The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hyalite and Hebgen  (Read 1534 times)

Offline dperch

• IceShanty Rookie
Hyalite and Hebgen
« on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Hi new to the site and just wondering if anyone has heard much about conditions at Hyalite or Hebgen.

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hyalite and Hebgen
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I've been wondering about Hebgen also.  The old boys around Butte/Bozeman used to say that when the pond on top of Pipestone Pass is frozen, Hebgen was ready to fish.   

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Once you get 5 posts under your belt you can accsess the reports and conditions page of the Montana community. I just posted an update there. post twice more here then check it out.

Offline dperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Thanks. I've never fished there and so could anyone tell me an assortment of lures that could catch some fish. Not looking for secret lures but just what may catch some fish.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Thanks. I've never fished there and so could anyone tell me an assortment of lures that could catch some fish. Not looking for secret lures but just what may catch some fish.

Sent you a PM

Offline allweather fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:47 PM »
I live in bozeman and im trying to find new places to go i usually go to cf but that seems to be a few weeks out. any ideas? ???
Here fishy fishy...

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I live in bozeman and im trying to find new places to go i usually go to cf but that seems to be a few weeks out. any ideas? ???

After you post 5 times you can view the conditions board under the montana section.  This will give you ice thickness for each lake and then you will know when CF is good to go.  As far as things that are around the area, almost everything is fishable but it will only have 3 to 4" so BE CAREFUL!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Thank you have you heard anything about the fishing at hylite this year
Here fishy fishy...

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:37 PM »
From everything here on this site, there are quite a few making it out that way.  They have been doing fairly well and pulling some trout through the ice.  The ice is around that 3-4" mark.  The last report said something about the weather being just a touch warmer than down in the valley so the ice isn't growing too fast but they at least didn't have to fight with any slush.  Most everyone seems to be reporting on the first parking lot near the dam so that might be where to start until the ice thickens up.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Cool im going to try to get up there tommorow or saturday. have you heard anything about whats working up there?
Here fishy fishy...

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Haven't really read too much about that this year.  I would go prepared with maggots and worms and fish some small jigs or bugs, that's all I can say for sure.  Let us know how it goes!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Will do i usually have good luck with about any black fly tipped with a maggot on cf so thats where ill prob start thanks for your help
Here fishy fishy...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Went up to hylite today posted my report on the conditions page
Here fishy fishy...

Offline TightlineMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2012, 01:31 AM »
If you fish Hebgen, i would probably not get too close to the dam... water is still going over the spillway the last time i drove by... so there is moving current on top there in the corners. Same goes for up in grayling arm... would not ride a sled up there due to various springs in the arm. We have had some cold weather this past week or so, but it is now a balmy 25 with a light snow.

How many inches is the ice at the narrows or Kirkwood now Kyle? Guessing it is around 7 or 8?

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:22 PM »
It would be great if I could get a solid report on the narrows, is there lots of snow on the ice or slush?Want to take my son from Mn.He's never iced a decent trout.

Offline TightlineMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2012, 01:58 AM »
Hey flylinemt, just drove down to Shedhorn in Ennis today (santa had to shop for himself :whistle:)...

Did not have time to stop and check ice depth, but no one was fishing the narrows... no tracks either... but we have had more than a foot of snow in the last few days. Lots of wet slush spots visible while driving along the north shore. No one visible fishing the WHOLE lake! There were some tracks that went across the lake to the south bank from the highway, between Kirkwood and the dam. They may have already called it a day as that was around 2pm.

There was a hundred yard wide, or more, open water at the spillway. Fish were gulping! Must have been taking midges. Dang... had to keep driving to get to the store and get the background check called in, to bring goodies home... so did not even have time to check out Raynolds, West Fork, or Lyons for noses.

Maybe Kyle will surf through here soon and give us a real ice report. I have just been too tied up to go punch holes with my new Nils that i am just itching to get out. With my 2012 season mt state outfitter logs due, i will not be out until after the New Year.

But i can tell you yes, there is lots of snow on the ice, and yes there were dark wet slushy looking spots.

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Thanks TightlineMT, We was gong to head that way tomorrow , but won't unless Kyle or somebody has something good to report. probably have to wait a couple weeks.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:31 AM »
Fished the Narrows Saturday actually. Was a bit slow, earlier was better(before 9). There is some slush, about 3 inches, but a lot of it was crusted up. With the snow we have gotten it's probably a bit softer and deeper now. The ice was 4-5 inches easy and you could walk all the way across. Some later arrivals did. Sorry if I'm a bit late, but let me know flyline when you might be around.

Offline excursion2096

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Fished the south end of hyalite this weekend did very well in the later part of the evening with brookey's and a few cutthroat. 

Offline chummin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Anyone been on Hebgen in the last week or so? I imagine the ice would be plenty thick with the cold weather that's been settling in the area. Has the fishing improved much?

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2013, 02:49 PM »
I went to Hebgen last Saturday.  Ice is plenty thick.  Fishing is hit and miss...really good or really tough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.