Author Topic: Big bay ice fishing  (Read 1109 times)

Offline RDO

• IceShanty Rookie
Big bay ice fishing
« on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Does anybody fish on the ice at Big bay. I fished there back in the mid 70's in mid June once and did good on the pike and perch. As you can tell I'm an out-of towner living out in Utah these days. If I remember right we fished on the small bay separated by a railroad grade from Independence lake.Went with a buddy that had a friend or relative that lived there don't remember exactly. We fish from a canoe and it was a blast. Just curious? Never know maybe I could get back there again someday...   RDO

Offline flag..up!

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big bay ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2010, 04:48 PM »
thats one of the only lakes i fish. this year we are nailing the walleyes. limiting out each night. getting a lot of pike ranging from around 24 to 35 inches. havent tried to go for the perch lately. probably going out there this weekend. ill tell you how it went.

Offline RDO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:32 AM »
Thanks... Flag..up  I hope we're talking about the same bay?  I went to mapquest and found that the lake I'm talking about is called McKenzie Bay.  It's quite small, only about 1300' long x 700' wide. Way back then I'm not sure if it even had walleye.( I'm talking June 1976 !!)  All I remember is the water was very clear, you could see down 10'-15' or so. So what we did is paddle around in our canoe looking down in the water to find small schools of perch close to the shore. Then when we caught some, we would rig them up for bait with big bobbers and then let them out to catch the pike. It was a blast because the pike would pull us all over the place as we tried to land them. Probably caught 8-10 nice 1's that afternoon.  Great memory. Anyways that's cool your doing good. It's great to know the fishing is still good up there, and especially if your getting some nice walleye.( And sounds like the pike are awesome) Looks like I just might have to try and make a trip up there sometime in the winter and stretch a line or 2. I'll try and look you up if your still around.  Again thanks for the reply!!!   RDO

Offline flag..up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:52 PM »
yeah thats the same lake. lake independence in big bay. didnt end up going for perch. caught 4 eyes and a legal pike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.