Author Topic: Trip Destination Advice/Input  (Read 1384 times)

Offline RedLund

• IceShanty Rookie
Trip Destination Advice/Input
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Looking for input from other Nebraska ice fishermen. I only get to go on one three day ice fishing trip a season due to work(teacher), I have been to glacial lakes once and got skunked due to lack of time, weather, and unfamiliarity of the region. Wanting to go back up there and learn some more but have also been pondering the refuge lakes. I have never been there and would actually be an hour or 2 closer for me to drive to. I would be mainly after panfish but both regions offer other catches as well. My concern with the refuge is how far from lodging are you, does lodging in Valentine offer fish cleaning rooms? Im looking more for memorable experiences more so than bringing home tons of fish but it would be nice to bring some eaters home as well. If you have any advice on either areas I'm all ears. If I could I would do  both multiple times an ice season, but unfortunatley its out the question this year. Thanks

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trip Destination Advice/Input
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:08 PM »
I've been to the refuge lakes many times, and SD glacial Lakes region many times. 

I've only made one trip to Valentine in the past 4 years for ice fishing, and about 10 trips to South Dakota over those 4 years. 

For me, the variety of lakes and target species of SD keeps me going back, along with the gathered knowledge from the years of fishing those lakes.  I have much more confidence making the extra 2 hours drive to Webster. Being able to drive a truck on the lakes, or ATV at least is a big plus.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:48 PM »
I've been to the refuge lakes many times, and SD glacial Lakes region many times. 

I've only made one trip to Valentine in the past 4 years for ice fishing, and about 10 trips to South Dakota over those 4 years. 

For me, the variety of lakes and target species of SD keeps me going back, along with the gathered knowledge from the years of fishing those lakes.  I have much more confidence making the extra 2 hours drive to Webster. Being able to drive a truck on the lakes, or ATV at least is a big plus.
I could look for your posts on NEGFA but saw you here. Do you ever ice fish Merrit? Just curious?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Been to The refuge once every year, the last three years, been up to South Dakota at least four times every year the last three years.  I am a sucker for the jumbo perch.    I do feel your pain about been skunked, I just fill overall the trip north has a lot more  potential each time.🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:21 PM »
Both places are a blast and both places have HUGE potential, that being said, both places can leave you skunked. That's why they call it fishing, not catching!

Here's my pluses for both locations: North - drive anywhere, unless the snow stops you
                                                     Sandhills - you don't need much string on your poles :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao

Here's my negatives for both: North - need a license for a different state
                                            Sandhills - not as many amenities so more planning is necessary

My two cents. Tight lines!

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:27 AM »
I could look for your posts on NEGFA but saw you here. Do you ever ice fish Merrit? Just curious?
Keep it safe! JDL

I have spent more time open water fishing Merritt, but mainly targeting musky.

I've only spent a couple days ice fishing Merritt, with limited success.

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:51 AM »
The Trade Winds in valentine has a fish cleaning shack, decent priced rooms, 30-40 mins from the refuge and merritt.  Fish the refuge for a day or two, then maybe hit merritt.  Merritt can be tough though if you're not familiar with the lake.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:20 AM »
Some fish here that were pulled through the ice at Merritt late last winter:

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2018/03/fits-and-starts/

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline viasandhillgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:17 PM »
Trade winds Motel has fish cleaning station for its guests. 30 minutes from refuge close to good meals like the Pepper mill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.