall.
Sounds like your ready for Saturday LOL

Exactly how it has been for me this year .

walleyechaser

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:24 AM »
RL come ice out I know right where to go and get a quick limit.  My old stomping grounds on lake T.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:37 AM »
I'm ready!

We'll hit O as well. I have found a spot there that the Roaches begin spawning in 6-18 of water two - three weeks prior to the rest of the fish. Its a riot to hit them for a couple weeks, then the regular spawn begins. Everyone is searching 3-6 FOW for weeks finding no fish, and I'm hauling in baskets of limits!
Tha lake had a stunted population for a long time. It is now reviving and the Walleye I think help that.

I have a Coleman Crawdad two seater with trolling motor for those spots that the Ghetto Troller may be too big for.

Now that T is getting built up, is there less pressure due to the new people not fishing and reducing access? or more pressure?

Offline cuttinholes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Hey slayer how's bout sharing that recipe with the good folks here!!!!!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2007, 11:42 AM »
Hey slayer how's bout sharing that recipe with the good folks here!!!!!
take 2 lbs or more of panfish filletts, 2-3 cups of red  potatoes, quarted (i used other kinda potatoes ill use redskins next time),, cup of chopped celery, cup of chopped green pepper, cup of chopped onion, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, 5 pieces of bacon  , buncha crushed black pepper, salt, 1/2 cup of chopped chives....fry up the bacon till crisp, take the bacon out and crumble it up, dump most of the grease, put crushed garlic in the remaining grease and sautee for a minute, add all ingredients, plus 2 cups of water, bring to a boil.  take a chunk of butter and melt it in a saucepan, mix 3 tablespoons of flour into the melted butter, mix up until its like a paste, add 1 cup of milk to it, and bring to a low boil, whisking to break up the flour and it begins to thicken, dump that into the pot with the other stuff, add 2-3 more cups of milk to the stew.  let simmer for awhile, thats about it. stir it often to keep it from sticking.  i also put some red ceyenne powder in it, and it came out kinda spicy. p.s. add 4 whole bay leafs, some oregeno, and some of thyme as well, make sure to take the bay leaf out when done, thats it
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline benjui567

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:58 AM »
walleyeslayer I was thinking of your recipe will sitting on the ice last night man it was sounding pretty tasty the picture really sets it off though makes the mouth water just looking at it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.