Author Topic: How much ice ya got?  (Read 5038 times)

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
How much ice ya got?
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I've been to the same lake on the west side of the state 6 times so far.

At the "peak" I had 12 inches....by last Saturday it was down to 7".....and that was before our last round of rain/temps in the 40's.

How's your ice holding up? I'd like to see one more arctic blast to take us into March!    ;)

Offline johnnyM

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How much ice ya got?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Hartford county down to 4 last Saturday. Probably less today,  after a good soaker.

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Had 8-9 inches in northern new haven county today.only lost 1-2 inches from the last rain storm.was out on the same body of ice and had 10-11 before the storm

Offline JoshSmith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Went out Sunday in Western Connecticut during the rain and we had 6 to 8 inches. Think we still have some decent time but not to March.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I hope we can keep this thread going over the next few weeks. Maybe even a few more guys weighing in?

I get there is variation from location to location, but it would give us an "average" of how the ice is holding up statewide
through this continued temperature/rain roller coaster ride.  :tipup:

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:33 AM »
About 7 inches in Griswold on Sunday but not great ice. White, crystally and soft, a bit too easy to drill and spud through. Also a few large areas that a guy said were open water two days prior. I'm out of commission this weekend and going north next weekend. Hopefully I haven't seen my last day on CT ice for the season.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:14 AM »
We went from 8-9 down to 4 in my area.
My mission is goin' fishin'.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:21 AM »
still holding up well in the NE. i was out last weekend. black pond woodstock still holding a good 10 inches, coventry the same on sunday. crystal a solid 6-7 inches
ice isn't going anywhere for a while.

wt

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:22 AM »
on the ice last nite i measured a solid 7".  no issues with the edges and it was making ice last nite.

Offline camo man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:00 PM »
Mount Tom 11"  :tipup:

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Northern Fairfield County I had around 9" on Tuesday. It was still frozen all the way to the edges but alittle sketchy getting on.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Bantam had 11 inches Saturday (but not black ice quality) before the deluge and latest warm up.

Forecast looks bad. Late March weather before mid February.

If its over in CT this will be for me the earliest in-state "ice out" in 13 seasons of fishing.....

.....with the last 3 being the earliest of them all.

There's no doubt in my mind this is climate change related.  >:(

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:54 PM »
I was on the ice 10 days before christmas this year. 3 years ago parts of the state were ice fishing on opening day. The willimantic river did not break until the beginning of april that year. Its called weather.

wt

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Northern lake Champlain has close to 20 inches and Northeast Kingdom including laker lakes have tons of ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:45 PM »
I was on the ice 10 days before christmas this year. 3 years ago parts of the state were ice fishing on opening day. The willimantic river did not break until the beginning of april that year. Its called weather.

wt

I remember the winter of 05/06.  Insanly warm but global warming didnt exist back then so they called it what you did...weather.

Anyone remember being a kid and the worrying about holes in the ozone?  Well, I guess by nature of our existance we fixed that ugly problem!   ;D

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:26 PM »

wt

I get where you're coming from. Check the records going back decades, not just a few years.

Arguing climate change is like arguing politics. Folks aren't going to change their mind.

It boils down to either believing the science or not. I believe it.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I believe in climate change it's been going on for over a billion years I just don't believe all the BS we're being fed so people can get rich I'd love to meet you out on the ice have a beer and a cigar and a great discussion unlike a lot of people I have an open mind and try to look at all sides of an issue

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:38 PM »
People love to have an opinion on the topic.  We can all agree on that.  For me...since I am not the one doing the studies and am not a climate change "expert" I don't have an opinion either way.  Im certainly not inclined to believe either side based on what the media says...that would be foolish.

All that said a beer and a cigar is a great choice for ice fishing.

Offline flukeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Please cut out the political BS - this is a fishing site.
Dave G.

Offline Mudcat26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:06 AM »
11” on Mohawk pond as of Monday

Offline zackly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:22 AM »

I'm going to state the obvious for safety reasons.
It's at least as much about the quality of the ice as it is about the thickness. Solid, dense, clear black ice is much safer than "honeycombed" ice that has been weakened (softened) by warm weather, rain, snow blanket. I once fell through 5" of ice late in the season.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:17 AM »
There's some irony in you bringing up the ozone layer... That's a pretty perfect example of a scientific consensus that led to a significant policy change. CFC's (and other chemicals) were identified as a major cause of ozone depletion, we stopped the widespread use of them and now the ozone layer is improving. Also warmer air temperatures help protect the ozone layer by breaking down some of the gasses that are more problematic. Sorry you guys are having a short season, I'm hoping that VT ice lasts well into March.

I remember the winter of 05/06.  Insanly warm but global warming didnt exist back then so they called it what you did...weather.

Anyone remember being a kid and the worrying about holes in the ozone?  Well, I guess by nature of our existance we fixed that ugly problem!   ;D

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Pretty much open water here in southeast CT, some cruddy ice still holding on.  I'm getting the open water gear ready this weekend, might take a trip north but it is looking done for us here in CT.

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Ice is over. Get ur boats / kayaks ready. Don't forget to clean all the ice fishing equipment before u put it away. Been there done that.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:54 AM »
At this point in the year, with warm temps forecasted for next week and the cold and snow this weekend. Do you think the snow will help us or hurt us?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:32 AM »
At this point in the year, with warm temps forecasted for next week and the cold and snow this weekend. Do you think the snow will help us or hurt us?

Usually Id say help but with the temps for next week I dont think any snow cover will last.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:32 PM »
It sounds like from the reporting that there is not enough good quality (black) ice left for the snow to insulate.

That being said depending on the amount/water content of the snow, it's just another load on ice that will soon be out.  :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Ice out is fine with me.  Trolling and watching the rods is kind of like watching a flag pop. 

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Time too say it's over

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:20 PM »
My local lake (over 60 acres and just under 300 ft elevation) was almost completely locked up in the middle of the week, with what looked like ok ice in spots. Open water saturday morning. I'd say we are definitely done around here. Have we ever had a freeze up this late in the season? The water temps are there, a few cold days in Dec or Jan normally locks it up, but with the sun being stronger and days longer seems like skim ice melts off much easier this time of year. I am hearing  early March could be cold, obviously the long run is a crap shoot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.