The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: MWO Update #3  (Read 383 times)

Offline walleyehawger

• IceShanty Rookie
MWO Update #3
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Midwest Open Update #3

Tuesday January 23, 2018

I have just returned from an ice check on the lake. The current temp is 34 and we have strong winds from the west. I had hoped very much that when I was out there, there would have been little to no change in ice thickness from last Friday. That was not the case. If the thickness had not changed I would have given the green light for a riding tournament today. Because the thickness changed as much as it did we are back to Saturday at the rules meeting to make the final decision. I know this will not make a lot of people happy but I have no choice with 49 still projected for Friday and 46 and a little rain for Saturday it gave me no choice but to wait. If the forecast changes for the better or for the worse and the picture clears up we will make the call sooner. But as of today the announcement will be as planned at the rules meeting on Saturday night.

I have attached a map of where the boundaries will be set if it is a walking tournament. The reason the lake will be cut off is not because of Ice conditions in any area but for the safety of the contestants and fairness to those who can’t physically make it to the other end of the lake. If the tournament was comprised of 300 marathon runners in top physical health sure the whole lake would be in play. That is not the case so the lake will be cut down to size if it is a walking tournament.

Extra parking lots will open on Thursday for those coming into town. The extra parking is going to be inside the gates at Manitou Beach Marina, there will be signs to indicate the parking location. The Marina has allowed us to use the facility this weekend and it is my hope that we keep it clean and respect their property. Also the DNR is going to open the side gate into their lot on Thursday – Sunday so those parking at the Manitou Beach Marina lot can cut through to reach the launch.

I very much appreciate those that helped build the ramp onto the lake last week. So far the launch is looking good at this point, there is a minor heave on shore but the ramp is not affected at this time so it looks as if it is doing its job.

So as of right now I do not plan on having an update #4 unless we see a big change in the forecast. Remember the check in at the rules meeting starts at 6 pm on Saturday night and the Rules meeting will start right at 7 pm. Remember both members of the team has to be at the rules meeting on Saturday. The rules meeting is again being held at the auditorium at Columbia Central High School a map to the School has been attached as well.

Be safe.

Tom Knutson

Ice Conditions on the Lake

Launch                        11”                         9.5”

South Side                  10.5”                      10”

South East Corner      11.5”                      10.25”

Middle of Narrows      12.5”                     10.5”

Sandy Beach                 13”                        9.75”

North East Corner        12”                        9.5”

North                             10”                        8.25”

Cherry Point                  9”                           8.5”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum