Author Topic: Insulation ideas for portable shanties  (Read 13005 times)

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
Insulation ideas for portable shanties
« on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Anybody have a good idea on how to insulate a protable shanty without adding too much bulk or weight?  I have duct taped one of those emergency space blankets to the roof and it has worked ok, but I don't know how much heat I am saving. I was also thinking of adding some carpeting to the floor.  I have a clam type of portable.  I use a heater but I like things to get toasty. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Insulation ideas for potable shanties
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:09 PM »
There are a couple of new ice shantys that are made of heat retaining fabric. Clam makes one.

Offline rrfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:28 PM »
there's only so much heat a fabric will retain.  A good insulation has a lot of "dead air space".  If it's a home made shack thenI would use 1" rigid styrofoam and it will retain more heat than you can handle if installed properly with no air gaps.  If you end up with air gaps simply buy a can of spray foam and fill them and then it is air tight but will still allow breathing which is needed to get rid of unwanted vapor.

Offline rrfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:28 PM »
walltrout... if you want some help with this just contact me since we live close by each other.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:29 PM »
Walltrout, I have a flipover style shanty and like to add a swath of indoor/outdoor carpeting to where my feet are. Not only does it keep the feet warmer but also keeps hooks from catching in the slushy ice from around the holes.   Lou

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 06:32 PM »
I've heard of people using reflectix. You can get it at home depot. Here's a link-->  Reflectix

I can't give any personal info on it though, since I've never tried it.
Ken                                          

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 07:10 PM »
What kind of heater are you using?

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Fish trap makes a flip over called I believe a Thermal.  Remember they are alot heavier.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:30 PM »
I just put a small piece of berber carpet on the ice under my feet.  When I gets funky I just get another left over piece I have.  Its cheap (free) and lightweight and does help.  Its amazing how warm your whole body feels when your feet are warm.  One really cold days I also pack a little snow around my trap skirting and sled base for added warmth.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:02 PM »
I put some stuff in the roof of my shanty it is like foil backed bubble wrap. It keeps that thing so warm that we sit in it with t-shirts on. And carpet on the floor. Reflectix, It makes the shanty so warm you caoul sit there with a t-shirt on.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I got some of that foil bubble wrap. Any ingeniuos ideas for attaching it to the roof.  My shanty is made from a tarp like material.  I tried duct tape and it sticks ok but eventually comes down and it looks bad. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Insulation ideas for portable shanties
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:35 PM »
The answer is NORPAC from Canvascraft.

These guys have been making insulated portables long before Frabill and Clam even thought of it. It is real 3M thinsulate sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric. They are a little heavy, but very good quality.

I don't know if they will sell the stuff bulk. ???

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2008, 07:13 PM »
A couple of those foam ground covers will work good on the floor.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2008, 07:48 PM »
I had a one man clam, and got rid of it. Bought a 2man box type Viking shanty. I was always cold in the little clam because there is no way to stop the wind from blowing where the . The 2man shanty gets toasty inside on those 20-30degree days. Only time I get a little cold is when its in single digits or low teens.

I never could find a way to keep the wind out in my clam, it was nice that it took less time to set up in a new spot. I always did have a piece of carpet for my feet, that did help a little. But I don't move around allot, so the bigger less mobile box shanty suits me better.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:10 PM »
The first time out with a flip style shanty somebody thought putting snow on the flaps would be a good idea but when it froze we had a hard time getting it off the ice. I took 2 bike tire inner tubes, cut and tie one end, filled them with dry sand and tie it shut, then I lay them on the flap to stop the wind.

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:52 PM »
my frabill ultralite has a sleeve along the bottom i ran a Chain thru it to hold it against the ice as for inso  the refectix is the best stuff Ive used it on a couple of houses including mine lite and easy to clean its not cheap tho

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:20 AM »
the only problem with getting too warm in the shanty is not wanting to get out to check tip ups ;DFor a permanent shanty there are alot of new foam products out there.I just used one product in my house its a spray foam package with two tanks and a hose you spray it on and it swells just like cans of great stuff but you spray the whole wall.Only downside is cost about 1$ a sqare foot for 2-3" coverage but it seals every gap.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Hey Wall,
Guess we're in the same boat.  Got an old clam classic thats gettin kinda thin skinned.  Was thinking of the reflectix stapled or sewn on to a king size blanket(for durability and easy rolling) or comforter, whatever I can find at the thrift stores.  Just roll it over the shanty side to side and bungee it down. Plus the reflectix looks kinda flammable and might be better on the outside of the tent.  I'll give it a try the next time the wind settles enough to set up my shanty.  Last time on Frances, the wind tossed me(250 lb) around like a rag doll before I gave up trying to set it up.

P.S.  Sounds like you'll have a great time at cf this weekend.  Wish I could make it but wife's Masters class is first weekend every month and my 3 yo is still too young for the ice.  Be nice to meet you all though.  Some other time for sure.

tight lines amigo
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2008, 01:54 PM »
I also pack a little snow around my trap skirting and sled base for added warmth.

When its windy or cold, and my dynoglo heater won't keep the shanty warm enough, I have a collapsable shovel that I usually bring with me.  With it, I basically bury the outside of my shanty in as much snow as possible. I but the back of the shanty into the wind, and pack the snow has deep as possible around that side. I then just use the front zipper to get in or out.  Even on the windiest of days, the shanty will stay at least above freezing, if not much warmer (2-man trap yukon).  As a bonus, the snow piled up keeps the shanty from blowing away instantly (still have to anchor it on the windiest of days).

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2008, 04:07 PM »
What works for me is situating the shanty so it actually faces the wind. Then the fabric is not right against me from the wind which would be the same as just sitting outside. But with my DX3000 that meant I had to run bungy cord across my hole covers to keep them up.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:50 PM »

When its windy or cold, and my dynoglo heater won't keep the shanty warm enough, I have a collapsable shovel that I usually bring with me.  With it, I basically bury the outside of my shanty in as much snow as possible. I but the back of the shanty into the wind, and pack the snow has deep as possible around that side. I then just use the front zipper to get in or out.  Even on the windiest of days, the shanty will stay at least above freezing, if not much warmer (2-man trap yukon).  As a bonus, the snow piled up keeps the shanty from blowing away instantly (still have to anchor it on the windiest of days).

Sounds like a good idea, I am going to try it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.