The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for help with NELSON pond, kids made a mistake,  (Read 2271 times)

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well, I bit the bullet. Building a shanty.  Have one kid very unhappy about this, he wants a portable instead.  He happens to have a teacher who lives on NELSON in Woodbury.  I think i have fished it years ago, but can't recall anything about the place.  I plan on putting the shanty out there, close to Barre where she can, hopefully, help to keep an eye on it and we will get enough use to justify  by building it.  Last weekend i guess it was someone pulled a 19 pound laker out of it, so thats good news for me, love catching them.  However, the main concern is most likely what is the place like, do they have a good perch population, and where on the water is a decent place to put the shanty for the kids to catch SOMETHING?  Heading there tomorrow to check it out and drop a line with everyone.  Oh, and does anyone know where i can get spikes?  Does R&L sell them?  And a final thing, who has a trailer that wants to help launch the thing?  This baby is 6x10.  Going to have four bunks, heater from a camper, coleman stove, shelf for cooking, 12v lights....and who knows what else.  When it''s done, if it's worthy, I will post a couple of pics.  Hopefully on the ice, lol.
Pat
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline VTtracker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking for help with No. 10 pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:01 AM »
I could be wrong but I believe No. 10 is a closed trout water.

I heard the 19lb laker came from Caspian

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for help with No. 10 pond
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:12 AM »
just checked, No. 10 IS closed.  perhaps she told the kids NELSON pond, which is open.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for help with NELSON pond, kids made a mistake,
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:20 AM »
quick look on the whitepages.com said her address is on Nelson pond.  and, since she is supposed to be just one of four full time houses on the lake,going to have to trust that she knows what she is talking about in regards to the laker.  might be hard to get something like that by so few people.

Offline VTtracker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:32 AM »
That is a nice fish.  They do have rainbow as well.

Haven't fished there in a while but use to catch some perch just of the access.
Good size but didn't normally catch a lot.

Offline oldcatamount

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:29 AM »
I fish Nelson a lot and no one to my knowledge has taken a Laker of that size yet this year. I think that Laker came from Caspian but, not sure. There are some nice lakers (and 'bows) in Nelson and it doesn't get alot of winter attention. Straight out from the access and over to the right, towards the point, there is a "sunken island" which would be a good place for your shanty. Perch and trout both hang out there. The ice is pretty sloppy. There's 8 to 10 inches of ice, 4 inches of water on top of the ice, and 4 inches of wet snow on top of all that. Makes for tough walking. It's been slow fishin' (for me anyway) so far, but I go there alot because I know there are nice fat Lakers in there.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:30 AM »
doesnt sound very good conditions for introducing kids to the ice then.  need a dryer place i think.

Offline oldcatamount

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:33 AM »
I agree. The kids wouldn't like it. Have you considered Waterbury Reservois? Dry ice, lots of perch, easy access.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:52 AM »
No, won't go there.  I don't like any type of reservoir or running water.  When I go to Newport and drive onto the ice to get to the twin islands I hate going on there by the John's...

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:08 AM »
I agree. The kids wouldn't like it. Have you considered Waterbury Reservois? Dry ice, lots of perch, easy access.

Waterbury is far from dry right now 4 inches water 5 inches snow on top, pretty messy!!!

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:11 AM »
Hoping that Champlain being larger will have better conditions, maybe the wind will have kept the ice fairly clean of snow...

Offline Fowlhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:52 PM »
You should look at Woodbury Lake, easy to get to from Barre, ice is not bad most of the time and it had a lot of fish.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:54 PM »
I have been ther a few times, and am willing to give it another shot, just never had a whole lot of luck there.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:53 PM »
I also was told that a 19lb laker was taken from Nelson and also from Caspian the opening weekend of Trout season. I Guess the State shocked a Laker from Nelson a few years back that would be a contender if not a state record and he is still swimming in the depths.

Offline Lmacvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:34 PM »
I have been ther a few times, and am willing to give it another shot, just never had a whole lot of luck there.

woodbury has been slow as well. and the slop on top of the ice is the same everywhere.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:09 AM »
I fish Nelson all the time in a boat and have had minimal luck.....tons of fish in there, but also tons of food too!  Used to ice fish there 15-20 years ago off to the left from access where the brook dumps in and did good with rainbows.  Never got a laker thru the ice there only trolling in the summer.

Good luck!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.