The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Over nighter on onota  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
Over nighter on onota
« on: Feb 12, 2023, 12:08 PM »
got Out for my first time this year figured I’d do my overnight trip on onota for some smelt and like fishing the next morning. Started out jigging in the pop up and caught a handful of good sized crappie. Ended up with only 5 smelt overnight and other groups weren’t getting many. Set the tip ups out about 430 and first bite didn’t come till about 7 and it got me my first pile of the trip. Second flag I pulled the smelt from a pike and left some good gashes. Got another smaller pike and landed my first smallie through the ice ended up going 3lbs 11 ounces. Got the drone out for a couple cool videos.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Over nighter on onota
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2023, 02:58 PM »
Looks like a good trip👍

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2023, 03:47 PM »
I was out there as well. Got skunked on the smelt and doubled down on pike in the am. Only had one run and spit on a big dead golden. It looked like a zoo over by the ramp. Was a beautiful night and day.

Offline MR WOZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2023, 04:51 PM »
Was fishing right near you today……you guys had a nice set up there!

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2023, 06:13 PM »
Nice job

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2023, 07:50 PM »
This is was my 5th trip on onota over the years have yet to have a good night with the smelt. 2 years ago some older guys left with a 5 gallon bucket full and still ended up with only a handful. Still a great time. Set up right to the side of the pier early knowing guys would be setting up there had the only flags flying till about 10am and took off. Debated on heading across from the ramp usually do good with the tip ups by the house that sticks out a little.

I was out there as well. Got skunked on the smelt and doubled down on pike in the am. Only had one run and spit on a big dead golden. It looked like a zoo over by the ramp. Was a beautiful night and day.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2023, 07:05 AM »
This is was my 5th trip on onota over the years have yet to have a good night with the smelt. 2 years ago some older guys left with a 5 gallon bucket full and still ended up with only a handful. Still a great time. Set up right to the side of the pier early knowing guys would be setting up there had the only flags flying till about 10am and took off. Debated on heading across from the ramp usually do good with the tip ups by the house that sticks out a little.
Thats where I was. Dead zone. Everyone got skunked. But that's the way she goes. I probably could of got a couple rats if I downsized bait but I was looking for size.
I've probably smelted there 6 or 7 times and only did well once. Probably had half a bucket that night. It's very hit or miss from what I gathered. But I've noticed increased catching around the moon

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2023, 08:44 AM »
Ive done well there a few times but not on the left side. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2023, 08:48 AM »
Thats where I was. Dead zone. Everyone got skunked. But that's the way she goes. I probably could of got a couple rats if I downsized bait but I was looking for size.
I've probably smelted there 6 or 7 times and only did well once. Probably had half a bucket that night. It's very hit or miss from what I gathered. But I've noticed increased catching around the moon

I gave it a go yesterday.  Hung 3 sizeable suckers and a smelt.  My buddy got a rat on a grocery store smelt and had something take a perch in 40 feet of water but per usual it wrapped him around a rock and he had to break his mainline.  I've caught smelt every time I've gone but only had one banner night but the crappie will keep you busy.  I did get like a 3lb channel catfish jigging yesterday and a solid ice tan.
westernmas on the finder

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2023, 05:51 PM »
Great job Congrats
MA

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2023, 04:13 AM »
I have been wanting to do this for a few years and I think I finally have everything I need. I wanted to go last Friday night into Saturday,  but the wind scared me off. Wished I would have joined you guys on Saturday night instead.
I will be giving it a go on Saturday night into Sunday. I will be by myself in a black 6 sided shelter, so stop by and say hi. Always better with some company, especially for the first time going in blind. I have read all the posts on ice camping and Onota smelting, but any advice is appreciated.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2023, 05:43 AM »
One thing this year that got me with the new pop up. When using your heater make sure you have good ventilation. Took a half hour Power Nap and woke because my heater had shut off. Went to change the tank and I couldn’t get it lit back up. Went next door to see if someone had a lighter so I could try manually lighting it. Tried lighting it one more time without a lighter outside the shanty and it lit back up. Guy reminded me they have a low oxygen sensor and will shut down and that’s why it wasn’t lighting inside. Cracked a window to get a little extra air movement going.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2023, 05:48 AM »
Wow. I think you're lucky you woke up from that power nap. Thanks for the heads up though. The first item on my list is a battery powered CO detector. Being an overnight newbie, this is my #1 fear.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2023, 08:26 AM »
It was a miserable night for me. I remember need a insulated shack. The buddy wasn't enough for my uninsulated 6x12. I could sew my breath all night and had Chinese water torture. I got 3 hours of sleep though which was enough

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2023, 08:36 AM »
You're braver than me!  The shack is insulated and I have a Big Buddy so should be fine.  Also bringing a portable propane firepit.  This thing rips.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2023, 10:07 AM »
Wow. I think you're lucky you woke up from that power nap. Thanks for the heads up though. The first item on my list is a battery powered CO detector. Being an overnight newbie, this is my #1 fear.

I use 2.  One goes up on the ceiling, the important one goes in a pocket near the floor.  Low o2 shut off has confused and killed many fisherman.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2023, 10:13 AM »
Funny because I actually just watched a video of an ice fisherman that got caught with low o2 he had finished fishing and was packing up when he started getting light headed and blacking out.  I never sleep longer than 30 minutes while I overnight it. Usually only do 1-3 power naps while I’m out there.   New shanty I picked up only has the roof insulated didn’t feel like dropping twice as much for a fully insulated. When the kids are older and plan on doing the trip with them I’ll definitely be picking up a fully insulated pop up. But for maybe one overnight a year the Frabill Shelter Hub 260 Fortress for $190 was perfect sucks because now it’s priced at $100 on l&m supply

I use 2.  One goes up on the ceiling, the important one goes in a pocket near the floor.  Low o2 shut off has confused and killed many fisherman.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2023, 10:31 AM »
If you want to borrow my otter resort you are more than welcome, I use the flipover 99% of the time.  The first overnighters I did was a full weekend on champ (see ice camping thread in general board) and it was -6 both nights.  Used un-insulated and 0 degree bag and heat.  1# bottles, big mistake.  No ceiling fan, big mistake.  Didnt sleep much.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2023, 10:58 AM »
      I don't blame you Jon especially because the heater isn't the only thing burning constantly in your shanty.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2023, 11:50 AM »
Lol. Confusion can come from many inhaled substances. :whistle:
Important to distinguish.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2023, 01:09 PM »
      I don't blame you Jon especially because the heater isn't the only thing burning constantly in your shanty.

Vin you know me all to well....

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:38 AM »
Awesome
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com