Author Topic: Do you herd Pike???  (Read 11345 times)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Do you herd Pike???
« on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:14 PM »
I know this sounds wierd but I went Pike fishing with a guy this last weekend and he did something I've never heard of anyone doing.  He herded the fish toward our gear. 

Basically while I finished setting up our gear he walked probably an eighth of a mile away from our holes in a big arc and hammered on the ice with the Spud.  Not long after we got two on at once....

Coincidence or Strategy?   He claims it works....  I'm not so sure...

Does anyone else do this?

Good Fishing  :tipup:

pcsminer

Re: Do you herd Pike???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2007, 05:56 AM »
Well if the fishing is slow we will take our snowmobile and drive around the area. Thinking that if there is something in the area just sitting on the bottom the noise might entice a feeding frenzie. I mean if they aren't biting it can't hurt!! :tipup:

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2007, 08:59 AM »
i know that a fish that has taken a bait in shallow water and has stopped can be made to move off again by walking out from the whole in the direction of the line and then scraping the ice with your cleats! so sound does have an affect on pike.   d. b. d.      :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2007, 09:54 AM »
So maybe there is something to this...  I will have to keep that in mind next time they aren't biting.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:16 PM »
We used to play loud music and point the speakers downward at the ice when pike fishing.  I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but it seemed to help.  In fact, we seemed to catch fish more often even during certain songs - Aerosmith's "Eat The Rich" comes to mind as one that worked really well.

Again, it may have been coincidence, but that doesn't change the fact that we caught fish doing it ...

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:50 PM »
Now that sounds like something I'd like to try!
 ;D

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Very Interresting. May have to pop in a cd with some serious base next time we are out. I have noticed that every time the train goes by the lake we always catch a few fish. Things that make you go HMMMMM.....

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:08 PM »
Nope.  It is illegal in NY.

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:31 AM »
I know this is an old thread but thought I would jump start it again. 

Not just for Pike, but anytime we had tip-ups set for any length of time without action, we would start moving around the holes...just walking.  We would make sure that each hole was visited and then come back to our "base camp".  Almost always, within five minutes of returning (sometimes sooner) a flag or two would pop up.  We used to call it driving for fish.  I don't know why, but it worked.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2007, 03:31 PM »

I know its an old post but why would walking around on the ice making some noise by your tipups be illegal ?
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline baby sitter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:18 PM »
When the fishing dies off, I walk a few 100 yards and drill more holes to wake up the fish. Plus it gives you more options to fish.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:33 PM »
if i start setting up while my friends are drilling with the gas auger, i seem to get a good burst of flags  ???

also, on days when i go out with just the chipper, i seem to get no flags for about the first 30 minutes, then suddenly a burst of 4 or 5

this happened about 4 times on the same lake in 2 weeks  ::)

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:36 PM »
It is? What a dumb thing to make illegal. I love NY but sometimes it really gets rediculous with these regulations.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:01 AM »
It is? What a dumb thing to make illegal. I love NY but sometimes it really gets rediculous with these regulations.

I looked and could find no such reg. Just imagine an eco handing out tickets for stomping your feet on the ice near tip ups. LOL

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:24 AM »
I looked and could find no such reg. Just imagine an eco handing out tickets for stomping your feet on the ice near tip ups. LOL
haha phew. That would be rediculous, even for NY.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2007, 11:56 AM »
If they gave you a ticket for that i dont think id be tellin my buddies.Dont think theyd quit laughin at ya. :laugh: Have had flags after running to other flags walking around the tip ups but never thought nothin of it.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2007, 02:27 PM »
I know this sounds wierd but I went Pike fishing with a guy this last weekend and he did something I've never heard of anyone doing.  He herded the fish toward our gear. 

Basically while I finished setting up our gear he walked probably an eighth of a mile away from our holes in a big arc and hammered on the ice with the Spud.  Not long after we got two on at once....

Coincidence or Strategy?   He claims it works....  I'm not so sure...

Does anyone else do this?

yes i thought it was a coincidence until one day i fired up the jiffy and like clockwork got a flag, again and again  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2007, 03:47 PM »
In-Fisherman has done articles on hearding pike. It seems to work for me. When they lie in the weeds like logs, you stir them up and they often bite on the deep edge. This seems to work best in spring when they sun themselves in the shallows.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:37 AM »
just got out today and when i started the jiffy up for another hole, about 3 seconds later, a tip up 50 feet away goes off. happened twice today  :o

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:30 PM »
 We dont get pike in our neck of the woods but with chain pickerel ive noticed many times that the bite would be real slow until someone would set up dwon from us a ways and start drilling holes, then we'd start catching again but it would always be short lived
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2007, 06:56 AM »
Guys, I believe the regulation is for putting on fish drives. This regulation is true. But it is as far as I know for the tributaries to Lake Ontario. They do not want people pushing fish back into a hole by walking through where they are holding. Allowing fisherman a easier chance to hook them in a easier area. If you look in the great lakes section of the New York Regulations it should be in there.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2007, 04:26 PM »
Guys, I believe the regulation is for putting on fish drives. This regulation is true. But it is as far as I know for the tributaries to Lake Ontario. They do not want people pushing fish back into a hole by walking through where they are holding. Allowing fisherman a easier chance to hook them in a easier area. If you look in the great lakes section of the New York Regulations it should be in there.
2 completely different things. We are talking about making some noise on the ICE. I know the reg your talking about it was specificaly put into place for the fall Salmon and Trout runs when people can actually see fish and push them to their YAHOO buddies so they can snag them.

As many guys have said I can't tell you how many times I will take a loud stroll  around my spread, I'll drill holes for the hell of it the whole nine yards. Plain and simple it works.  How many times have you walked by a tip up and  :tipup: ,  It happens to me numerous times through out the season.

I started a thread about this in feb of 04 look thru it its pretty funny. Its entitled "walking by tip ups and they go off"

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2007, 04:44 PM »
this does seem to happen a lot. I may start walking around a little more this year

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:46 PM »
I think it works, I'm going to start doing it more often. Heck, after doing this last weekend, I fought a huge northern for an hour and a half untill it snapped my jigrod in half. -adkiceman and I got about 10 feet away from my rod before it started smokin' off line.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:45 PM »
We do this often. We will start by walking around our set and progressively pick it up with using the spud bar and banging and then using the ATVs. It seems to stimulate the action so we continue to do it - not sure now out of boredom sometimes or out of tradition. We get some strange looks occasionally, but that just keeps the lurkers away.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:24 PM »
I Just happened to see this topic, & had to tell ya. There have been many times over the years, Just for the laugh, I would get out away from my fishing buds & do a "fish dance". (Stomping my feet/ waving my arms/ hooting & hollerin'/etc.), & quite often we would get flags & fish on!. This happened often enough, that now, when times are slow. They Ask me to do it.  HAHAHA  Never occured to me that I was "herding the fish....   LMAO ;D
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:01 PM »
I've noticed that when I fire up the auger and start drilling more holes when fishing is slow a flag often pops up.  First time I thought it was a coincidence but it happens way too often not to make me think there is something to this.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:27 PM »
No doubt something to it...not just for Northerns either...i have seen it myself and been told by others sometimes when your walking to check a tip up or to take it out when leaving it the flag will all of a sudden go up with a fish on it. Its like they think someone is coming to steal the bait!  ;D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Very Interresting. May have to pop in a cd with some serious base next time we are out. I have noticed that every time the train goes by the lake we always catch a few fish. Things that make you go HMMMMM.....

If you did that when I was icefishing I'd probably come over and yank the CD and break it in half.  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2008, 02:17 PM »
DEC has better things to do trust me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.