Author Topic: Where to fish around Chicago?  (Read 4830 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Where to fish around Chicago?
« on: Nov 11, 2003, 12:32 PM »
Just as I'm chomping at the bit for the water to freeze here in Minnesota, I have a possibility to move to Chicago for a job.:-[ I just bought a new portable shack at the end of last season and can't wait to use it. What do I do if we move to the windy city? Are there nearby lakes to drag my shack out on? Can you ice fish on Lake Michigan? How far out do you need to drive to dip my lines? This could be a deciding factor as to whether or not I take this job. Help.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Where to fish around Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2003, 03:09 PM »
Cityfishin ,   there are a lot of lakes around Chicago to ice fish , around here we don't nearly get as much time in/on the ice as you Minne"snow"tons do. Depending what old man winter decides to deal us, we may get 2 months on hard water, like last year, or sometimes 3 weeks at most or anywhere in between. Lake Michigan is questionable, you can fish the harbors on ice, but usually the lake itself still open, unless we get a real harsh winter, in that case the lake will be full of pack ice.That pack ice can be in by shore 1 day and move out a mile or 2 the next.

fishmanj

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2003, 04:33 PM »
There are many areas to ice fish just depending on where you live.  I have been in Minnesota for a few winter trips and I must say don't expect to be able to drive your truck on the ice.  I'm not too sure how anybody can do that but I would never try in illinois.  I would say if your crafty you can count on atleast a month if its a poor winter but normally you can get atleast 2-3 a season.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2003, 09:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I've got to say that it freaked me out to drive out on the ice the first time. You could hear the ice "pop" as you drove. Now, it's not even a question for me. Hell, there are highways out on the ice. It doesn't seem like Lake Michigan is really an option if you want to be safe. I'd hate to pack up from an evening of fishing and realize I'm on my way to Canada. It sounds as though there are a few options. How far out of downtown do you have to be? Is it best to try to live west, east or south of the city for the most options? Thanks for all the replies.

fishmanj

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2003, 10:43 AM »
I live straight north of the city by the Wisconsin border in Lake county.  There are a bunch of lakes out here including the very popular Fox Chain of Lakes.  You can find any fish from bluegill to muskie out there.  There are so many options out this way, just look at a map and take your pick.  As far as west and south of the city I can't tell you about your options but I beleive you choices are a little more limited.  Lets put it this way, if you make the move you will have plenty of options to choose from.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2003, 12:16 PM »
FishmanJ-

How long a commute do you think it is from Lake County to Downtown Chicago? Does the train go that far? Or is it a driving commute? It looks like that would be a great area to live. Most like Minnesota though the drive to work would be quite a bit longer. In looking up many of the lakes, especially in Cook County, it seems they are mostly under 15ft max depth. Is the fishing good in those? Or is it chock full of weeds. How safe is it to eat the fish?

Danimal

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2003, 09:35 AM »
In the city the harbors of Lake Michigan are the place for perch. Outside the city, Lake county would be my first choice. I myself live south of the city but I have an ace in the hole when it comes to ice fishing. I belong to a private club down south in Braidwood. We used to drive to the Fox Chain of lakes which is very popular & crowded. You won't like the commute to work but most surburban areas have public transportation into the city. Are you going to work downtown?

fishmanj

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2003, 10:09 AM »
It depends where at in Lake County you're looking for the commute to City.  In rush hour you're looking at a good hour plus and once the weather turns you're in for a longer commute.  If you're not traveling during rush hour you can make it in 45 minutes.  The train system does run into the city and that is what I would advise if you have to get into the city.  I dont' fish the lakes in Cook County, I have plenty to choose from out where I'm at, I'm not too sure but I also beleive most of the lakes in the CC area are forest perserve lakes and most forest perserve lakes around here are fished pritty hard.  I normally only keep fish in the winter time.  I beleive they taste better and I can catch enough to keep me happy through the summer.  You don't have anythign to worry about.

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2003, 07:51 PM »
"It doesn't seem like Lake Michigan is really an option if you want to be safe. I'd hate to pack up from an evening of fishing and realize I'm on my way to Canada."

Don't worry about that as long as you stay in the harbors you are pretty safe.  I have seen the Ice two feet thick in the harbors.  The harbors are up to 35' deep and they have Perch, king salmon, rainbow trout, brown trout, coho salmon.  But the salmon and trout are kinda rare.

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Praying for 3 more weeks of ice!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2003, 03:59 PM »
Cityfishin,

Congrats on the new job, as you can see, my name is headhunter and that is what I do.  These folks are correct about the harbors and about living up north.  Train coommute would be best if you chose that area.  I work in schaumburg and I have a co worker that lives in antioch (IL-WI border).  He says the train ride into the city is brutal. Close to an  hour and a half.  I live in crystal lake and the Lake is not so bad for ice fishing.  They have an association that I believe stocks the lake.

http://www.crystallakenet.org/clangler/

The train is very convenient in Crystal Lake as well.  If I catch an express train, I can be downtown in an hour.

Just giving you some options and again congrats on the new job.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.