Author Topic: Balancing Rod, Reel, Line and Lure  (Read 793 times)

Offline ehavs

• IceShanty Rookie
Balancing Rod, Reel, Line and Lure
« on: Oct 15, 2015, 08:23 AM »
hey guys newbie here withe a newbie question.  I am reading a lot about making sure your whole rod, reel, and line combo along with the lure is well balanced.  Question is I am having a hard time finding posts or articles online that may help explain HOW to do this. 

Was curious if there is one tried and true method to do this and if there are many ways to do this what are yours?

Thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Balancing Rod, Reel, Line and Lure
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Should add your location profile.

its mostly species related ...smaller the target the thinner the line per se 
Panfish 1-4 pound test....I like 3 pound ...I go two but hard to find locally

Usually have a higher pound test main line with a smaller pound test (fluorocarbon) leader connected via a BB swivel

what fish are you  targeting ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Start with your rod... it should say on the blank what size line it is intended to be used with as well as the weight of the lures, once you know what size line you will be using you can select the proper sized reel to round out your combo.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2015, 02:03 PM »
It's not rocket science, for most of the ice sized rods a 500 or 1000 sized reel is the way to go.  If you run bigger reels they can be a bit heavy on the back end and take up more space in the sled.  For an ultralight rod fishing ice jigs a light line is the way to go, for heavier stuff you can go up from there.  I run 2lb on my UL, 4lb on my L, 6 on my ML and either 6 or 8 on my M.     
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2015, 02:10 PM »
It's so subjective, you're apt to get a hundred different opinions.

I look at it this way, neither the weight of the fish or the weight of the jig can overpower the rod and line. The reel holds the line. A good drag is always a real plus regardless of the size of the fish. Line weight is directly related to the target species and lure weight.

Confused yet ?

If the jig is too light to feel and see the action in the rod, the rod is too heavy. If the jig is too heavy......same result.

If the line is too light.....it'll break.

If it's too heavy you won't feel the action.

It's all feel. I know guys who fish ultralight jigs with 6 lb stren and catch as many fish as everyone else. I know guys who land walleye on 3 lb ice line without a problem.

We all have our favorites. You'll find yours.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Balanced is just a coined word.  You don't fish like me, and I will not fish like you.  We will all have our preferences for certain things.  There are things that some people will do and have others wonder what in the world is that? 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2015, 03:37 PM »
...well said rgfixit and slippery.

It's like the choice between a spinning reel and an in-line or level line reel... all a matter of what kind of fish you are targeting and what you feel most comfortable with. Heck, I've been "unbalanced" for so long now, I wouldn't know how to act if I were!
Good Icing!
Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2015, 07:18 PM »
I prefer quality rods and reels,my personal preference are 24 inch UL rigs. Some are noodle types no spring bobber,and some of my St.Croix have springs I have some sight fishing rods,some are tight lining rods,some of my heavier UL are my spoon rods. I just fish for crappie,gills and perch. 2 or 3 lb test ,my go to plastics, and very small jigs work most days. You could catch most panfish on any cheap combo with light line and a spring bobber.

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2015, 12:25 AM »
I dont so much as balance as i do find reels that fit my hand and the rod handle right, all my customs either have pflueger trions in a size 20 (those are on my noodle rods), or i have the mitchell 310 series reels (on my med lights and medium action rods). I just like the way they feel in my hand, I just want it to feel good in my grip so my hand has a good idea whats going on on the other end of the rod.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2015, 08:47 AM »
If it feels right it's fine, not like we're making 1,000 50yd casts in an outing where it does matter. rgfixit summed it up well, fits your needs and you're in good shape.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2015, 09:05 AM »
pretty much need more info on where you intend to fish and what you intend to fish for. It's like, I took a newbie fishing last year a few times He decided to get some gear of his own instead of borrowing mine but never checked with me to see what he should get. He showed up one day with a medium action rod with 6# line and a 2" jigging rap that some guy sold him at a sporting goods store. I sat there jigging for gills and perch thinking he was a bit over gunned. I told him and he got upset like I insulted his manhood or something. In order to "balance" out your fishing gear, you need to know what your fishing for and what kinda water you will be fishing in. For basic ice jigging for panfish on small and medium size lakes, any light to ultra light rod will do. A light ice line in the 3-4# range with a good pack of ice jigs. You can buy kits that will have a good assortment of jigs for different species from many suppliers. Should be fine. Don't have to go crazy and don't over think it. Once you are hooked, you will have plenty of time to go nuts buying all the special latest and greatest gadgets and gear! ;)

Offline ehavs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Thanks all for the replies. 

Much appreciated.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Among the luxuries of ice fishing is nothing is written in stone including equipment needs and techniques of how to use your equipment. You will learn a lot from the people on this site. they won't steer you wrong. I'll agree with some of whats already been said starting with the idea of gearing up with a species in mind that you want to target. I started with bluegills through the ice and went on from there. I still mainly target bluegill because that one is hard to beat at the dinner table. For gills I use ultralight rods, 2 lb. line, small teardrop lures, and for bait spikes, waxworms, mousies or anything else I can find to throw at them.
But mostly, Welcome to this site and have fun!!!

Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2015, 05:11 AM »
As far as balancing goes, it should be an active assessment of whatever you are doing.  It can even relate to that plastic on your jig.  It affects your presentation, preventing it from spinning in place.

Aggressive behavior fish and energetic fish fight may require a heavier line.  While negative mood fish, will require subtle  coaxing techniques and may require using light lines.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:58 AM »
If you check out the specie forums here on IS you will get some better ideas of what other guys are looking at as far as gear. Your state or regional or provincial forum will also give you good ideas for tackle. Good luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.