Author Topic: Advantage to high dollar rods?  (Read 17578 times)

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
Re: Advantage to high dollar rods?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:42 AM »

Look at some of the combos being sold out there...the rod can be halfway decent, sometimes not, and the reel cheap as crap, yet because someones name is attached to the rod they justify the higher cost.
And that name wouldn't happen to be GENZ would it ??? ???.....LOL.. ;D...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:46 AM »
And that name wouldn't happen to be GENZ would it ??? ???.....LOL.. ;D...WK

Genz, Jason Mitchell, Brian "Bro", etc.

Rods are sweet - reels are junk. Any reel that comes with a combo usually isn't worthwhile.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:04 AM »
In all honesty... there's nothing wrong with using a  "cheap" rod. If it feels good in your hand, and you catch fish with it...USE IT!!!! I have rods that I paid a lot more than I probably should have than my cheapest ones and they don't catch any more fish than the much cheaper ones that I started out with. 99.9% of catching fish is your technique (presentation) and you have to match that to the specie and conditions. I'm not saying that a sensitive rod is not necessary or that a stiffer rod isn't necessary if your fishing deep and you need to set a hook on a large fish...it's just that $$$ spent on a rod won't make a difference if you don't put the right offering down there, albeit lure size, jig (tipped or not) whether or not you're jigging too fast/slow etc.etc. A high dollar rod is nice but it's not your saviour......WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:14 AM »
In all honesty... there's nothing wrong with using a  "cheap" rod. If it feels good in your hand, and you catch fish with it...USE IT!!!! I have rods that I paid a lot more than I probably should have than my cheapest ones and they don't catch any more fish than the much cheaper ones that I started out with. 99.9% of catching fish is your technique (presentation) and you have to match that to the specie and conditions. I'm not saying that a sensitive rod is not necessary or that a stiffer rod isn't necessary if your fishing deep and you need to set a hook on a large fish...it's just that $$$ spent on a rod won't make a difference if you don't put the right offering down there, albeit lure size, jig (tipped or not) whether or not you're jigging too fast/slow etc.etc. A high dollar rod is nice but it's not your saviour......WK

I agree. However there's nothing wrong with not using a Vex, or shanty either. I wouldn't say all, but most "addicts" will be using something quality, as they have dumped, usually, a generous amount on an auger, Vex and shanty. After spending that kind of money, and time required to find the fish, I personally would like to be holding a quality (not necessarily the best) reel and rod in my hands as well.

Just food for thought.  ;)

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:41 PM »
I agree after you spend all the money on the flasher the auger and a hut it pays to have a decent rod and reel something that will last for years. If you fish enough each season quality equipment will pay for it self. Has anybody tried the new tb quiver stick yet it supposed to be more sensitive then the power noodle which is a great rod.
Dave

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:58 PM »
I agree after you spend all the money on the flasher the auger and a hut it pays to have a decent rod and reel something that will last for years. If you fish enough each season quality equipment will pay for it self. Has anybody tried the new tb quiver stick yet it supposed to be more sensitive then the power noodle which is a great rod.

Quiver isn't even on there website yet. How much is it? I seen on their forums a few have been released this month.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:00 PM »
They don't have alot of stuff on their website. I am waiting for the hardwater series to show up also. It their new production model. I talked to Matt today and I believe they are working on their 2nd shipment of quiversticks now. Should have them out soon.

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:05 PM »
They don't have alot of stuff on their website. I am waiting for the hardwater series to show up also. It their new production model. I talked to Matt today and I believe they are working on their 2nd shipment of quiversticks now. Should have them out soon.

How much are they?

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I am going to call and see If I can reserve one for when they come out i will let you konw.
Dave

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:10 PM »
I am going to call and see If I can reserve one for when they come out i will let you konw.

Thanks.  :)

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:13 PM »
The hardwater series are 29.99 I believe. And I believe the quiverstick is close to the custom price. Best thing to do would be call the store and check with them, cause availability of the rods is limited. I know the last QS batch went in less than 10 days I believe.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:20 PM »
that's what I gather form their forum seems like a hot new product I would imagine i should be around 70 $ give or take
Dave

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:39 PM »
I ordered 4 of their hardwater models to have for when I am fishing with friends and stuff and need some extra rods and I am not sure the customs rods would be a good one to use. I am looking at the quiverstick but am going to wait and see if it would be great for me...The power noodle isn't great for me and how I fish. Still an incredible rod but not as suiting to me as the sweetheart is.

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I don't think the rods really makes a difference,especially if your using a spring bobber.  $100 or $10 rod it's the person holding the rod that makes a difference.
sparky

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:48 PM »
you hit the nail right on the head sparky

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:36 PM »
The spring bobber is rhe work horse.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:50 PM »
UW97 I talked to Matt at thorne bros yesterday and he said that they wont have any quivers till at least the end of the month if at all this season :(
Dave

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:48 PM »
The spring bobber is rhe work horse.
That is true is you only fish panfish, but I fish trout, walleye and everything else possible. The spring bobber doesn't help fight a fish only detect the bite.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:15 AM »
i keep going back to southern pro, and my last-one-on-the-shelf 10$ fish eagle than any other rods, my new genz stick silver edition still hasn't caught a fish  :laugh: for some reason a spring bobber doesn't help much, mostly the fish i go for nibble and then smack it, no "lightly inhale the bait" they just eat it.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #49 on: Oct 19, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Everyone's touch sensitivity level is different.  So for some people, a cheap rod and an expensive rod will make no difference.  For others, it the ability to feel a jig with still the bait on or not, even feeling that your jig is spinning in circles or swimming correctly.

