Author Topic: Any ice in L'anse/Baraga... head of the bay?  (Read 6033 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Any ice in L'anse/Baraga... head of the bay?
« on: Feb 02, 2023, 01:22 PM »
With this cold weather, I'm assuming the head of the bay between Baraga and L'anse is starting to freeze.  Am I right?  Anyone have current condition?  I live 30 miles away, so I can't just pop out and look for myself.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline The Fisher King

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Any ice in L'anse/Baraga... head of the bay?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:00 AM »
Friday morning…

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:39 AM »
Thank  you "the fisher king".  Looks like a photo at the L'anse marina?  Correct? 

Offline The Fisher King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:53 AM »
Thank  you "the fisher king".  Looks like a photo at the L'anse marina?  Correct?

You are correct.

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:25 PM »
two off willow tree three off head of bay 4 people in whitefish hole behind BP in baraga and lots out in front of Indian country

Offline Jberry62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2023, 05:36 PM »
Update on ice after the warm temps and rain? 40 mile away and looking at the possibility of making a trip this weekend.

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2023, 04:10 PM »
I have not been to the L'anse area to check the ice personally, but a friend who drove along the lakeshore on US41 this past weekend said there were about 30 vehicles parked along side the road at the red rocks, down from the Bishop Baraga statue.  He also said the parked cars were the people that were fishing in that area.  He said there were about 20 tents on the ice in that area, a hundred yards or so from shore.  I cannot attest to the safety of the ice, but if 20+ people are in that location, it must be decent.  Good luck.  Be heading there myself from Houghton in the next week after several days of cold weather forecast for here. 

Offline Jberry62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2023, 04:43 PM »
Yes, made it out Sunday about 4" of ice couple hundred yards out from the head of the bay. if you are going out remember after warm temp ice does not always keep 100% of it original strength.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2023, 11:19 PM »
I haven't been out there myself but there was ice over the bay pretty much south of the county line last Saturday. HOWEVER, just a few days before that there was almost no ice at all! We drove around looking at the ice Saturday evening. There were a few tents out from the Red Rocks and one guy out from the marina in L'Anse. The ice from the willows, all the way around to Whir-I-Gig road was very jagged. It looked like the wind last week had broken up just about all of the ice in the bay and pushed it to the southwest. It looked like it froze up there but walking on it looked tough. The ice off of Sand Point looked smooth but there was no sign of anyone having been out on it Saturday. Use caution if you venture out and post here to let the rest of us know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.