Author Topic: Clam plate wobble issue?  (Read 22532 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Clam plate wobble issue?
« Reply #240 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:31 PM »
I just received a clam plate and after putting it together with the clam extension, there is almost no wobble when spinning it in the air. No auger yet to try in the ice.

I paired it with Ryobi drill. Is there any issue with putting the trigger actuator assembly in the same channel as the drill handle holder? It seems to activate the trigger perfectly that way. Otherwise I think the piece that contacts the trigger would be too long.

All drills are different, but with most brushless drills being short they need it in the same channel. I believe my ryobi p251 is the same but I would have to go look to be sure
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #241 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:13 PM »
It just cuts.once in awhile if you start to slow it will walk.i just start another hole when it does.its best just to put drill to ice and pull the trigger fully auger grabs and shreds ice doing this.starting out slow does not work with my 8” mora.its the moras shaver blades that make it walk.that been my method so far.its walked maybe 5 times out of 75.i let other guys cut holes with it to.no problems.

Here's my sol'n to the walking prob  I used the kind of screw used for furniture legs---machhine thread on one end to go in tapped hole, wood type thread on the other end to go into ice. Can make overlapping holes with this too.

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #242 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:59 AM »
I just received a clam plate and after putting it together with the clam extension, there is almost no wobble when spinning it in the air. No auger yet to try in the ice.

I paired it with Ryobi drill. Is there any issue with putting the trigger actuator assembly in the same channel as the drill handle holder? It seems to activate the trigger perfectly that way. Otherwise I think the piece that contacts the trigger would be too long.

Thats what many people have done.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #243 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:45 AM »

That's the channel where I put my Ryobi. I did try it in the other one and couldn't get it to line up right. I'd still pay close attention to in the channel where you have it.  That's where mine was when I busted the trigger on my first Ryobi.  With the second one I watched more closely at how it made contact and it's been fine. 

Offline sconnieboy55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #244 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Does anybody have a recommendation for a different auger extension besides the Clam one? I just ordered the Clam but after reading the thread I think that might have been a mistake...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #245 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:16 PM »
Does anybody have a recommendation for a different auger extension besides the Clam one? I just ordered the Clam but after reading the thread I think that might have been a mistake...
im running the clam extension with no problems.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #246 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Clam here no problems

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #247 on: Jan 16, 2019, 02:43 PM »

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #248 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:19 PM »
I haven't had any problems using the Clam extension.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:57 PM »
No problems with Gen 1 Clamplate and extension. Been using it for 4 yrs now.. I was wondering if the drill is not mounted properly to drill plate; causing wobble?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #250 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:03 PM »
My Clam Extension runs smooth without the Clam Plate. With the clam plate I had it had the worst wobble ever. I got rid of the Plate. Still waiting for my reimbursement. 
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #251 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:41 PM »
i took mine back too.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #252 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Looks like about 10% unsatisfied, can’t please everyone !!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #253 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Looks like about 10% unsatisfied, can’t please everyone !!

The vocal minority do not represent the quiet majority.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #254 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:42 AM »
Never wanted anyone else to get rid of theirs. It is just like anything made these days. There are a few really bad ones. My auger couldn't be any happier with out that wobbly clam plate I had. It had spun true I would be using it.
<===Lefty===

Offline sconnieboy55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #255 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:35 AM »

Good point.  People are more likely to share bad experiences versus good experiences.  I feel bad for the few that have had issues with their Clam plates.  Unfortunately not all products are made the same or the same standard year in year out

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #256 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:23 PM »
Fuel 1200in/lb. gen 2 clam plate. 8in nils auger

No problems

I believe when the plate was designed it was designed around the milwaukee 725in lb brushless fuel drill at the time. Same goes for the k drill auger. If a guy wants a perfect fit....well go with what a basic design was built off of.

Offline sconnieboy55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #257 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:24 PM »
Just got my plate and extension in the mail.  Got it all put together and there was lot of play in the plate where the bearing is connected.  Is this normal?  My extension has a bend in it and was causing a wobble when I was using the drill so that is getting returned.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #258 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:16 AM »
Just got my plate and extension in the mail.  Got it all put together and there was lot of play in the plate where the bearing is connected.  Is this normal?  My extension has a bend in it and was causing a wobble when I was using the drill so that is getting returned.
Before you return the Extension try it with the drill by itself. If it spin smooth it isn't the extension.
<===Lefty===

Offline sconnieboy55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #259 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:38 AM »
I should clarify too that when the shaft is in the clam plate, it is not a snug fit. There is some play between the shaft and the bearing, I think that is what is causing my wobble issue.  When I have everything else connected, it seems like the play in the plate gets much worse.  When everything is connected, I can move the plate up and down about 1/4"-1/2" with the auger staying perfectly straight

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #260 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:51 AM »
That sounds like a lot of play. But I would still try the extension with out the plate on the auger to see if it spins smooth. Or just go out and try to drill some holes the way it is. If it drill smooth your set. If not try with out the plate and see what happens.
<===Lefty===

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #261 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:27 AM »
I should clarify too that when the shaft is in the clam plate, it is not a snug fit. There is some play between the shaft and the bearing, I think that is what is causing my wobble issue.  When I have everything else connected, it seems like the play in the plate gets much worse.  When everything is connected, I can move the plate up and down about 1/4"-1/2" with the auger staying perfectly straight

I just checked mine and it has a almost no play at all. Maybe 1/32"-1/16" at most.

Offline Dakpheasant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #262 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:19 PM »
I just bought a clam plate and a 6 inch blue mora.  The wobble issue did concern me, but with enough research on here I decided to try it. There is some wobble if you just hold it up and spin it.  But on the ice you don't notice it.  I think the auger is most likely not precision machined and balanced.  My existing drill didnt really work so I bought a used Dewalt brushless drill.  When I put it back together the wobble was horrible!  I thought I had wasted my money. But after a day of thinking about it I took the auger off and rotated it 180 degrees so the bolt holes were opposite of where they were.  My wobble went back to being "some" or minimal.  Took it out to the ice for a test and I really like it.  When drilling ice the wobble just goes away.  I think the auger itself is unbalanced and causes the wobble.  But it cuts ice like crazy!  You could probably skip the clam plate and just spend the extra money for a drill with a side handle, but there are also reports of those breaking in some instances.  I like my clam plate for now and I am glad I have it. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #263 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:12 PM »
Here's my sol'n to the walking prob  I used the kind of screw used for furniture legs---machhine thread on one end to go in tapped hole, wood type thread on the other end to go into ice. Can make overlapping holes with this too.

So how did you get the bolt on it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.