Even other parts to your rig can amplify the performance.  A good reel can only do so much to help a cheap rod.  The cheap rod will show very little improvement from it.  A good reel can do much to help an expensive rod.  Now it comes down to getting good line to make that vital connection work.  You want line that performs, sensitive, and manageable.  Well it goes back to cheap rod, cheap reel, can't take full advantage of a line's benefit.  Get a good reel and a good rod and your line makes it all work even better.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #50 on: Nov 04, 2009, 12:18 PM »
I am pretty layed back and I fish to enjoy some time on the ice with some friends. To me catching fish is an added benefit for me. I guess more expensive rods might make a difference if I felt the need to fill my bucket. I do enjoy it when the fish are committing suicide though.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #51 on: Nov 04, 2009, 12:36 PM »
This thread still kicking?
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #52 on: Nov 04, 2009, 04:17 PM »
I get the quality thing....and for most of my gear, i do buy the best I can afford....but for ice fishing, on those days that its sooo cold and blowing and snowing, i might as well be jigging with a broomstick.  I do have a couple of nicer rods that I like to use, but I dont go out of my way and get all crazy about it....like I do with freshwater gear, saltwater gear,archery gear, rifle stuf, etc etc....maybe thats why icefishing is so excellent.....its realatively cheap,,,,except for the flipover, the vex, the gator, the jigs....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #53 on: Nov 04, 2009, 04:28 PM »
I do believe in putting down a few high quality beers while I'm on the ice.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Nov 04, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Curios minds wants to know... :)  

Really I'm tired of sorting through all the cheap stuff trying to figure out if this will do or not out there on the ice.  Wondering why I'm missing the hook set or why I can't seems to seal the deal on the bite even though I've gone through all my jigging techniques.  I do like the better stuff that I save up to buy.  When I think about how many cheaper rods I've gone through to get to there, I wonder why I didn't figure it out sooner.  Then again if I didn't go through all the cheap rods, I wouldn't even appreciate the performance of the more expensive one.  

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Nov 04, 2009, 07:11 PM »
The problem is that the expensive ones break just as fast as the cheap ones. :-\

If you want to get technical, the expensive ones mostly use solid carbon/graphite blanks that break more easily than cheaper fiberglass. The solid graphite rods are a pleasure to use, but tough they are not. I broke my first Thorne Bros rod about 6'' from the top and it made me sick. I switched to a St. Croix that uses pretty much the same blank for cheaper, but it was ugly..... I broke that one too. :'(

Some of us are accident prone I guess. I build my own now, so broken expensive rods only cost me parts and time.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Nov 04, 2009, 09:29 PM »
No way, the expensive ones are way easier to break.  :P

Of course,  8) , I've got my Ugly Sticks that can handle abuse, but even still the little boy broke the tip on it.  Maybe he didn't do it all by himself, but he was the last person to play with the rod when the tip snapped.

It goes back to do what brings you the most enjoyment.  That may be buy that expensive rod to get that little satisfaction that improved jigging technique or fish landing feel.  It may be buy that dreamshack and live like a king.  It may be bring the tarp and some wood to get the shelter going.  Everyone has their own reasons and justifications.  

If a person can't use the advantages of their tools then it would be unneccessary time and money spent on those particular tools.  If a person can use those tools to their benefit, then it would be time and money well spent.  Some people overpack.  Some people pack for all the what if's that may come their way.  Others can just fly by the seat of their pants.  I've done all these things at some point.

I do know that my Ugly Sticks don't bring me the same enjoyment of jiggin a 1/100th oz jig as opposed to using the St.Croix UL.  ;D   Also I'd figure if I'm going to spend $50 easy on one trip or $100 for one weekend, I might as well get myself the better rod.  It also goes that after I've spent all that money on the expensive equipment, I may not be able to afford to go out in the end....What a dilemma.   ???

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 04, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Skipper, I hear you on the breaking part!  I spend so much time carefully laying out, organizing my gear & protecting it.  But for some reason, the end of the day, those $50-$100 rods get tossed in the bucket with everything else,(beer cans/bottles) and not put back in the nice cases I have for them.  Snap!  Being 1/2 in the bag at the end of the day may be the main reason! ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Nov 04, 2009, 09:57 PM »
I am going to pick up a couple Jason Mitchell rods for myself this year. They seem to be priced reasonably, and I want to see what the hubbub is all about. I am done with St Croix, they just don't build them well. I don't think you should have to inspect the rods for defects when they are asking $50 for them. I see allot of very positive reviews for YAD rods, but no one can seem to find them anymore.

As far as conventional wisdom on rods, I am not the guy to talk to. I fish with some really weird stuff for panfish, and I hate long rods. I fish out of a Voyager so I have plenty of room, I just hate long rods. I do my own thing, people call me a moron, and I get on with fishing. ;D

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:23 PM »
I ;D I like st.croix, just don't throw them in the bucket.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.