Author Topic: Keeping hands warm  (Read 2277 times)

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Keeping hands warm
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Lots of new things coming out every year, when is someone going to have a heated rod handle?
I'd be the first customer. Well depending upon the price.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Keeping hands warm
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Should not be that hard to come up with... But why do ice rod makers keep using medal in there reel seats? I end up wrapping any with tape...

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:30 PM »
I have a couple old Hot Stix rods. You stuff one of the little hand warmer packs in it and it supposed to keep the handle warm. They were given to me haven't really tried that feature. Not a bad rod though.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/aqua-vu-hot-stix-ice-fishing-rod?a=242762

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I have a couple old Hot Stix rods. You stuff one of the little hand warmer packs in it and it supposed to keep the handle warm. They were given to me haven't really tried that feature. Not a bad rod though.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/aqua-vu-hot-stix-ice-fishing-rod?a=242762

[those are different, look simple to make. have couple old rods
just might have to go play in garage]
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:26 PM »
Wool gloves work wonders...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:01 PM »
Wool gloves work wonders...

Yes sir they do. I wear fingerless ones.

Shelters work great too.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline reeleyez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:58 PM »
Hand warmers on your wrists..

Offline Nevsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:44 AM »
I use wool gloves and mittens and I think my tolerance of cold is pretty good.  I have one problem however.  When I am winding up my tipups at the end of fishing my hands get very cold.  I found I have to do this with bare hands.  I think the metal arm that holds the spool underwater is a big heat sink!  Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Had enough of my hands getting cold. A few years ago I was dumb enough to get frost bite so now my hands will go fairly quick. This year I bought a pair of beaver fur mittens lined with polartech and wool liners. Found them from a guy in Alaska who makes them for a number of the Iditarod mushers. Not practical for jigging, but will work that out.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Full disclosure....I work as a mail carrier. The way I layer and keep my extremities warm is much different now than it was before I did this.

Bulky wool gloves or mittens are not possible for us to use. We need dexterity in our hands because it is necessary for us to flip quickly through a stack of letters when in the elements. We are also constantly touching metal boxes and those things suck the heat right out of your hands.

My “approach” is to layer them within reason. First layer is a good quality nitrile surgical glove. Primarily a moisture barrier but also a good wind breaking asset as well. Next layer I use some sort of latex dipped glove. The best ones I’ve found so far come in four or five pair packs at Home Depot and have fluorescent yellow fingers. Still enough dexterity to finger through mail quickly without being clumsy. On my right hand I’ll throw a fingerless glove over the top and run a hand warmer in my right jacket/vest pocket. In between houses that hand goes in the pocket for a couple of seconds and then rinse and repeat. On my left hand I’ll put on a very basic cotton glove much like a glove liner and then a fingerless glove. That combination has proven to be as effective as a heavy pair of ski gloves without sacrificing finger dexterity. It’s now what I’ll use ice fishing.

For hand warmers I personally don’t care for the disposable hot hands type ones. If they sit still for too long they will go “cold” and need to be reactivated by grabbing them. That isn’t ideal for what we do every day. You need warmth at all times when you need it. Fumbling around with something in your pocket gets old fast.

I’ve been experimenting with different rechargeable hand warmers and have mixed feelings on them. The concept is a good one but I haven’t found one that lasts as long on one charge as they advertise. If I find one that does then I’ll exclusively go with those.

Instead I use the tried and true lighter fluid zippo type. Fill them up, light them, and you’re good until they run out of fuel. Heat is always there...just reach in quick, grab it, and be on your way.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Heated glove liners. Best damn thing I’ve bought!

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Heated glove liners. Best damn thing I’ve bought!

where do you find them?

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:22 PM »
Shanty and a buddy heater.

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:38 PM »
I still use a box with a lantern, that helps. I also put toe heaters in my gloves. It works. At times I add wrist heaters.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
It is what it is....

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Full disclosure....I work as a mail carrier. The way I layer and keep my extremities warm is much different now than it was before I did this.

Bulky wool gloves or mittens are not possible for us to use. We need dexterity in our hands because it is necessary for us to flip quickly through a stack of letters when in the elements. We are also constantly touching metal boxes and those things suck the heat right out of your hands.

My “approach” is to layer them within reason. First layer is a good quality nitrile surgical glove. Primarily a moisture barrier but also a good wind breaking asset as well. Next layer I use some sort of latex dipped glove. The best ones I’ve found so far come in four or five pair packs at Home Depot and have fluorescent yellow fingers. Still enough dexterity to finger through mail quickly without being clumsy. On my right hand I’ll throw a fingerless glove over the top and run a hand warmer in my right jacket/vest pocket. In between houses that hand goes in the pocket for a couple of seconds and then rinse and repeat. On my left hand I’ll put on a very basic cotton glove much like a glove liner and then a fingerless glove. That combination has proven to be as effective as a heavy pair of ski gloves without sacrificing finger dexterity. It’s now what I’ll use ice fishing.

For hand warmers I personally don’t care for the disposable hot hands type ones. If they sit still for too long they will go “cold” and need to be reactivated by grabbing them. That isn’t ideal for what we do every day. You need warmth at all times when you need it. Fumbling around with something in your pocket gets old fast.

I’ve been experimenting with different rechargeable hand warmers and have mixed feelings on them. The concept is a good one but I haven’t found one that lasts as long on one charge as they advertise. If I find one that does then I’ll exclusively go with those.

Instead I use the tried and true lighter fluid zippo type. Fill them up, light them, and you’re good until they run out of fuel. Heat is always there...just reach in quick, grab it, and be on your way.

I’m glad surgical gloves work for some people but anything like that for me makes my hands sweat profusely. I was a custodian at Central Michigan University and 90% of my day involved wearing nitrile gloves. I’d go through so many just from sweat. About half a shot glass’s worth per pair. No kidding. I couldn’t imagine that out on the ice. Talk about frozen hotdog fingers lol.

So, just putting it out there that surgical gloves may provide the complete opposite of what one may need.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2019, 03:58 PM »
be sure to keep your hands dry..i take a towel with me..
my feet are whats get freakin  cold..no matter what boots
i.ve tried or socks...and those freakin toe warmers are a
piece of sh@t.
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:59 PM »
be sure to keep your hands dry..i take a towel with me..
my feet are whats get freakin  cold..no matter what boots
i.ve tried or socks...and those freakin toe warmers are a
piece of sh@t.

Toe warmers are junk for sure.. check in to refriware socks and other companies they sell electric heated socks I am sure google works good too for those.. was even thinking about usb powered  carbon elements for heated seats ?? And sewing in to gloves and jakets etc..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.