Author Topic: copper harbor  (Read 1827 times)

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
copper harbor
« on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Has anyone ventured up to the tip of the keweenaw lately?  Just wondering how the ice is coming along? :tipup:

Offline k_bay_killer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: copper harbor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2008, 09:55 PM »
I was wondering the same thing and ventured north last Sunday, the 14th. No ice by the marina. It was very windy on the big lake. I decided while I was up there to fish fannyhoo and ended up graphing only one fish, which luckily I caught and it was a nice splake. About 5 inches of good, solid ice on that lake. I packed it up half way through the blizzard so I wouldn't get stranded.
"I'd rather be on shore wishing I could make it on the ice than on the ice wishing I could make it to shore"

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Went up north on Friday.  Fished Fanny Hooe with little success.   We wanted to get out in the harbor but the ice was definetly sketchy >:(  It has formed near the marina, but it only took 1-2 hits with the spud to get break through.

k_bay_killer, how has lake fanny hooe treated ya' in the past?

Offline yooperland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:01 PM »
I drove up to Copper Harbor yesterday morning to check the ice. It's starting to form throughout the harbor, but the only fishable ice (approx. 6 - 8 inches) was in the far corner of the marina to the left of the boat launch and right next to the shoreline. Slow action with only one splake (12 inches) caught.

Offline referee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:57 PM »
Never heard of a fishery at Copper Harbor. What is to be had there?

Offline k_bay_killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:32 AM »
That was my first time ice fishing Fannyhoo.
"I'd rather be on shore wishing I could make it on the ice than on the ice wishing I could make it to shore"

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:34 AM »
over the years i have caught many splake,wallwyw and rainbow out of fanny hooe
da splake chaser

Offline ZeeUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:16 AM »
I agree with Yooperland, I checked out the ice on Saturday the 3rd, it is not fishable at all. fished fanny hooe and it was very slow, got only a little splake.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2009, 05:20 AM »
the ice comes fast in the harbor when it comes, until then fanny hooe.  my kid and 1 of his biddies had 5 fish on sunday, 4 splake and 1 walleye, fished early, they were on the ice by 6:30, done by 9.
da splake chaser

Offline bmbiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:09 AM »
3 inches of ice out in front of docks at the marina towards far shore. Only saw one fish and got it. Another group of guys out there said they got a couple. Not bad for first time out this year.

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:57 AM »
http://www.copperharbor.org/copper_harbor_live_cam.htm ... Looks like the Harbor is freezing nice now it was open yesterday from the pics here but now it looks locked in now  ::)

P.S This is a great site check it out  :tipup:

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Went up to the harbor with no luck.  Fished near the marina.  The ice here was OK, 3-4 inches but not the best quality.  Furthur westward of the marina towards hunters pt. the ice gets worse.  Make sure to bring your spud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.