Author Topic: Panhandle Ice Fishing  (Read 4716 times)

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Had To Reach Way Down Inside
Panhandle Ice Fishing
« on: Oct 19, 2004, 09:53 AM »
I just bought a house in northeast Colorado about 40 50 minutes from Sidney.
Any ideas for great Nebraska ice fishing??

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Panhandle Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2004, 09:17 PM »
Crescent Lake National Refuge, an hour N of Oshkosh, has some of the best panfish and bass lakes in the state. Box Butte Res. and Whitney are both in reach for a day's outing on pike and eyes.

Good weekend trip to Merritt and Valentine Nat. Refuge is a must. Call ahead for ice conditions, they change fast.

Good luck
dc

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2004, 12:17 AM »
Crescent Lake National Refuge, an hour N of Oshkosh, has some of the best panfish and bass lakes in the state. Box Butte Res. and Whitney are both in reach for a day's outing on pike and eyes.

Good weekend trip to Merritt and Valentine Nat. Refuge is a must. Call ahead for ice conditions, they change fast.

Good luck
dc
Sounds Great Buddy!!!! I have heard of some awesome Walleye fishing at Whitney, but now I can go find out for myself!!
Any great Bluegill lakes? As well as Crappie?

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2004, 11:36 PM »
Merritt is a great Crappie lake. Calamus is a sleeper for slabs, but is only fishable in harsh winters.

Gills spots are less predictable. The drought smacked these sandhill lakes. The best rule of thumb I can offer is fish for gills in lakes that don't have pike. As the water went down it pushed everything out into Mr. Pike's feed zone. The few gills that are left in a lot of these lakes are either very big or very smart. We iced several pound+ gills last year with chew marks up to the dorsal fin. They just wouldn't quite fit.

I can't do much fishing in the summer but when the ice is on I'm gone. We just finalized a business in Crawford so will be making the 150mi. trek west every few weeks. Maybe we will meet on the ice somewhere.

dc

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2004, 05:37 AM »
Hey Rockit,

Boxbutte was just unreal last year for huge gills and big crappie. And you tipups will keep you busy all day for Pike. Then stay on the lake a couple hours after sunset for the bonus eyes.

Oliver just 8 mile west of Kimball if we get a cold winter has some great walleye with some monster Tiger Muskie.

And I have a secret lake just across the Wyoming border that is a real sleeper that we have pulled Walleye up to 12lbs out of also get lots of bass, and crappie out of there. The only problem with this lake is all the trout and catfish that bother you through the day.

What town in Colorado?

hope some of this helps

Jaymz

Offline buckshot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stepping lightly yet!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2004, 10:38 AM »
I go with what was already mentioned, Box Butte I think is one of the best out in the panhandle region.  Merrit last year early was very spotty to say the least, when the Snake arm gets good ice thats the one to be on at Merritt.  The refuge lakes were decent last year for pike but no panfish.  They did drain Hackberry this year there and it helped the water level on Clear.  Pelican on the refuge was best last year for pike, but like they said call ahead for ice conditions for sure.

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2004, 10:27 PM »
Thank you, Thank You, Thank You!!! Thanks to all who have opened my eyes to the great ice fishing in Nebraska!!!!! I am going to have a blast this year!!

Offline 1coldchemist

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2004, 10:38 AM »

And I have a secret lake just across the Wyoming border that is a real sleeper that we have pulled Walleye up to 12lbs out of also get lots of bass, and crappie out of there. The only problem with this lake is all the trout and catfish that bother you through the day.

Hey Jaymz
  I'm from Laramie and I believe I know the "secret" lake across the Wyoming border you speak of.  We've hit it several times in the summer and done well with crappies and 4 inch catfish.  Did you catch those fish through the ice?  It seems like it wouldn't freeze over that well.  We're always looking for new ice fishing holes that have more than just trout in them.  Thanks!
mmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . ice

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2004, 06:33 PM »
hey 1coldchemist,

sounds like the same lake. Yes I do very good through the ice last year biggest eye through the ice was 8#.

It is only 5 miles from my house so i hit it alot.

right now the fishing out there is doin pretty well out there.

e-mail me it you want a few tips for some reason the lake doesnt like to give up the walleye on a traditional minnow through the ice.

later Jaymz

Offline 1coldchemist

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater fanatic!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2004, 08:49 PM »
Jaymz
  Man it would be great if you could keep us updated on ice conditions out there.  There are two of us here that are just ice fishing fanatics but want to catch some warmwater species.  There's great trout fishing around Laramie but it gets old after awhile.  We should get together out there sometime this winter.  Thanks!
mmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . ice

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2004, 06:40 PM »
1coldchemist,

I definately will keep you updated on the conditions. Once it gets close I cant help my self but i usually check the ice out there twice a day.

will have to meet up some time out there I will keep you posted.

Its weird out there but it isnt unusal to catch alot of bass out there through the ice most of them pushing four pounds.

I will keep you updated.

later Jaymz

vikzilla

« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2004, 10:29 AM »
I'm transplanted in Nebraska from Northern MN.  I would love to get an Ice fishing fix without going back to the homeland.

This Box Butte reference catches my eye. The charateristics on the NE lake map are mindful of home.  Could someone be a little more specific by chance as to areas to fish.  Panfish usually being my favorite activity.

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2004, 07:05 PM »
hey Vikzilla,

If you looked at map the place to fish is Hunter's point. You just go west from the dam and it is the middle access point. There is a huge weed flat out there and the channel swings in close to shore. This is a panfish haven.

But you can catch panfish any where in the western parts of the lake.

need anymore info people will give you plenty on this lake

jaymz

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2004, 06:04 AM »
          HEY JAYMZ          WOULD THAT LITTLE LAKE YOURE TALKING ABOUT BE JUST OUTSIDE OF TORRINGTON.I GO DOWN THERE ONCE A MONTH FOR FEED  AND HAVE FISHED IT IN THE SPRING.IF IT PRODUCES IN THE WINTER I MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE MY ICE FISHING GEAR AND GIVE IT A TRY.I CAN GET ALL THE TROUT I WANT AT PATHFINDER BUT SOME FRIED PANFISH IS MUCH BETTER EATING.                    ELKMAN

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:46 PM »
Hey elkman,

sorry didnt get back to you right away, but you are correct it is just south of Torrington and the ice fishing is great.

have fun
                               jaymz

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2004, 05:21 PM »

What town in Colorado?

I live just north of Holyoke. I am eagerly waiting for ice!!!! My good friend who is a Pastor, can't wait to take his son ice fishing. And since he's from Canada, he loves it just as much!!! And besides, what would be more lucky than fishing with a pastor....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.