Author Topic: Lighter ice fishing suit  (Read 576 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lighter ice fishing suit
« on: Mar 06, 2024, 09:23 AM »
My Striker Predator is getting some holes work in it, and I am thinking about the next suit I should get. I like a float suit for late and early ice, but this suit is pretty stiff and heavy for waking around, so I am considering skipping flotation and wearing an inflatable vest when things are sketchy. The Predator is plenty warm for me, so is there something lighter and easier to walk in that people are happy with? It seems like now is the season to start looking for a replacement.

:tipup:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Lighter ice fishing suit
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2024, 09:36 AM »
Eskimo Scout pants ...80g of insulation . Also the Eskimo Keeper bibs are nice ...80g insulation . Both options have flotation .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2024, 09:41 AM »
You could look at a suit with removable liners. I have an Ice Armor Ascent suit, and without the liners, it feels a lot lighter and easier to move around in, I'd guess the Striker Climate and Windrider Hayward suits are similar. You'd still get the flotation, which does add some insulated warmth, and the water/wind resistance and breathability of the ice suit. Downside is those are usually the most expensive suits.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2024, 09:51 AM »
I like my windrider suit, had or still have my predator suit that the daughter wears, and I like the movement in the suit when I am out and about, might even be warmer than my striker suit.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2024, 11:13 AM »
Inflatables do not work in the cold
-Tom

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2024, 12:33 PM »

Just get a type 3 life jacket and be done with it

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2024, 05:06 PM »
I wear a Striker Trekker jacket and bibs, it's not as bulky as the Predator. I won't go ice fishing without wearing a floatation suit, purchased my Trekker suit on sale from Striker for $200.00 delivered.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2024, 10:54 AM »
I like my Trekker but it’s not that muck lighter or easy to walk in than most. Layering under raingear is my go to.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2024, 01:16 PM »

I have a trekker and a climate , I find the trekker less bulky and plenty warm
 The climate hangs in the closet
 At 67 I found the trekker to be easy to walk in and was a great purchase , as the weather warms I wear a pro Qualifier rain suit

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2024, 01:52 PM »
I'm 70 and won't ice fish without wearing a floatation suit. Changes in my health have me questioning my ability to self rescue. I own a Guide Gear gore-tex rain suit, I consider the Trekker a safer option for myself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.